84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

22R help clanging investigation

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 22R help clanging investigation

Hello All,
In a new member and proud owner of 1984 toyota Pickup with a 22R it is used with 184,000 miles on it. I just bought it and went to start it and it fired off ran rough and spattered rough idle for a couple seconds. Then it clanked so I turned it off and came to your forums. I have read allot about Timing Chain issues etc so I thought I would investigate it. I have pulled all the stuff off the front of the engine pulleys, and valve cover and it revealed a MILKY Brownish fluid on it. Is this oil mixed with Coolant? Or is it water? Probably both obvoiusly.

I pulled the sparkplugs and found 3 of 4 of them were relatively new looking NGK plugs with oily substance on them wetish with a little green watery stuff on them. I pulled the #3 plug and found the electrode had be contacted by something? Do you think that was the noise i heard "clanging" when i started it up.

What do you all think I have on my hands here, I figured New head gasket, new timing chain with metal guides and tensioner and a possible water pump and thermostat while I have it apart.

Tell me what you all think any hep on this would be greatly appreciated very much.
Tom
Old 01-02-2009, 07:49 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
If the oil is brownish chocolate milk colored then it is water (same as coolant) mixed with your oil which means most likely a blown head gasket. The spark plug looks like something hit it? Maybe that happened when they installed it...

If you have a blown headgasket you're going to want to do the head gasket, timing chain, oil pump, water pump, plus take the head to a machine shop to be flattened out since it's likely a bit warped from overheating. Be ready for the fact that the block may need it, too, and if the engine has been abused...you can't rule out that it may be time for a complete rebuild. That's worse case scenario, but, you don't want to do a few things, put it all back together, then realize it needed a lot more work. Take off the oil pan & make sure the rods are tight, no movement. If you're doing a head gasket & timing chain your more than half way to a complete engine rebuild, so...if it needs it, do it all now. If the bottom end is tight, then just do the chain & head gasket. If you've been leaking coolant into the oil for a while, though, it will hurt the bearings, since coolant is NOT a good lubricant. Anyways, check it all out...