84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

The $120.00 home exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The $120.00 home exhaust

My 85 runner was running on the origional factory exhaust. So last week I went and picked up a high flow muffler, 7' of 2.25" exhaust tubing, and waited until today to put it on. Dont laugh to hard at the bends. We did the best we could with the tubing bender we had. I think it looks really good, and it sure has helped the old 4runner get down the road with new life. Cat was pretty clogged up. So we took care of that while we were in there.

It sounds great, throaty at idle, throaty when you get on it at take off, and mellows out when you level off the throttle. No loud and crazy exhaust noise to listen to while you are cruising down the road. It does not sound like a tunner either.

I was supprised to notice that I can now excellerate in 5th gear. And freeing up the exhaust flow took out just about all the knocking that I was hearing. I will know for sure in the a.m., that is when it used to knock the most. The rest sounds like valves could to be adjusted. And most of the idle issues I had pinned on the TPS are better, not gone, but better.

Now I know that it is running a little rich. I dont know if someone has been in the AFM or not. I will check that soon. Any suggestions on how to lean it down a little. I have read about how to adjust the AFM, but I am putting that off, because I know the TPS needs to be replaced.

When I started it up, the dude helping said "man that sounds good, is this the v-6", I said nope, 22re.

Another wrench that came over to listen to the start up said sure does smoke a lot. I said 1.5 quarts a week. He noted that it runs really good to be smoking that much. I told him that the wet/dry compression test was within specs, and the leak down test was 8%, 8%, 12%, 8%, and that I had put a video probe in each cylinder and you can watch the oil running down the walls after each revolution of the piston. And that the cylinder walls, vavles and bottom side of the head looked as though someone had recently did a rebuild, and I thought they must not have done it right. He asked if the plugs were fouling. I said not yet, I put new plugs in two months ago when I bought it, and they look good and run good. I mentioned that I was going to start the rebuild on a 22r I had just pulled and was going to put that down in it. He said not to jump the gun with rebuilding an engine that still has life left in it. And said I sould bring it back next week and we would put new valve seals in it. And then if that does not cure the oil consumption I would at least have ruled out all the simpler stuff. He also said that we would know as soon as we got the first valve seals out if that was the problem or not. So I have my fingers crossed that new valve seals will cure it. I hate to have to rebuild it. It just runs so well.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Can you be more specific with the type of pipe/tubing you used for the exhaust? I want to go down and pick some up this weekend to do the same thing you just did.

BTW - Great job on the new exhaust.

Last edited by live4soccer7; 08-17-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:32 PM

Sorry I dont know a lot about exhaust tubing.

I just went to a local exhaust shop that I know sells exhaust tubing and asked for 8 feet of 2 1/4 exhaust tubing, they only sold it in 7' sticks, so I picked up one stick. It was 2 1/4" outside dia. At the end of the job there was about 8" left. The tubing was pretty heavy wall though. I was surprised at how much heavier it was than the little pieces you can get at auto zone.

The muffler is by renagade(Chinese). I could not find anything on them on the internet.

But like I said the 7' stick of 2 1/4 tube, and muffler was $69.00.

I picked up an inlet and outlet cat gasket at autozone, $11.99 for the inlet, and $2.99 for the outlet. The cat was pretty clogged, and I broke the back two bolts getting it out.

The tubing bender was a hydraulic bender. It did have several different dies, but very hard to get dynamic bends. You will find that you need to go down pretty much straight off the cat, and then right back up. then straight to the muffler. from the muffler you will have to go up and around the rear axle, on the way down you have to go around the spare tire, then level off, then a hard bend to get out the side of the truck.

Neither one of us was very experienced on the bender. Having done it once now, I am sure that the next one would look a lot better, but it works great, sounds great, and the power difference is more than I thought it would be.

So far I have gotten 20 mpg since the new muffler instal. I am hoping that will go up again after I get a new TPS for it. It is running really rich.

Good luck.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:35 PM

Thanks for the info. I will have to locate a muffler shop. I was just going to go a place that deals with steal tubing/piping and see what they had to say. I think it would be a lot cheaper that way, but I'm not sure. I'll make some calls and see.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts
Looks great man!!
Old 08-17-2009, 05:47 PM

Also a quick search around yotatech, and a look through the FSM, and I realized real quick that the smoke is most likely coming from the Valve seals. But our thoughts of filling the cylinder with air to change them is not going to work on the 22re. I am just not going to risk it. So now there is another prject to add to the repair list. I think when I do it I am going to pull the head, order the OS valves, guides, seals, springs, caps, retainers, Street RV "C" cam, and head gasket from engbldr. There is a really good machine shop that will do the work for me pretty cheap. As long as my head is still good, that will save about $250.00 over buying the street RV head and cam.

So now the plan is TPS next payday, steering knuckle rebuild the next, then a clutch kit from marlin crawler. The clutch may drive me to do is sooner. It is not slipping but it is getting very hard to press. I think the pressure plate fingers are getting weak. Had a 4.3 s10 that did the same thing, and one day I pressed it in at a stop light, and bang that was the last of it. When the clutch is out, hopefully I will be able to afford a rebuild kit for the transfer case.

later
Old 08-18-2009, 01:19 PM

Did you do your exhaust from the downpipe back (keep the original downpipe)? I'm going to pick up my pipe/tube today
Old 08-18-2009, 05:37 PM

I did from the cat back.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:28 PM

I did not put a pipe into the cat when we punched it out, at first it sounded really good. Now after a week or two of driving, it is starting to get kind of weird higher pitch reverbing sound. Almost like the heat shield is loose. You can actually kind of hear the exhaust circulating around in it, instead of going straight out. The heat shield is not dented or loose.

On the way home from work today, the exhaust was making some really bad leaking noises, and a really bad rattle. Got the inspection mirror out and found the down pipe at the manifold had been bolted up at an angle and the back corner closest to the block had about an 1/8" gap. I unbolted it and tightened the three bolts down evenly. I think that was some of the knock that was going on. I guess it just decided today was the day that it needed to be fixed.

Then on some more looking I saw that the bolts holding the heat shield onto the manifold were backed out about half way. When I tried to tighten them, they would not go in, and I was afraid of breaking one. So I took them all out, made sure they were metric bolts, then the mirror again, noticed the holes had pretty much filled with rust. Had go slow and run a tap through them. The heat sheild is now on good and tight, and that also quieted things down.

The Cat is still making the noises though, maybe this weekend I'll drop it and weld a pipe in it.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:33 PM

looks like you did a pretty good job yourself
is it loud?
Old 08-20-2009, 07:06 PM

No it is not loud. nice little rumble. but no tuner sound.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:08 PM

ohhh did it improve speed with the high flow?
Old 08-20-2009, 07:16 PM

I got 2.255" and a pro flow muffler. Should be able to start makin it this weeked.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:30 PM

Before the high flow muffler and cat punch out. I could not do a rolling stop, and pull away in 2nd gear, I had to be in first. If I was in 5th gear running about 55mph and wanted to pass a car, I had to drop down to 4th.

Now with a better flowing exhaust, 2nd gear from a dead stop is not a problem. I can axcelerate in 5th without a problem. I have not timed the zero to 60, but I know it is a whole lot faster than before.

I am also getting about 25mpg around town.

Sad thing about more power is that you get used to it to quick, and find that you want more and more.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:36 PM

yeah that is true
Old 08-21-2009, 08:38 PM

V6854runner, can you post pictures of your interior and other angles of the bumper. I have an 87 pu that we are working on for my son and bumpers are on the list. Your rig looks great.

Thanks
Old 08-24-2009, 05:43 PM

live4soccer7, how ya coming on the exhaust? any pictures?
Old 08-24-2009, 06:10 PM

i did basically the same thing except after the muffler i welded a bend on and had it blow on the ground. so i have a short exhaust its not too loud and my 21/2"x16gauge tubing worked great. and having no cat gave me lots of power. now i can hold 80 up almost any hill with 31s. sounds good too.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hahah i used old tubing and made my own muffler from sheetmetal

Cost- $0

Yours looks good though.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:15 AM

I think my cat is pretty clogged up too causing acceleration issues. What did you use to gut it?

Quick Reply: The $120.00 home exhaust