Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

pre 83 efi swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pre 83 efi swap

The abilities of my truck became more than my Carb setup could take. So a decision was made to swap out to a fuel injected setup. My truck is an 81 that was running a 22r with a dual port offenhouser intake with a holly450 with a high rise. The motor was rebuilt less then two years ago. It has been bored .30 over and a bigger cam was put in.

Issue with swapping a pre- 83

The pre 83 cylinder heads do not have the proper holes for the lower intake to bolt up to.

You have a couple options -
Weld material onto the head, shave it and tap it.
Replace the Head with a head that has the holes, but not a head that was made just for efi think 86 and on.
There was talk about using a lower intake off an early celica and bolting that up to the upper plenum
I got a head from an 84.(pictures later on in the assembly part)

Dissasembly - Take the head off. Remove entire wiring harness and accessories.

1 1/2 - 2 hours of work - removed parts

I will never put bars leak in my truck again

Notice all the brown buildup. It took me forever to clean out my system

Preparing the swap

I layed out the entire harness and intake from the 87 4 runner. ( Thank you Jay for the setup)

I marked which connectors I new that were correct. Blue zip ties were for the unknowns

I took the intake apart to replace ALL the injector o-rings and grommets. The easiest place to get the grommets that go on the bottom of the injectors is to go to the dealer, if you dont then you will be pulling your hair out trying to find them.

Taking the used head apart to clean and get it ready

After washing and scrubbing the head I put my cam in

Remember to lube

Assembly
Set the head on

Start running the wires

I eliminated all the egr stuff

Computer went inside an ammo box for protection. Wasnt pictured here but i stuffed it with newspaper and anti moisture tablets. Sealed around the wires with a buttload of silicone

I went with a ford inline pump for the fact i can pick one up at any store no matter where i am at. I wired in a bosch relay from the acc off the ignition switch. Put a toggle switch in series so i can turn off the pump at any time.

I moved the air flow meter to the passenger side using this link. I got the molex connectors from radio shack. They work pretty freaking good as long as you take your time.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Snorkel.shtml

My headlights are on a toggle switch through another relay

I run my battery in the cab, so my main power wire comes into this block. Made it pretty easy to run any 12 volt power in the hood.

Will not run correctly without the EFI cupholder from walmart with the 12volt accessory outlet. :dance:

Next time I would change the steering column to get the correct ignition switch because there are 5 wires from mine, and 6 from the new harness. Took a little figuring out, but it made it so i can can bypass all the neutral safety stuff and run a wire directly from the switch to starter. The lights also would work from the correct factory switches. It was easier to toggle switch them than to splice them into the harness. I ran my brake light switch directly to the wires in the back of the cab.

When i first got it running I had NO power. It was lean popping bad. I ran it on a motorvac fuel injection machine. Cleans the injectors the only way it should be done. All that crap they run through the vacum lines into the manifold just doesnt to anything. After that I adjusted the air flow meter and it runs like a champ now.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
very good write up. book marked it for future use...
Old 11-10-2008, 04:43 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
yes .. nice work !
Old 11-12-2008, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much, It really wouldnt have been that bad if I could have worked on it more, it took me about a month to do just working on it a little at a time. If there are any questions just ask, i have more photos and know how to make it easier on some parts now that ive done it.