Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

81 Toyota leaning/ passenger front higher

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
81 Toyota leaning/ passenger front higher

Might be a stupid question, but really looking for some external input on this one.

So.. Before going out wheeling I specifically remember measuring the distance from tire to fender on the front end. Both measured outthe same and also looked the same.

Now I went to browns, hit some trails, rock pits, hill climbs yada yada. And came home and the next day me and the girlfriend are looking at my truck and it's sitting passenger side up/driver side down. Almost as if it's leaning on an axis drawn diagonally across the truck.

Axles are straight, springs seem to have about the same amount of arch, shackle angles are the same, frame shows no signs of cracking or warping...

Is there anything specific anybody can think of I should look for? I'll try to get some pictures up here soon.

Thanks again
Old 09-02-2011, 06:19 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
broken body mount?
Old 09-02-2011, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
broken body mount?
I'm almost positive that isn't the case. But I'll give it a good double checking.

After looking at it again the passenger side springs do have a bit more arch in them and this shows in the shackle angle. But it definately doesn't seem enough to be causing the amount of lean I'm getting.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:49 PM

Passenger side

Driver side

Underside

On a side note i parked the trucks passenger side on a curb while i went into a store for a while and after a little bit of driving when i got home the gap closed from about probly 4 inch differance to .25inch-.5inch.

could the driver side just have recieved more action out on the trails and have been compressed more and it just needed time to even out? it still leans but its not nearly as bad..
Old 09-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Looks like you built a hybrid spring pack. When you did the d/s did you put that 3/8 or so spacer back in that is supposed to help even out d/s with the p/s?
Condition of the springs when you built the back will also have some bearing..
Old 09-04-2011, 02:34 PM

you springs have a differant arch. your drivers side will have more arah than the passanger side. this is to allow for the differant height in spring perches.

if you look at the passenger side the perch is right on the diff housing so is higher also check the shackles are not binding up
Old 09-07-2011, 08:32 AM

I took the height differance on the axle mounts into consideration when the packs were built, and added the spacer to the driver side only. The truck sat perfectly level for quite some time and only started to lean after a trip up to browns camp.

The truck will also level out after a few days of regular use on the roads. But it seems like every time it gets flexed out it needs time to reset itself back to level.

I'm going to tinker with it today and I'll post back more findings. I'm starting to think it has something to do with my shackles, shocks, or position of the axle on the springs.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by JagerFiend
I took the height differance on the axle mounts into consideration when the packs were built, and added the spacer to the driver side only. The truck sat perfectly level for quite some time and only started to lean after a trip up to browns camp.

The truck will also level out after a few days of regular use on the roads. But it seems like every time it gets flexed out it needs time to reset itself back to level.

I'm going to tinker with it today and I'll post back more findings. I'm starting to think it has something to do with my shackles, shocks, or position of the axle on the springs.
Yep. Leaf sprung. With lots of articulation, expect that to happen. If you don't want it to, start thinking coil overs
Old 09-08-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by neockder
Yep. Leaf sprung. With lots of articulation, expect that to happen. If you don't want it to, start thinking coil overs
Haha thats what im starting to think. guess im just gonna have to live with it for a while and keep dinking with it.

It just seems like my rig is the only one that experiences problems like these and it bugs me from time to time. Haha im picky about stuff tho so whatever

Last edited by dropzone; 09-21-2011 at 09:02 PM. Reason: langauge
Old 09-21-2011, 09:45 AM

Observation

Don't know if you've noticed, but in your pics the PS view shows your front wheel futher forward than the DS view. I'm referencing the bolts on the front and rear shackles. PS you can barely see the front bolt. Also the rear part of the wheelwells have a slight difference in spacing with the tire. Could be the angle of the camera when the pics were taken, though. Just doesn't look even.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very worn and dragging shocks can sometimes cause this issue.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:52 PM

Pull your shocks to see if it fixes it, eliminate things one by one.