Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

82 Alt/Voltage Regulator Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
82 Alt/Voltage Regulator Confusion

Recently had my Charge Indicator Light pop on while driving and the battery drained/lights shut off etc. Measured the battery voltage while running at idle and got ~12.6V so i figure the Alternator went out and took it off to test/replace. First time I have done this on this truck and I am encountering some conflicting info from what I see on the truck, what autozone lists as part specs and a post on the marlin crawler forums about this very thing. Pics referenced from imgur, and full album can be found here http://imgur.com/a/SgqFo

First off, truck is a 1982 4x4 that is mostly stock so no fancy mods to the charging system (by me...)

Read up on whether i needed a 55A/40A alternator for this year on the marlin crawler forums, since I only have a 1985 FSM and it may not be completely accurate for my 82. Here http://board.marlincrawler.com/index...8431#msg638431

This is where things get confusing. Bullet numbers correspond to pics in imgur album.

1/2) Alternator I just removed has a GREEN band and an LEF connector that AutoZone lists as the 40A alternator. Marlin post claims that this is the connector for the BLACK banded 55A alternator...
3/4) Truck harness side has an LEF connector that fits the 40A alternator listed on AutoZone, again Marlin post claims that this is the connector for the BLACK banded 55A alternator.
5/6) Voltage Reg on the truck has the oval 5 prong connector, AutoZone lists this type connector as the 55A voltage regulator. This does not match the Alternator I pulled off the truck, but matches up with what the Marlin post thinks should be on an 82 4x4
7) Took a look at the harness/connectors and there is some suspect electrical tape on the cables leading to the 3 prong LEF connector. I removed all the tape down to the shrink tube and can see no signs of tampering. Debating whether or not I should remove the shrink tube to check that out...

I am wondering if a prev owner chopped off the 3 prong 55A connector and replaced with the 40A one. This would mean that AutoZone has their story straight, and the Marlin post is mixed up.
There is also the chance that AutoZone is mixed up and I am actually running a 55A alternator. That would explain the 55A regulator. Not sure why there is a green band on the one I removed though...

Any thoughts or suggestions about what I should be running and what you think may be going on here are appreciated.

-AW
Old 08-21-2016, 01:46 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
You have to go with what you have in front of you .

Unless you bought your truck off the dealer lot back when it first got unloaded no way to tell just what all might be changed

Could very well be one plug broke and was replaced by what was laying around

Last edited by wyoming9; 08-21-2016 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the reply Wyoming. I agree completely. Bottom line though is I will replace/modify whatever is necessary to make it right. Just want to be sure I understand what goes with what before I go chopping cables.

I just downloaded 83toyota88's 1983 FSM and took a look at at the charging chapter. Much better info than in the 1985 FSM. It looks like the Alternator/Regulator I have in front of me are the "IC Regulator Type" (can tell by the fan assembly on the alternator and the 5 wires going into the regulator on the wiring diagram).

I would just buy both from Toyota to be sure they match up but they quoted me ~$180 for the regulator, which is ridiculous. Will prob buy the alternator refurbed from Toyota tomorrow (~$115) and talk to the parts guy there about what amperage regulator should be replaced with it.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:28 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
I hope this works out for you while I love my Parts Manager !!

If I asked him a technical question about something that old

I would get the 1000 yard blank stare and a few mumbled words

Then you might get lucky
Old 08-23-2016, 09:02 AM

Best he could do for me was look up the part by VIN and he said that truck originally had a 40A alternator. It is ordered it from him and the voltage regulator that matched the VIN (found a remanufactured one from Toyota for $36) so when it comes in I will compare connectors with what came off my truck. If it doesn't match I'll have him order the 55A...

Process of elimination will prevail!
Old 08-28-2016, 11:02 PM

those trucks had 2 options depending on climate in the region it was being sold in. harsher climates got the bigger alternator, radiator reservoir, and windshield wiper motor. few other things too. the auto zone should have given you a pigtail to hook the 55 up with? 5 wire regulator I believe is 55amp and 6 wire was 40. not counting the separate wire to radio filter.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is some interesting information. I was under the impression all first gen and befores had 40 amps. I know years back when I went to get a new alternator for my 82, O'Reilly had two. One was "with green connector" and one was "without green connector". The green connector one was 35 and the non-green connector was 90. That could be a reason to hack the harness lol. IIRC, they were both 50 amps further complicating the matter.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:47 AM

If you look at wiring schematics in the back of the TSRMs you'll see the variations due to frigid zones. check em out. I believe toyota called them frigid zones. I know they still do it today with heavier duty heaters in colder areas. all depends on the region of the country it was originally heading toward. I can take some picts of wiring schematics from 80 to show you. Michael I have a post somewhere here with options and differences on an 80 model. I have an 84 in the yard that is still using external voltage regulator. all depended on hot or cold climate destination.