Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

daily driving my 83, some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
daily driving my 83, some questions.

Doing a motor swap in my Supra so I need the truck again, but she needs some work, unfortunatly I need the truck now because the motor in my car died alot sooner than I thought it would.

Power steering pump.. when its cold it whines and the reservoir foams up sometimes even pisses out of the cap, once the fluid gets warmed up it shuts up. What could this be? ive tried bleeding it(jackstands, lock to lock a billion times) but never any better, its an IFS steering box, Stock pump.

Brakes, pedal has pressure most of the time, but some times it will go almost right to the floor, its biased 100% to the front when it looses pressure, I took out the LSPV a long time ago. One of the rear wheel cylinders has a leak, fluid is down to the "min" mark. Sound like just the wheel cyl or could it be the booster or master? Brand new pads in the rear, plumbing a Willwood proportioning valve into the rear circuit.

Death wobble/Vibration, Krawlers are balanced and rims are true and yes the lugs are tight, steering is all tight and aligned(high steer), no stabilizer(might be my problem), poly spring bushings all around, all torqued to spec but, there is some room for them to move side to side in the front hanger, shocks are good. Its more of a steering wheel shimmy at highway speeds than death wobble. Drive shafts are indexed, front hubs are unlocked. What am I missing? would a stabilizer help alot?

Temp gauge, this ones tricky, I have a wire on my harness that leads to no where, its a spade style connector. The temp sensor is connected but this other wire is in the same harness, my Haynes manual says "too block near fuel pump" but theres nothing there. Its possible that I have a 22R harness, im not sure what year its from, truck is an 83 with a 20R motor. Anyone have a picture of their 20R wiring on the battery side? Diagrams arent helping. My temp gauge doesn't read, all my other gauges work properly, id really like to have a working temp, could it be the sensor itself?

Oil, right now it has 20w50 in it What are you guys running in your 20R/22R. It runs great, no smoke or consuming issues, no leaks, im thinking 10w40 would be good to step down to.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run 5w30 gtx in mine. id never run what you are personally.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:40 PM

Um temp gauge wire should be yellow..... the brakes could have a leak make sure there all tight,
Old 08-28-2009, 01:22 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Island_Yota

One of the rear wheel cylinders has a leak, fluid is down to the "min" mark. Sound like just the wheel cyl or could it be the booster or master?
Originally Posted by Scooby098
..... the brakes could have a leak make sure there all tight,
OP said wheel cylinder leaks. I would replace that wheel cylinder. Might just be allowing enough air into the system. Also check the line where you bypassed the LSPV. Might was bypassed but not tight. gave it a quarter turn...brakes worked again, go figure.

Originally Posted by Island_Yota

Death wobble/Vibration, Krawlers are balanced and rims are true and yes the lugs are tight, steering is all tight and aligned(high steer), no stabilizer(might be my problem), poly spring bushings all around, all torqued to spec but, there is some room for them to move side to side in the front hanger, shocks are good. Its more of a steering wheel shimmy at highway speeds than death wobble. Drive shafts are indexed, front hubs are unlocked. What am I missing? would a stabilizer help alot?,
My '81 has similar symptoms. It is not bad but noticeable.
the bushings being able to wander will contribute.
One thing I notice is that it is worse on some roads than other roads. new pavement is nice Mine are 35x13.50's, they seem to be affected by the ruts on some roads. I tried a buddy's narrow 33x9.50's and had no issues.
-a steering stablizer or hydro assist will definitely help.

-T-G has a steering stablizer kit for around $80 that I will probably be ordering in a month or so...
Old 08-28-2009, 07:41 AM

death wobble and pulling will get you on wider tires like said abover i run 15.5 wide 39.5's and they will grab like a son gun on some roads and other it will go down the road and never pull
Old 09-02-2009, 06:36 PM

ok I cant figure out the temp gauge wiring.

theres a sensor on the thermostat housing that has a Green/Red wire going to it, with a green connector.. it is hooked up. Theres a Yellow/Green wire in the same harness with a grey sleeve and grey spade connector that leads to no where, literally no where to plug it into not that I can see. The wiring diagram doesn't mention the Green/Red wire, but it does list the Yellow/Green as the water temp gauge wire, except.. it doesn't plug into the spot where the Green/Red one goes.. totally different connector.

My thermostat housing has 2 bungs in it, on the rad side of the thermostat, looks like I could add a sensor in one? maybe its missing a sensor all together?

anyone have a picture of their 20R wiring around the thermostat/temp sensor area?
Old 09-02-2009, 08:54 PM

hmm mine just has a spade connecter on the end of the temp senser, and I just plugged the yellow and green into it temp works,,
Old 09-03-2009, 03:08 AM

Ill grab a Pic of my sensors tomorrow for you with the wires. Should be the same as yours. Think its yellow wire with green strip that has a green plug on the end, and plugs into a green sensor before the Tstat. But ill get a pic