Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

New guy with a 78 pickup I have several ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy with a 78 pickup I have several ?'s

Brand new to the site. I just picked up a 78 pickup. Its a 20r with a 5 speed. The truck is a little rusty in spots but for my purpose it will do just fine. My current daily driver is over 220,000 miles and I want to keep it around for as long as possible. I plan on moving back in the sticks so to speak in the next few years. So I need to keep a good 4x4 around and my daily is a very good truck and 4x4. So this yota will take over my daily driver duties.

Anyhoo, I have several questions. While underneath the truck replacing the original clutch, I noticed a tube broken off on the backside of the engine. I realized it was smog related and later from searching on the net figured out it was suposed to go around the side of the head and up to the top of the exhaust manifold. However there is a complete absence of any tube going to the manifold. Here is the kicker, the previous owner said the head gasket had blown and the head had been damaged. So he had got another head and had it compeletly reworked. (I have receipts for all the head work) Well from looking at a picture on here, there is a suposed to be a frame that goes around my exhaust manifold. I do not have one, also I dont think there is a spot there to mount the air injection tube on the manifold. Also, there is no spot on the manifold for the tube that goes between it and the air filter snorkel.

So what is going on? Did the previous owner swap the exhaust manifold to a newer version? It doesnt really matter, The main thing I need to know what to do with the tube hanging open on the back of the motor. I do not want to go through the de-smog process, I would prefer to put it back to what its suposed to be. The truck purs like a kitten as is but I am concerned this will cause probelms down the road.

pictures of my situation....
Old 09-02-2010, 07:42 PM

Here is the frame I am missing from around the exhaust manifold (taken from another thread)

Here is my exhaust manifold

Old 09-02-2010, 07:49 PM

and the truck itself as I bought it and on the day it came home

It has gotten a face lift since these pictures. I will post up an updated picture soon. It has a new clutch, new slave and new clutch master cylinder, new inner and outer tie rod ends and I have a new pitman arm waiting to go on. The steering was SCARY sloppy. So other than getting an alignment after the pitman arm gets put in, this injection tube is my only issue keeping me from daily driving.

Also, the exhaust from the manifold back looks to be the original stuff, and in the original mounts so I am confused. It really does look like an all together different manifold. I really dont want to have to track down the right manifold and frame and injection tube but if thats what has to be done so be it. What do you guys reccommend?
Old 09-03-2010, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its a heat shield.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:01 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I say cap the tube off and not worry about it..
My 81' 22r doesn't have that.
I think it's just part of a sensor anyways.