84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

85 Carby Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 Carby Problems...

ok, i just did a search, and got nada... feel free to correct me!!!
1985 Pup and 22R
anyway, i need some good solid info about our carbs. if im correct, toyota and other manufacturers in 85, started playing around with the idea of electronicly controled carbs... including the choke... Im positive that my yota is run UBER rich during warmup and after it cools off for alittle while. How electronicly controled are our carbs in 85?

It will miss through the entire RPM range and smoke black... then after awhile and a few fowl words... it has a mood swing and idles perfectly and doesnt miss(much) but going down the road i punch the gas and i can see alittle black smoke from the back... The Plugs and Ect were replaced by the prev. owner. my guess is that it for some reason it is just pouring too much fuel or restricting too much air and runs like crap... any ideas? Also keep in mind that im a carb idiot...
Old 03-29-2006, 08:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
all 22R carbs had an electric choke. they aren't really "electronically controlled" like some other carbs from the '80s were. most had 3 electric components -- an electric choke, an idle cutoff solenoid(prevents dieseling) and i think a mixture solenoid for emissions reasons(at least i think that's what it is).

they are supposed to run rich during initial warmup -- EVERY vehicle does this. that is the function of a choke(or cold start injector on EFI). if you're getting a bunch of black smoke and overly rich mixture, i'd think the problem is the AAP, or auxilary accelerator pump. it's a diaphragm on the driver's side front of the carb, and it gives an additional dose of fuel to the engine when it's cold and you hit the gas. when it blows out, it leaks raw fuel into the engine and fouls plugs and smokes. they are easy to replace and only a couple bucks at the dealer.

to figure it out, find the AAP and pull the hose off. if it's full of fuel, it's blown.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:44 PM

well, this is after it was run for about 15-20 min, and sat for 5 min, but i checked it, it had a little fuel in it when i pulled it off and the bent it downwards, but only a driplet... enough to get the tip of the hose wet... is that enough to call it?

Last edited by MrFC3S; 03-29-2006 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:24 PM

well i know mine runs really rich but i blame this on the fact that the PO said the carb was new so it probably isn't tuned at all.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:30 AM

well, if its somthing thats doomed to go, i might aswell go ahead and replace it to atleast rule it out... update on that... found one at Leith Toyota for $53. God I hate Stealerships... btw, i opened it up this morning and on the carb side of the AAP which i left the hose off overnight... it was still leaking fuel... had a diplett on it and was wet...
I think I found the culprit(i hope cause im poor)
Old 03-30-2006, 10:56 AM

shouldn't be ANY fuel in that thing. replace it.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:26 PM

Ok, doing it tomarrow... btw, What is that rather large hose that goes from the Passenger side of the carb to the Breather cover on the opposite side?
Old 03-30-2006, 08:16 PM

that's the PCV hose. under low vacuum conditions(heavy acceleration etc) it lets the crankcase burp out any fumes that accumulate in it and burns them off. the port on the carburetor is just a hole that goes through the throttle plate and directly into the intake manifold, it doesn't affect the carb functioning at all.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:14 PM

Hey, How did you get the screws off the thing without removing the carby? screwdrivers are too long and cant get a Screwdriver bit or anything... any ideas?