84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

AC Retrofit Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 03:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm saying, all of the aftermarket driers that are XH7/XH9 is R12 compatible... so no need for any wild goose chase for some obsolete part

So if you want OEM quality, just get the denso aftermarket stuff.. way cheaper than from toyota for the same thing in many cases... and like I already said, denso only sells the original equivalent part, not any of those special retrofit parts like that TSB shows... so NO real guarantee whether they're 134a compatible or not, BUT I'm using one in my van and no problems... but just because it works for me, doesn't mean it's the same case on the trucks (they are different parts afterall)
Old 03-08-2011, 07:49 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks, 'The MAN', appreciate it!
Old 03-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The MAN
that isn't really true... where I worked, we used to do retrofits on some cars... in order to do it legally, you must remove R12 from the system using a recovery machine (the only legal method), and then do all your necessary retrofitting work (only legal requirement per EPA are the service ports, they don't care how well the system works due to wrong parts).
Sorry for any misinformation I might have given, I wasnt trying to say that retrofiting a system was illegal, I was replying to a post about only putting on R134 service ports on and going to the shop to get it serviced. I got my EPA certification in California and was told lots of things in class, one being that it is illegal to cross contaminate refrigerant. I was also told that it is the law that you must use an identifier prior to service, which I have since learned is not true either. Anyway, it is nice to have someone knowledgable on the subject and validify my point that you cannot just simply fill it up with R134 and all will be good, welcome to yotatech "MAN".
Old 03-09-2011, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to pick up the system next week and will see what else I need to get before the install. I'll keep you all posted on the progress. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:07 PM

I'm picking the system up this Friday. I am going to see if I can find the vacuum pieces tomorrow. If not, a friend of mine has mentioned there may be a slight possibility of using a Chevy/Holly AC Idle up solenoid and wiring it to the compressor to idle up if we can't find the VSV anywhere local. If I can't get the piece local, I am going to install the system and then run it over there to his shop to see what we can come up with for idle up. Before we do anything crazy, I want to get the system in and tested first.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:38 PM

I've Just replaced all my O-Rings with Denso suckers, ..... even on top of the compressor(mine were CHUNKIJUWAIAH! , LOL) OEM Drier will be here, Friday,.... hooking it up by next week(as soon as my neighbor finds a spot for me!). I'm doing R12, but I'll be watching for any hiccups to watch out for..... BEST WISHES, ACI! .........Watchin
Old 03-17-2011, 01:22 PM

Quick question... I went to the junk yard today and found an 85 2wd 22r pickup. I pulled the VSV valve from the passenger fender well and the idle up diaphragm from of the carb. Someone mentioned that there was an idle up switch under the dash on a 22r. Can anybody tell me where that would be? I pulled the wiring harness that connects to the blower, AC Controller, etc, and didn't see any switch that I could find.

Are there any other switches or electrical pieces I may need to go scalp from the yard that I have missed? There is supposed to be an AC switch included with the AC setup I am picking up tomorrow. That's a good thing because the push button on the AC switch on the truck at the junkyard was broken.

Thanks
Old 03-17-2011, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by acicomp
Quick question... I went to the junk yard today and found an 85 2wd 22r pickup. I pulled the VSV valve from the passenger fender well and the idle up diaphragm from of the carb. Someone mentioned that there was an idle up switch under the dash on a 22r. Can anybody tell me where that would be? I pulled the wiring harness that connects to the blower, AC Controller, etc, and didn't see any switch that I could find.

Are there any other switches or electrical pieces I may need to go scalp from the yard that I have missed? There is supposed to be an AC switch included with the AC setup I am picking up tomorrow. That's a good thing because the push button on the AC switch on the truck at the junkyard was broken.

Thanks
AC idle up is incorporated into the "A/C" switch in the ehater control panel. That button turns on both the idle up vacuum switch on the fender AND the clutch to the compressor. It probably does other things to like power up the A/C amplifier, etc. Touch and GO!

Just some devices at the back of my mind other than the plumbing...
Low pressure switch.
AC amplifier (built into the evaporator box)
Fuse harness that piggybacks on the evaporator box.

Last edited by XtraSlow_XtraCab; 03-17-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the ac switch info. I did grab the fuse harness today. I'll see what I end up with when I pick up the complete setup. If something like the low pressure switch is missing, I'll run by the yard and grab one.

Thanks for that info.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:28 AM

Just picked up the system. Does anybody know or have a clue what size bolts go to the compressor and mounting bracket for the 22re? I stopped by the dealer and they had no clue.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:17 AM

UPDATE... I found the compressor and bracket bolts. I went back to the junk yard and just pulled all the bolts off a donor vehicle. I am going to use some other new nut and bolts for the condenser where it mounts to the radiator support. I will be getting pics as I go along this afternoon and tomorrow. The donor condenser was missing an elbow piece of the mounting bracket, so I plan to use some sheet metal in place of that bracket to mount it in place correctly so it will be lined up right.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:44 PM

Sweet, ACI! Good fine.... Hope it slaps together quick-like!
Old 03-18-2011, 12:44 PM

PS> ....still no UPS here.... should not have been holding my breath on getting that Drier when they said! hahaha.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:46 PM

I found a cheap one here local thankfully.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:52 PM

Some Progress

Well, I was able to get a few things done on the AC this evening between the phone ringing and having to go find a new bolt.

I started by removing the grill, hood latch and front support bar for the latch and ended up with this...
Name:  DSC_0043.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  60.8 KB

I went ahead and installed the condenser and old receiver and hard line back to the firewall. I'll swap out the receiver tomorrow morning. This pic doesn't show the hard line connected, but I will try to remember to snap one in the morning.
Name:  DSC_0048.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  70.9 KB

I went ahead and started with the compressor install next. I removed the 4 needed bolts from the timing cover and the water pump. Then I installed the bracket using the longer bolts I pulled from the donor truck earlier today. I also had three bolts to go in the side of the bracket against the block. There were several different size bolts that were used here, so I can definitely understand now why there were no takers earlier in trying to help identify the bolt sizes for the install. I went ahead and installed the compressor next by using the four long bolts from the donor truck at the junk yard.
Name:  DSC_0111.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  39.7 KB

It was starting to get late so I decided I would go ahead and add the VSV while I was at it. (Something easy, right? HA!!!!) It appears that the wiring is a little different between the VSV on an 84 and 85. My 84 is equipped with a 4-wire connector on the harness and the 85 donor had a 3-wire. The colors match so I will just splice them in tomorrow. I also have to T in the vac lines and add the idle-up diaphragm to the carb in the morning. Other than that, in theory, I should just have to hook up my high/low pressure lines to the compressor and condenser tomorrow under the hood and then start pulling some dash pieces and add in the cooling unit so I can hook up the lines there. Then there is that AC Switch left as well.

Well, hopefully it will be "finished" up tomorrow and ready to cool things down.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:32 PM

Woot, pics! Nice work, coming along, eh? Can't wait to hear your getting chilled by your new AC, man!

I can't wait for mine, either! lol. Watchin!
Old 03-18-2011, 07:46 PM

I'm keeping an eye over on your build thread Chef and hopefully get to see you chillin' out soon too. I see you have another issue your dealing with right now as well. I'll post back up tomorrow to let you know how the progress is going. Hopefully it goes smooth, but if not, Yotatech is my first and last line of defense on getting things straightened out on my projects. I had taken a couple of more pics of the install, but something went haywire when I was transferring them to my computer. Oh well, maybe tomorrow...
Old 03-19-2011, 10:43 AM

Well, I am close... Everything is hooked up and should be working. When I hit the AC button, the AC Amplifier starts to hum/buzz and the compressor clutch barely spins. If I jumper the compressor straight to the battery, I have the coldest air possible. Does this sound like a bad amplifier or what?

If I rotate the dial on the ac amplifier, it will quit buzzing until I give the truck some gas and bring up the RPMs. Once I rev it up, the buzzing comes back as long as the RPMs are high. Anyone have any suggestions?

For the wiring on the compressor and idle up, I have a red/black (VSV) that is hooked up, a blue (VSV) that is hooked up, a black/white (compressor) that is hooked up. There is a solid black (??) that is wired, however there is nothing hooked to it under the hood where the VSV plugs in.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Sounds like the amp is bad, or at least the drive relay for the a/c clutch, that is probably what is buzzing. The RPM knob just adjusts the low RPM cutout for the amp.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:09 PM

Do you know where the drive relay is?

Quick Reply: AC Retrofit Question