Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

81 SR5 transmission help

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 08:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry 81 SR5 transmission help

I am hearing a loud tapping under acceleration. Crawled under truck and had someone push the gas pedal and it sounds like its coming from the bell housing. There are 4 bolts at the very front of transmission that look like they hold on an inspection cover. Is that correct? Remove 4 bolts and cover will slide down so I can see clutch, flywheel? I was thinking either a bolt backed out or possibly cracked flywheel? What do you guys think?
Old 06-09-2014, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
22r? V6? Do you know what transmission you have? I have an `82 Pickup that just went through this, and mine was a bad input shaft bearing that lead to some gears being munched.
- I know input shaft bearings are often the issue with what your describing.
- Does it make the noise in neutral? Only under load? in some gears more than others? Some more details might help too.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Batousaii
22r? V6? Do you know what transmission you have? I have an `82 Pickup that just went through this, and mine was a bad input shaft bearing that lead to some gears being munched.
- I know input shaft bearings are often the issue with what your describing.
- Does it make the noise in neutral? Only under load? in some gears more than others? Some more details might help too.
22R with 5 speed trans. It makes the noise in neutral or when in gear. Not when idleing. Pushing in clutch doesn't change the sound at all. I haven't drove it any faster than 1st because I don't want to tear anything up worse.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:22 AM

Pushing in the clutch puts pressure on the clutch spring, which in turn puts pressure on the clutch hub, flywheel, and crankshaft (thus ye-old thrust bearing). So, if there is no change in pitch/noise when the clutch is pressed in, or very little change, then it's more than likely on the transmission side. That being said, the only real solution is to pull the trans and take a look. There isn't much that can be adjusted on a transmission (Unlike an engine and it's valves etc.) So if the trans is the noisy culprit, then it's likely broken something, or worn it past it's limit.
- Also, i presume the tapping noise changes speed along with the engine rpm yes?
- Is it a dull knocking, or a sharper tapping? any grinding sounds along with it? Mine sounded like a "ratcheting clicky noise that turned into to a buzz with any engine speed, but would only make it under load. all gears but 4th. and eventually 4 was bad too. When in neutral, or idle, it was barely noticable.

Last edited by Batousaii; 06-09-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:33 AM

So does the plate at the front of the bell housing come off so can inspect the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel or do have to pull the trans to check them?????
Old 06-09-2014, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by sandman666
So does the plate at the front of the bell housing come off so can inspect the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel or do have to pull the trans to check them?????
Not sure about the cover. Mine is an L50 transmission (New one is L52), so mine has a solid bell housing, no inspection covers. I'd give it a shot and open it up. If the door is on the bell itself (and not the actual gear case) then it wont hurt anything. There isn't any oil in there. If the door is on the gear box itself, then it'll be a mess when the oil gushes out.
- Some pics might help too. then we can take a better guess at what trans you actually have. maybe you'll get lucky and it'll simply be something loose with that door? - poke around.

- Did you ever get your shifter problem fixed? I am wondering if the problems are related.

- Also, do you have a service manual? it might help give some ideas.

Last edited by Batousaii; 06-09-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:29 AM

Not sure about the cover. Mine is an L50 transmission (New one is L52), so mine has a solid bell housing, no inspection covers. I'd give it a shot and open it up. If the door is on the bell itself (and not the actual gear case) then it wont hurt anything. There isn't any oil in there. If the door is on the gear box itself, then it'll be a mess when the oil gushes out.
- Some pics might help too. then we can take a better guess at what trans you actually have. maybe you'll get lucky and it'll simply be something loose with that door? - poke around.

- Did you ever get your shifter problem fixed? I am wondering if the problems are related.

- Also, do you have a service manual? it might help give some ideas.
My parts from Marlin Crawler should be here today. What I am talking about is at the very front of the trans. I know its a cover, just don't know if you have to pull the trans to remove it. I pulled the bottom 4 bolts that seem to hold it on and I still cant move it. I think it might go in between the bell housing and the engine. If so I have to pull trans
Old 06-09-2014, 11:48 AM

Yes it's a sandwhich plate that goes between the transmission and engine, you can't remove it unless you pull the transmission, if it is a loose flywheel you could probably hear a sound just when cranking (when I worked at vw that's what they did) and a vibration just in neutral too.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:57 AM

I think it might go in between the bell housing and the engine.
- Correct. It's actually a big round plate that is sandwitched between eng/trans.
- So, it the noise steay and evenly synchronized with the engine? Or is it a random clanking around? I'm still leaning toward input shaft bearing. And I'm guessing you have a 5-speed L50 like my `82 had. Sorry i keep asking for better noise description, i'm just trying to visualise it to give me food for thought.

Edit to add: Regardless of it being a loose flywheel, pilot bearing, input shaft bearing, trans-gears or just a loose chunk flying around in the bell housing... you'll have to pull it to get inside there to really inspect/fix/replace anything.I just went through it twice... so believe me I know how much of a pain it is.

Last edited by Batousaii; 06-09-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:36 PM

The tap like a fan blade would sound if it were hitting the shroud and it gets louder and faster as you accelerate. Laying under it, it definitely sounds like it's coming from the bell housing. I was thinking maybe a bolt had backed out of flywheel or pressure plate
Old 06-09-2014, 01:57 PM

The tap like a fan blade would sound if it were hitting the shroud and it gets louder and faster as you accelerate. Laying under it, it definitely sounds like it's coming from the bell housing. I was thinking maybe a bolt had backed out of flywheel or pressure plate
- Sorry to hear. I know it sux to take eng/trans out, but it's an opportunity to really know whats going on in there. In less than three months, I've had mine in and out twice. Once to replace an engine, and the second time the transmission. I'll be putting it all back in tomorrow and Wednesday. Having done that, I really know the truck like the back of my hand now. Be sure to collect the proper tools and material, FSM/Manuals etc.

Not sure where you are located. But i got my transmission from http://trannymech.wix.com/happy-transmissions . He does ship out of state, Canada etc.

Last edited by Batousaii; 06-09-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What parts did you order from Marlin?.....you will need to drop the tranny to figure this one out.... I am going thru this myself right now.....waiting on new L52 and clutch package from Marlin.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by 81 Toyo
What parts did you order from Marlin?.....you will need to drop the tranny to figure this one out.... I am going thru this myself right now.....waiting on new L52 and clutch package from Marlin.
Shifter socket and seats.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:24 AM

Got the trans out and turns out that two of the little roller looking things in the middle of the clutch disc were loose as hell. Clutch was wore out bad. On most clutch discs I've seen these are little springs. but anyway, when i move them they make the exact noise that I had been hearing. So bought a clutch kit and i'll be installing over the next couple days. I'm sure this will make the tapping go away.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:04 AM

WoW nice. Glad it's a relatively easy fix. Much better to find it's a clutch plate than the transmission itself. Might as well treat the transmission to a new front seal and oil change while you have it out.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:03 AM

WoW nice. Glad it's a relatively easy fix. Much better to find it's a clutch plate than the transmission itself. Might as well treat the transmission to a new front seal and oil change while you have it out.
Yes, the seal has been leaking. How hard is it to change? Looks like you pull 6 bolts and cover slides off the shaft, pop out old seal, install new seal, slide cover back on, and replace bolts. Correct?
Old 06-13-2014, 11:07 AM

Ya, you got it. 6 bolts and it pops off pretty easy. The seal itself is in the cover that you just pulled off too, so makes it simple. Got my seal at Napa, cheap. Also note, the trans will barf out most of it's oil once that cover is off, so might drain it first, or be prepared to deal with a mess.