84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

22re Bottom End Knock.. help

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re Bottom End Knock.. help

i hate an 85 22re with a nice knock. its not deadly yet, but its there.

my question is this, can i pull the pan off, and replace the conecting rod bearings, without pulling the engine and doing a whole engine build, i just need a cheap fix, i can do all the work myself, im just curious if i can get away with doing this.
im pretty certen its the connecting rod bearings because as soon as i started noticing the knock, i also noticed a large drop in oil pressure.

any info on past experiences will help too
Old 12-07-2008, 12:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
fix the oil pressure issue its whats causing your knock. depending on the condition of the bearings you may need to have the crank turned. see if they have any copper visible. you could try the new bearings but you likely wont fix your problem without turning your crank.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
/me lols @ algranger.... it's entirely possible the rod bearings are causing the oil pressure issue. ... but there must be a reason the rod bearings are worn...
It's possible that some other issue is causing the oil pressure loss and resulting in the knock. Using oil that is either too thin or thick can do this. A broken timing chain guide that has shattered and managed to block the pickup screen or pieces of which have managed to get into the oil pump and block an oil passage can as well. Heck, if it's too cold outside it can cause a knock (related to the oil weight issue).

But, yes you can replace the rod bearings without pulling the engine. You just have to get the oil pan off. If the rod bearings are worn, it's also likely that the crankshaft bearings are worn as well, so keep that in mind.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
/me lols @ algranger.... it's entirely possible the rod bearings are causing the oil pressure issue. ... but there must be a reason the rod bearings are worn...
It's possible that some other issue is causing the oil pressure loss and resulting in the knock. Using oil that is either too thin or thick can do this. A broken timing chain guide that has shattered and managed to block the pickup screen or pieces of which have managed to get into the oil pump and block an oil passage can as well. Heck, if it's too cold outside it can cause a knock (related to the oil weight issue).

But, yes you can replace the rod bearings without pulling the engine. You just have to get the oil pan off. If the rod bearings are worn, it's also likely that the crankshaft bearings are worn as well, so keep that in mind.

thankyou very much.. thats exactly what i was looking for haha
as for "algranger" im not flaming you or anything but for future reference oil pressure is biuld by the conecting rod bearings

thanks for all the help