Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Newb and new parts questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newb and new parts questions

Howdy, just picked up my first Toyota pickup. She's a 79' and reads 193,xxx.

So I went and picked some parts up and had a few questions on them, I hope some one can help me, Please.

Newb and new parts questions-phto0034.jpg

Newb and new parts questions-phto0035.jpg
Has any one ever swaped these clusters? Do any plugs match? I know I'm going to probably have to find the plug and wires for the tach any ideas. Is this worth my time to try? It would be nice to have tach and trip meter. Any help hear would be greatly appreciated.

Newb and new parts questions-phto0036.jpg
The 4 speed is great, because it works... But I got this 5 speed out of an 82.
What is that hole for? I did I search and found a guy who had swaped the l52 into his 79' mating it to his 20r, but he said he had to source longer bolts for mounting it to the bell housing of the 20r, any truth behind that I cant seem to find his thread that he did and his write up. I got the transfer case with the deal so I think I am going to just use it so I don't have to grind the groves out.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by citizen_of_the_world; 02-16-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
The hole? You mean where the clutch fork passes through?
Old 02-16-2010, 03:37 PM

Can I use the clutch fork off the L45 on the L52?
Old 02-16-2010, 03:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow thats a clean 79!
Old 02-16-2010, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gauge

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114...e-swap-164182/

Here's the thread for the gauge swap..Your swapping a '79 DLX cluster, for a '82/'83 SR5 cluster...I believe the wiring harnesses are different but I'm not sure..I did the swap but it was for gauges from the same year...If the three harnesses are the same so should be the corresponding wire colors..good luck
Old 02-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like to see the older pickups. You've got a clean truck. Welcome to YT.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:08 AM

Thanks for the link shlobeck.

She's spent her whole life I believe in Colorado. I bought it off a guy in Aztec, NM and he still had the title from Colorado for it. From reading the records in the glove box it was originally purchased in Delta, CO and I think it spent most of its life up there.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look at the back of the gauges.. if there square then they probly wont work gotta find the round ones.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:17 PM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Yeah, you'll have your work cut out for you if you want to switch those gauges. Everything changed. You can splice all the wires from the round-style plugs in your truck over to the square-style in that newer cluster, but you'll probably need the wiring schematic for both your truck, and the year truck the cluster came out of (82 or 83) and figure out what wires go where. Not an impossible job but probably not worth it...the older style gauges with the tach look a lot cooler anyway, in my opinion. You're better off just trying to find one of these:

And...uh..yeah...that hole is where the clutch fork comes out...
Old 02-17-2010, 01:20 PM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Oh yeah, welcome to Yotatech! Nice truck.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:12 PM

If you have questions or need help I'm in Durango. I have an '83 and if you decide to do any build ups let me know.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by fyreandwater
If you have questions or need help I'm in Durango. I have an '83 and if you decide to do any build ups let me know.
Might take you up on that.

I got my Haynes manual and started looking through it. Yeah it is the clutch fork. This is going to be my first tranny swap, its going to get interesting. Any one know if the clutch for is interchangeable? I've got hope it is. I ordered a new clutch, pilot bearing, and clutch aliment tool and started to tarp my car port off (damn snow). I don't know what this el nino year is going to do. I hear snow for the south west I hope not.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/faq/parts/
According to this link I have purchased an L50 Tranny. In my haynes manual I goes from L43 to 52 No L50 is in the book. I got the 5 speed out of an 82, or so the guy claimed. Where if any, are the model codes on the tranny? Thanks for your help people. I will try to document as much as I can and post it up for future reference for others. Again Thank you

-CITIZEN
Old 02-19-2010, 12:43 PM

Sorry another question. A guy is trying to sell me Power steering gearbox, power steering pump with bracket and tensioner pulley, reservoir, hoses and cooling line. Off an 82 Is there anything else I would need to do the Power steering conversion. He trying to get $350 for it. Is that about the going rate? Any one got a link to a conversion I thought I saw one when I was going through the ocdropzone note book but maybe not?
Old 02-19-2010, 12:53 PM

I think I am going to wait the cluster out and find the easier one. After all I'm just after the tach and trip functions. Anyone want to trade for this snazzy one?
Old 02-20-2010, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by citizen_of_the_world
Might take you up on that.

I got my Haynes manual and started looking through it. Yeah it is the clutch fork. This is going to be my first tranny swap, its going to get interesting. Any one know if the clutch for is interchangeable? I've got hope it is. I ordered a new clutch, pilot bearing, and clutch aliment tool and started to tarp my car port off (damn snow). I don't know what this el nino year is going to do. I hear snow for the south west I hope not.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/faq/parts/
According to this link I have purchased an L50 Tranny. In my haynes manual I goes from L43 to 52 No L50 is in the book. I got the 5 speed out of an 82, or so the guy claimed. Where if any, are the model codes on the tranny? Thanks for your help people. I will try to document as much as I can and post it up for future reference for others. Again Thank you

-CITIZEN
good luck on your project. looks like it's going to snow through the middle of next week.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Transmission ID-to me it is hard to tell L45-50-52 series transmissions apart but this link from marlin might help:
http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmi...built-complete

Transmission bolts: you will need longer bolts for the L50-I just did the reverse conversion -put an L43 in my '81 due to availability-I had to use 2-3 washers on the two lower bolts to take up space. The upper two bolts were not an issues

Sorry another question. A guy is trying to sell me Power steering gearbox, power steering pump with bracket and tensioner pulley, reservoir, hoses and cooling line. Off an 82 Is there anything else I would need to do the Power steering conversion. He trying to get $350 for it. Is that about the going rate? Any one got a link to a conversion I thought I saw one when I was going through the ocdropzone note book but maybe not?
Sorry-haven't found a good write up on the conversion, you might check the downloadable fsm in my sig.
-the price seems a little high to me, but if you haven't found another it might be worth it.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:19 PM

ocdropzone Thanks for the info. Did you use your same clutch fork in your swap?
Old 02-21-2010, 05:13 AM

I have a steering box off my '83 I'd sell you for $40. I just installed high steer so I don't need it any more. PM me if your interested.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:36 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
ocdropzone Thanks for the info. Did you use your same clutch fork in your swap?
both my tranmissions both had the clutch fork...did not even bother to check to see if they were the same...
Old 03-08-2010, 01:48 PM

Ok folks need some help now. The clutch fork from the L43 does not work in the L50. The pivot that the fork sit on are different sizes. The L43 clutch fork hole is smaller and placed farther back. I tired to use the L43 on the L50 and the throw out bearing wouldn't sit far enough back and would push itself off on the the input shaft. DAMN. Can some one point me in the direction of a fork and dust boot? I've tried to do the "GOOGLE" search and came up with nothing. Please help! I was so close to having it to gather but she wouldn't go. After inspection I can only say that it is the fork. Thanks for any help.
The last picture is how I took some seal and made the dust boot from the L43 fit the L50. Again thanks. And if you want to sell me one feel free to email me at ryan_stimac@hotmail.com or PM me.

CITIZEN
Attached Thumbnails Newb and new parts questions-phto0077.jpg   Newb and new parts questions-phto0076.jpg   Newb and new parts questions-phto0069.jpg  

Last edited by citizen_of_the_world; 03-08-2010 at 02:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Newb and new parts questions