84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

85 22re pickup disappearing coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 02:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
85 22re pickup disappearing coolant?

So I am stumped on this one now. Every once in a while when i start my truck it seems like its running rough but after a second it goes away and idles fine seems to only do it when cold. But for those few seconds its pretty sputtery.

Now on to the next thing, one day i was driving down the road and i noticed my oil was running 5 degrees Centigrade hotter than usual. So i checked the coolant and it was just over a liter low. I filled it back up and about a week or so later its gone again the same amount.

I checked the spark plugs and they are all good I don't seem to be burning coolant in any way. No abnormal smoke other then the usual cold weather steam. There isn't any coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant. There aren't any leaks in the system, good cap, good dual stage t-stat, and good normal running temps. aside from when it gets low.

What could be going on? is it somehow burning a little bit while driving? or is it slowly leaking into the cylinders when parked and burning it off quickly? the exhaust looks and smells normal for winter.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:15 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I noticed about 30k miles ago that my head gasket was starting to leak coolant down the side of the block. I never fixed it and lately my truck has started doing exactly what you are describing. Sometimes when I start it, usually when cold but not always, it will run rough. It sounds like it is running on 3 cylinders for a minute or so and has a noticable miss when revving the engine. I never see any smoke or coolant in the oil, but it does use coolant.

Small head gasket leaks can be difficult to detect sometimes. You can also try opening your radiator cap, starting your truck and see if little bubbles slowly come out. If you have access to a an exhaust sniffer, see if it detects and hydrocarbons near your open radiator cap. I have seen a few 22Rs (including my own) start leaking from the headgasket on the outside of the block on the exhaust side of the #1 cylinder, so that is a good place to check if you suspect a head gasket.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine did that just before the #4 rod split. You probably have a tiny head gasket leak into a clyinder.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do a simple coolant pressure test and leave it pressurised for a good while at around 15 psi.if you then start it up and it stumbles even the slightest bit,you have a head gasket/surface problem.this stumble is caused by a small bit of coolant in the combustion chamber.i learned this the hard way when i was younger,replacing the head and head gasket only to find out i had a block that wasnt flat!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by kalispell365
do a simple coolant pressure test and leave it pressurised for a good while at around 15 psi.if you then start it up and it stumbles even the slightest bit,you have a head gasket/surface problem.this stumble is caused by a small bit of coolant in the combustion chamber.i learned this the hard way when i was younger,replacing the head and head gasket only to find out i had a block that wasnt flat!
^^^ this ^^^^
Old 03-19-2012, 11:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ever figure anything out on this?
Old 03-19-2012, 12:19 PM

Gonna do a pressure and compression test this weekend when I have time I've just been real busy and driving the runner instead
Old 03-19-2012, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my 4runner did this a couple months ago and it ended up being a split in the head gasket and water would seek into the cylinder due to it being under pressure, my rig would sputter and want to die for about 4 sec. then warm up the rest fine,
Old 07-31-2014, 12:55 PM

Glad I found this!!! This is exactly what my '86 is doing!!!!

Black_1985_SR5 please tell us how you fixed the problem.

Thanks!!
Old 07-31-2014, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by FRANCOARMANI
Glad I found this!!! This is exactly what my '86 is doing!!!!

Black_1985_SR5 please tell us how you fixed the problem.

Thanks!!
unfortunately it was a small headgasket leak but i did replace it before it did any damage just for good measure i used arp headbolts this time around and she has been running great for 20k although its in the shop now getting a new rear axle housing. i hope your luck is better than mine just make sure you monitor your oil if you continue to drive it
Old 07-31-2014, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Black_1985_SR5
unfortunately it was a small headgasket leak but i did replace it before it did any damage just for good measure i used arp headbolts this time around and she has been running great for 20k although its in the shop now getting a new rear axle housing. i hope your luck is better than mine just make sure you monitor your oil if you continue to drive it
Thanks for the quick response Brotha!!!!! I've been wrecking my brain on this one and you've helped me solve it! I was hoping it wasn't going to be the HG but with 298K on her it was bound to happen. Just found this leak on the engine block side, Cylinder #2. Looks like coolant to me. Damn!

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated

Name:  HG_zps238e725f.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  121.6 KB
Old 07-31-2014, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by FRANCOARMANI
Thanks for the quick response Brotha!!!!! I've been wrecking my brain on this one and you've helped me solve it! I was hoping it wasn't going to be the HG but with 298K on her it was bound to happen. Just found this leak on the engine block side, Cylinder #2. Looks like coolant to me. Damn!

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated

No problem man thats what we are here for sorry about the HG just dont give up on her and dont cut corners there is great info on here about what parts to use i would suggest checking out http://www.engnbldr.com/ you wont be dissapointed