84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

22RE Turbo - Off-road Behaviors.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE Turbo - Off-road Behaviors.....

I am going to be building a new engine for my Runner. I have seen a aftermarket Turbo kit for about $600 which can be added to a 22RE. It uses a Garrett .60/.48 A/R T3 Turbo. The turbo has an internal wastegate set up.

I know the turbo would be sweet as hell on the street, however, will they do ok off-roading? Would having one hurt low end power or make slow crawling tough to manage with the boost?

This is not a Factory set up, this is a aftermarket kit.

Thanks for your thoughts!

John
Old 06-14-2007, 05:24 PM

shouldn't hurt anything on the trail. Low end should be exactly the same with or without turbo (until you build boost the engine is basically NA). I say go for it and let me know how it works out for you!
Old 06-14-2007, 05:45 PM

Like the last guy said. It won't actually hurt anything because till you build up boost to actually make more horsepower.

Of course the more complicated you make it the more likely it will break. If you dive into cold water with some hot turbo headers... you can kiss those goodbye.

You might wana check out a Garret turbo called a disco potato. They spool up really fast. Plus push a decent amount of pressure.

If your gonna run a turbo, get yourself a really good flowing head, hotter spark plugs, and a ignition booster. No point in trying to cram more air unless it can flow it and burn it .
Old 06-14-2007, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by EvaMonky
Like the last guy said. It won't actually hurt anything because till you build up boost to actually make more horsepower.

Of course the more complicated you make it the more likely it will break. If you dive into cold water with some hot turbo headers... you can kiss those goodbye.

You might wana check out a Garret turbo called a disco potato. They spool up really fast. Plus push a decent amount of pressure.

If your gonna run a turbo, get yourself a really good flowing head, hotter spark plugs, and a ignition booster. No point in trying to cram more air unless it can flow it and burn it .
Well, I like the idea of a turbo. There is just something about a whistler spooling up on a M35A2 that melts me!

The water thing is a consideration as I do like to play in the water. I would have to probably shield from splash up. I know EGT's could be a killer, however just looking at 6-10 PSI may be in my ballpark!! WOOT WOOT!!!

I would consider it as I am now, just trying to mentally piece together the engine. The plan needs to be thought out due to running different pistons, crank etc.

I was concerned about low end due to having the lower compression - but if it wouldn't be much I may do it. That or just go 220HP on NA.

John
Old 06-14-2007, 09:07 PM

John,

Go NA. You don't need more than a 150 hp, so anything over that is just icing on the cake.

I have a turbo car, and the turbo causes a lot of problems (and it's factory - it's also Swedish ).

Make your power NA and you will be happier, IMHO.

As stated before, you will have problems with cooling and water.

Brandon
Old 06-15-2007, 05:32 AM

agreed... and with you being in az, those hot summer days can get pretty hot. those turbos are not so efficent when they are boiling hot in that hot engine bay, trying to cram hot air down the engine's throat. just go na and you'll know you are pushing a set hp regardless of your envrioment. hp from turbos flucunate, and its just another thing to break on the trail.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Hayes
John,

I have a turbo car, and the turbo causes a lot of problems (and it's factory - it's also Swedish ).

Brandon
A Saab or Volvo? Saab's are natorious for problems when they get over 100k miles, if it hasn't yet hit 100k, sell it soon! If it has over 100k miles, sell it sooner!

Just my opinion on Saabs, don't listen to me!
Old 06-15-2007, 09:13 AM

My neighbor has experience building 22R's for Celica's and says that it's nothing to get 175-200HP out of one. I was considering the Turbo for a bit of fun and extra umph, however I feel that I can do it either way. I priced out building one for that HP range and it was about $1300 in parts and machining. I wanted to be able to justify the additional $500 for the turbo. I can't after reading your thoughts.

Yeah, AZ sucks for heat. There is no way to get cool air into the engine when it's the middle of July. Batteries only last like 1-2 years (non-Optima style.) I will get things going and make sure to post up an engine build thread!

John
Old 06-15-2007, 09:42 AM

Well... with the turbo you're going to need fuel and spark modifications, at the very least. Lower compression pistons are a must for anything over 4psi of boost... I've converted my 22re to accept a turbo and it was a PITA and somewhat expensive... Check this link out for some info on what and what not to do adding a turbo to your 22re.

http://toyotaperformance.com/turboguide.htm

Best of luck. Send me a message if you have any questions about adding the turbo to your setup!

Last edited by TC22RE; 06-15-2007 at 09:50 AM.