Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

help diagnose noise please, tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help diagnose noise please, tranny?

so today I started to hear a faint almost jingle type sound, a mettalic light jingle or something? it does not happen with clutch down or in neutral, and cant hear it cruisin down the freeway either, but around side streets and in 1-4 you hear it, its not really loud but almost sounds like a little tiny bell on a braclet, sounds like its coming from under the stick shift, so tranny? any ideas? thanks
Old 05-14-2010, 05:13 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Really hard to say. Sometimes you just have to wait until it gets worse. I had a noise (still do) that was sort of like what you're describing, with some loud popping sometimes when I'd shift. I replaced: u-joints, rear differential, checked for anything loose. I'm in the process of tearing down my t-case right now. Tranny is brand new.

Making sure that the pinion nuts on the t-case and rear diff are tight also helps.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:00 AM

more info on the noise! today on a quiet road (smooth lol) I was going about 30mph put it in neutral and no noise. butttt if I give the gas a little rev I get the noise everytime! and it seems to change pitch with the rev? so, coasting down a hill in neutral no noise, give a few random revs and you get a slight metallic noise sounds like under the shifter/hump area?
Old 05-14-2010, 07:05 AM

Sounds like a bearing...

So, reving with the clutch in will give you the noise or no? Do you have to be moving, clutch out etc. Seems like if it makes the noise when you rev with the clutch in, then we're talking engine. Otherwise, could be tranny or t-case. Did you check the fluid levels? I would still check the pinion bearings to make sure they haven't backed out at all.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:43 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
My truck was doing something similar, can't say for sure if this is your issue but its worth a shot.

It turns out that this noise was coming from my clutch fork and release bearing. That sound is from the clutch fork sort of "dancing" in its assembly. There are 3 contact points that require lubricant on the clutch fork: the 2 points that make contact with the release bearing, and the point where the fork clips in and pivots off of.

If you peel back the boot thats on the outside of your transmission (it goes over the clutch fork arm) peek in there and spray a silicone, high temp lube on the 3 contact points on the fork. Any moly based lube will work fine.

The reason the noise stops when you push in the clutch is because it locks the clutch fork in place, causing the "dancing" to stop. If it is properly lubricated, you will not hear this noise.

I think that toyota messed up on the bell housing assembly. They should have made it at least somewhat water tight, because over time and use, the lube wears off on these contact points.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:44 AM

Does it sound like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5R9_DBM6qI
Old 05-14-2010, 09:22 AM

could not tell from video but not reallyA more of a jingle, like a tiny bell. it does not do it in neutral coasting unless I give it the rev, when the rev comes back down its silent agian! and if im cruisin and push in clutch it goes away also. so can I use wd40 or try like a chain lube with moly? or silicon lube? I have those.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:34 AM

dont use wd-40 lol I personally like the moly lube but silicone type will work well also. The noise starts about 15 seconds into the video, and someone is pushing the clutch and out so the noise starts and stops.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:36 AM

I only notice it when moving also. but depressing the clutch for sure makes it go away. im gonna try what you said to eliminate that or fix it if its that. does sound like something "dancing" around though, but a higher pitch like a charm or bell on a braclet?
Old 05-19-2010, 07:14 AM

I got under the truck and pulled that boot out of the tranny side, which was pretty soft and squishy feeling, and that fork that butts up agianst the slave cyl rod feels loose, should it move when you slighty wiggle it? the rod on the slave seems good, I can push it in then it slowly comes back out on its own, and makes no noise. but that fork wiggles? also I greesed the zerks on the main and front driveshafts, are there any others? the one on the main driveshaft needed many pumps before it started coming out thats slide looking shaft right behind the ujoint. there is alot of built up greese above the ujoint from it spinning off it?
Old 05-19-2010, 07:57 AM

I always have grease splatter from my u-joints. Doesn't mean it's ok though...someone will speak up. Might just mean we over grease them.

I don't quite recall...but I don't think there should be any play in the clutch shift fork...It should be firmly pushed against the throwout bearing & clutch. I'm not totally positive on that right now though so hopefully someone else will speak up. If I remember, I'll check mine out on my lunch break.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:10 PM

I have found the noise is indeed coming from the fork or the slave cylinder, when you push the clutch in the slave rod pushes hard against the fork and everything is very tight but when the clutch is let up, the slave rod does not really move back much and you can jiggle the fork and the slave rod. im letting my mechanic friend look at it tomorrow morning. the slave cyl is only 9 bucks but at this point not sure whats the issue. the clutch pedle is fine the travels fine and the drivablity is fine. whats the issue??
Old 05-19-2010, 07:18 PM

hmmm

did you read the thread where I got the video from lol thats what I said it was
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...earing-209996/

Good stuff though, at least you got it!
Old 05-19-2010, 08:09 PM

I will read thru the comments. so what do I need to do to fix the issue? is it a lube issue only? I sprayed white lithium grease in there and it still does it? but I cant really see what im shooting the grease at! should I put a new slave in or no? my buddy said the slave rod and fork should have pressure agianst each other, they only do when the clutch is depressed.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:17 PM

Yep...thats why its hard lol you can't really see in there. You just have to get a long straw to get deep in there....The point that requires the lubrication is the rounded bolt that the clutch fork clips down on and pivots off of.

I can't say for sure if this is your problem, it sounds like it could be your slave also. Your friend is correct, their should always be pressure between the clutch fork and slave rod. Not enough to move to fork, but enough to where it fits snug in between the slave body and fork. Those are pretty cheap, and tend to go out every few years, so its worth replacing.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:28 PM

I had the straw just in there like a inch, do I have to put the strw in further and hit a few points? my truck only has 54k orig miles, the slave could be extreamly old or orig?? I had my friend work the clutch pedel as I was under the truck. the slave rod pushes hard agianst the fork but when you release the pedel, is it suppose to shoot back in or is the fork what pushes the rod in? there is slack either in the fork or rod or both. what would you advise I do? thanks
Old 05-19-2010, 08:29 PM

could someone post a pic of this fork? might help me visualize where to lube thanks guys
Old 05-19-2010, 08:56 PM

I would bet that the slave is shot, if it is the original one. Like I said, the shaft should fit snug between the slave body and clutch fork point. Here is a pic of the clutch fork: The point that would need to be lubricated is the top picture, bottom left illustration of the fork.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:59 PM

Sorry, not the biggest pic. The part I'm talking about is the underside of the clutch fork. (the side that faces the transmission)
Old 05-19-2010, 09:14 PM

hopefully when I shot the white lit grease into the hole I did not lube anything bad, like the clutch disc?! how far down in the ball on the fork? few inches? two? should I use real grease on a brush or something? thanks!

Quick Reply: help diagnose noise please, tranny?