84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

85 exhaust manifold question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 11:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
85 exhaust manifold question

From searching here I see one of the differences between the older and newer motors is older has one hole in the center of the exhaust manifold vs 2 in the newer. Also there is discussion on drilling a hole in the center to make an older one work. Also it seems there is a difference in the exhaust port shape--round vs pear shape.
The picture is from my 85 that needs new exhaust gasket and I'm trying to figure out which one will be correct. It is not the original motor, but thought it was replaced by one identical. Someone may have drilled a hole here to make things work. I may have to just take out the old one and see what I have, but would like to know what went on here. Seems if it's an older gasket on a newer manifold the port holes in the gasket would not be of the correct shape.
Any comments welcome and thanks for your insights.
Dan
Attached Thumbnails 85 exhaust manifold question-exhaust-002.jpg  
Old 01-28-2015, 01:37 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
That looks totally different than my 85 manifold. Mine doesn't have the erg ports that yours has. I am assuming that these pipes run around the back of the block and plug in to the back of the plenum? Do you have emissions inspections where you live? If so better find a stock one. You "might be able to go to a wrecking yard and pick up a newer exhaust manifold for a 22re, 95 would be the last year of the 22re I believe, that has the erg ports in it. Not totally sure that it will be a direct fit as most I have seen are a single pipe that connects to both exhaust ports and not the multi pipe manifold like you have. Hope this helps
Old 01-28-2015, 01:43 PM

Thanks fishguy,
No emissions testing here. Yes on the pipes. I just want to put an new gasket on. Am thinking now I may have to alter a gasket to make something work here. Maybe the last guy did the same thing.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:04 PM

So what I'm trying to figure out is if I need the 85 gasket or the 84. It does not look like either is correct as mine appears to be an 85 manifold drilled out for an 84 motor. --going by the holes in the lower center of the manifold. Or is there something I'm not catching here? My concern is the port hole shape.
The gasket on the left is for an '84 and the right is for '85.
Attached Thumbnails 85 exhaust manifold question-84-gasket.jpg   85 exhaust manifold question-85-gasket.jpg  
Old 01-28-2015, 05:53 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Could it be a newer head on your motor? I don't know but my 85 doesn't have any of that and mine is OEM. I am sure there is a few variations.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:47 PM

Don't know what I got anymore.
Now that I'm looking don't think either gasket will work. The bolt holes in my manifold don't match either.
Will just have to take the old gasket out and find something to make work. Maybe have to get one that matches the port holes and alter to what is needed.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this on my 84 and my manifold matches yours (PICTURED IS MY NEW REPLACEMENT).

Generally the manifolds will curl over time from the many heat cycles. +90% of the time you will need to have your manifold resurfaced / cut straight and or replaced. Also you will frequently find the rear most bolt to have been overtightened in an attempt to stop the leak. This frequently leads to stripping / pulling the fragile aluminum threads out of that bolt hole. Some toyota dealer techs short cut this repair by using a stud to thread into the head until it bottoms out. This generally allows it to bite into a few new undamaged threads and thus hold the new manifold secure. Otherwise they need a metric helicoil installed or drill / tap to next size up.

Replacement manifolds are slim pickings. There is the universal China / Mexico cast iron manifold from all of the common wholesalers / ebay / rock auto ect. ($70 shipped to my door 8/2015) Or there is the headder.

For my carbureted 84 if I recall correctly my ports were pear shaped. The new gasket and manifold are universal with some holes you use and some you do not.

Last edited by Whitfield; 01-30-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:30 PM

Good to know. Very much appreciated. I'll be sure to take it on when I got enough time to deal with all these possibilities.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am wrong mine were the round exhaust ports, new manifold is round shaped but new gasket was pear shaped. No Worries. It seals up just fine.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:54 PM

OK, so the gasket you got is not like either of the 2 in my post above.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the '85+ gasket.

Last edited by 85TurboRunner; 01-30-2015 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The round port head/gasket if for the 84 and older motors. The pear shaped is for the 85-94 motor. I don't think the 85 had the pipes on like your picture does in the first post. Looks like they are blocked off at the back. Someone may have put them on to block the holes on the manifold. Toyota sells the block off plates for a reasonable price. I think LCE does so as well. If I am correct, those pipes are for the PAIR emissions systems ( no clue what it actually does).

If I recall right, the head has three holes and should accept either the single center or the double center studs. You may want to look into that a little more, I may be wrong on that.

You can order a Dorman replacement manifold from parts stores, ebay, amazon.(like Whitfield is showing).. You want the one with the O2 sensor in the manifold. 88 and newer manifolds will have the O2 blocked off as they install the O2 sensor in the exhaust pipe. That is the reason you will see two different styles of manifolds.

You will want the gasket on the right for the correct manifold gasket.