84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

85 22re starter does not turn sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 03:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
85 22re starter does not turn sometimes

Had this problem for the 16 years I have owned it. If I haven't started in a week or so I turn the key and hear COR click and maybe another relay clicking but solenoid doesn't click. I have run a jumper wire from the solenoid wire to touch to the battery to start, it starts everytime. New battery cables. No fender start relay. Sometimes when I hold the key down I heard a faint squeal that sounds like a coil in a relay that is shorting out or something. I was thinking of putting a load on the jumper wire like a headlight and seeing if that causes more juice to run through the wire and move the solenoid. I replaced one of the relays from bone yard I think was the COR. I am going to have to dig under the pass kick panel some more to see what other relay is under there. The squeal seems to come from there. My question: has anyone had these symptoms and does anyone know what relays are under there? Thanks, Pete
Old 12-03-2015, 02:36 AM

Received 664 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by pcmentor
...I turn the key and hear COR click and maybe another relay clicking but solenoid doesn't click. I have run a jumper wire from the solenoid wire to touch to the battery to start, it starts everytime.... I replaced one of the relays from bone yard I think was the COR. I am going to have to dig under the pass kick panel some more to see what other relay is under there.
Hi Pete,
It's a common problem. 16 YEARS! You're been putting up with a problem too long. The fix will only take you 16 minutes once you have the parts ready

Do not mess with the COR, it is working and has nothing to do with cranking.

Your 1985 does not have a starter relay (located here).
Without a starter relay, the power to energize the starter solenoid has to travel over a long path (probably about 15 feet) from battery, to cabin, to ignition switch, back to engine compartment, and eventually to the starter solenoid. Wire resistance and that of ignition switch cause lots of power loss, so power is not enough to actuate the starter solenoid plunger completely. It also subjects ignition switch contacts to high current (approx. 12 Amps) that could shorten its life.

When you jump starter solenoid coil to battery, you are in effect shortening that path, eliminating excessive power loss; That's why it always works. Adding a starter relay will do the "jumping" for you.

It is easy to add a starter relayThis way.

Cheers

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 12-03-2015 at 11:52 AM.