YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 84-85 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Drop drag link?

I know Hysteer is superior, but won't a DDL allow my lifted trucks left/right return to stockish specs w a 4" lift. I'm looking at a used one for $40. Don't know what brand, may be for 5" lift though. Will it work on a 3.5-4" lift?. This is a DD that gets abused now and then, no Rockcrawler. Any replies are welcome.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
mommucked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #2

i have a 6 inch lift and no problems with steering wats so ever what are your probs
new 35 kevlars 6500 miles on 22r bored 40 over 268 torquer cam from eb port and polished head bigger valves etc headmen comp header 40 series on 2.5 pipe way to much to list and motor is balanced for them high rpms all day
creswellhick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
Threadstarter [OP]

Won't turn as sharp to the right w the lifts pull on the stock rod. I assume the lift one is longer? to move the steering arm back to the middle of it's range w wheels straight?

Last edited by mommucked; 01-08-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
Threadstarter [OP]

I bought it and a tourqe rod bracket.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #5

It's too bad nobody has found a way to convert the drag link in these to the chebby style TRE found on those push-pull steering systems.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
Threadstarter [OP]

The aftermarket link is longer than the solid stock one, and the length looks to be adjustable. It is also robust!
Old 01-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #7

I need to address mine....My drag link is rubbing my u-bolt. I have 3" springs up front. I assume a dropped drag link is the only remedy?

1983 Toyota LB 4x4--parts truck

2011 GMC Z71--2.5" Leveling Kit, 33" M/T's
southernZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernZ View Post
I need to address mine....My drag link is rubbing my u-bolt. I have 3" springs up front. I assume a dropped drag link is the only remedy?

HySteer will remedy it also....
rokblok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #9
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernZ View Post
Yes, cross over steering (swap) or flipping the ball on the steering j-arm or if it is mild rubbing, OME sells some flat sided u-bolts for the front axle. A dropped d-link may or may not help. It will put the lower end more horizontal due to the S-shape of the link, but I found my old dropped drag link ends were fatter than the OEM drag link. So you gain some on the better angle but lose some on the size:

Click the image to open in full size.
Project: 4Crawler
4Crawler OffRoad - YotaTech discount code
Gettin'Off 4WD Club
4Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #10
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

flip the ball stud

and buy new tie rod ends and drag link ends ..

how 2 and more on the topic http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33240.0

86 4x4 , fiberglass bed , 1/2 doors , hood ... more to come .
84 2WD "hotrod" Intercooled 7MGTE CURRENT PROJECT
83 Trekker SR5 DONE June 2011
2WD fourm I frequent
NEW Trekker forum

Last edited by slacker; 01-25-2012 at 04:14 PM.
slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #11
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker View Post
flip the ball stud

and buy new tie rod ends and drag link ends ..

how 2 and more on the topic http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33240.0

Note that you'll either need a dropped drag link or a modified stock drag link to do this. Why? Because the stock drag link ends won't match up to the ball studs after you flip the lower one. The dropped drag links have the adjustable rod ends, so it is a simple matter to spin one end around to line up. Also the S-shape of the dropped link helps keep the lower rod end parallel to the top of the steering arm. With the stock fixed drag link, you end up with an angle on the ball stud and as the front suspension droops, that angle increases and if you have enough wheel travel, that rod end will max. out it's angle and then start twisting/pulling on the J-arm and that is typically what stresses them and causes them to fail as some point in time.
Project: 4Crawler
4Crawler OffRoad - YotaTech discount code
Gettin'Off 4WD Club
4Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #12
Threadstarter [OP]

Thumbs up

Well I finally got around to installing it tonight and It definately improved my steering w a 3.5' lift. It steers smoother and more precise and bump steer and wandering are about gone on any paved roads. I adjusted length to match between the 2 grease nipples on each rod and the steering arm is perfectly aligned w the stops on the PS unit going straight ahead. Now I just have to turn my steering wheel rightside up as it's perfectly upside down now!!! The draglink came off a truck w 7.5 lift and was adjusted way too small for it or my stock rod length I think the guy just put it on out of the box. Also super genious only had the side bolts installed on the torque rod raised bracket I also got w the deal. It was not welded either making it about useless for it's purpose IMO. I passed on the S shaped double cheap heim joint adjustable torque rod. I used the cups and springs etc. from my rod, the ones in the drop draglink were ungreased, rusted and shot to ˟˟˟˟. Had to heat one end of the rod end to unscrew the plug to get it off the salvage truck, and the rod itself to adjust it. It cleaned up well though. I'll add the bracket soon..................... Put on the bracket and it helped too! torque steer is much less when standing on the brakes now. and bumps in the road seem smoother than before. I have cycled the suspension and swing of the DDL, and It has plenty of clearance from the U bolts, my springs are pretty stiff though.

Last edited by mommucked; 01-29-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1985, adjustible, drag, draglink, lifted, link, modified, pickup, shape, sharp, toyota, truck, turn, vehicles, wont