Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

Jack Stand Safety?

Old 09-01-2007, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jack Stand Safety?

I have to do a clutch job on my 4runner and S-10. I currently have the s-10 up on four jack stands with four tires off the ground and am wondering if it is safe to crawl under. I need to drop the transmission and well...the jack stands scare the crap out of me. I NEED ADVICE ON JACK STAND SAFETY AND PRECOUTIONARY PROCEDURES.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:21 AM

you should get a hydraulic jack to be a little safer, but if your stands are storng then your fine, but yes it freaks everyone one out when you are under a 1 1/2 ton truck being supporting by 4 20 pound stands.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
We use those jacks at the track, and crawl under our race cars. Good rule of thumb that we use at the wrecking yard: Once a vehicle is up on stands, shake it realllly well. If its going to fall, that will be the time it does.

As long as your stands are good quality, you will be ok. BTW do NOT rely on just a hydraulic jack. They can fail at any time for any reason.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:42 AM

We recently had someone get killed at work by not taking proper precautions. More is always better when it comes to safely supporting your vehicle. The accident happend becuase the service rep. got in a hurry and supported a machine by one bottle jack, and no jackstands. It was over 100 degrees out and the jack acutally sank into the asphalt. As long as you use the stands properly, and your equipment is in good condition, you should be fine.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:45 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
As long as the jack stands are rated high...the big ones (not those puney 2ton things at Wal-Mart, etc.) and you're on firm, level surface you'll be fine. Just make sure the stands are positioned under the axle correctly (seated in the "saddle") and the stand levers are seated well in the teeth.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by thook
As long as the jack stands are rated high...the big ones (not those puney 2ton things at Wal-Mart, etc.) and you're on firm, level surface you'll be fine. Just make sure the stands are positioned under the axle correctly (seated in the "saddle") and the stand levers are seated well in the teeth.
I beg to differ! We did an engine swap in a ford rollback with the 7.3 powerstroke this summer the front of the truck ended up sittin on 2 small jackstands that looked like they wouldnt hold a lawnmower for 3 months no problems.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Once a vehicle is up on stands, shake it realllly well. If its going to fall, that will be the time it does.

BTW do NOT rely on just a hydraulic jack. They can fail at any time for any reason.
He's right. Once a vehicle is on stands, I shake it....and yes, hydraulic jacks can blow a seal and down it goes.

I use 3 Ton Craftsman stands. It came in a combo kit with a 3 ton rolling floor jack. Big difference between it and the 2 or 2.5 ton stuff at Wal-mart or Autozone. I had to buy it because that little jack was at full lift and wouldn't even hit the axle housing on my FJ40. So IMHO, a good set is a good investment. That $100 I spent years ago has saved me time, money and its nice to know they are solid.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by frodin1
The accident happend becuase the service rep. got in a hurry and supported a machine by one bottle jack, and no jackstands. It was over 100 degrees out and the jack acutally sank into the asphalt.
Sorry to hear about the accident. Stuff like that really sucks.

Here are a few rules for jackstands:
1. jack up on a level, firm surface like concrete. stands will sink into asphalt, unless they have a baseplate.
2. put the stands under the axle housing or the frame in a spot that won't shift. for a truck, you may need 6T jackstands to get enough height.
3. Use jackstands in matched pairs.
4. shake the truck really hard side to side and up-down to make sure it's not going to shift on you. If it shifts while you shake it, reposition the stand(s). Try really hard to shift the vehicle while it's on stands, to make sure it's not going to move once you're under it.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chrishf12
I beg to differ! We did an engine swap in a ford rollback with the 7.3 powerstroke this summer the front of the truck ended up sittin on 2 small jackstands that looked like they wouldnt hold a lawnmower for 3 months no problems.
You, just because y'all did something completely moronic, and got any with it doesn't mean it's safe.
Even admitting it in public, geeezzzzz.......................

Fred
Old 09-01-2007, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put your tires under your brake rotors for safety. If a stand fails, the brake rotors will fall into the rim area of the tire and save your butt. I had the crap scared out of me when I was doing a clutch job and while pushing the transmission into the clutch I noticed the cheap jack stands starting to rock. I threw those MF in the trash and got some wide, HD stands and from then on always put tires under to prevent the vehicle from falling on me. Better yet, leave the tires on and use a spare set of rims as your jack stands.

How much is your life worth? Get WIDE, HD stands that are brand name. Sears doesn't want their butt sued off by some crappy stands failing and mashing someone flat, for example.

$0.02
Old 09-01-2007, 12:30 PM

Take the tires off and put a few under the frame for added support, in case a jack stand fails
Old 09-01-2007, 12:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i'm paranoid. on top of jackstands I try to always stack some scrap wood under there just to be on the safe side. and wood is also good under things like your rotors, should the truck actually fall better landing on wood than concrete. unfortunately my jackstands (purchased new, april 07) were stolen so now I have to be creative while being cautious at the same time. if you can find some cuts from a beam to use, that is preferred. that is, something like an 8x16 or abouts. i wouldnt advise stacking 2x4s lol
Old 09-01-2007, 01:10 PM

i Do the tire/wheel under the rotor thing to i rather buy new wheels then ...wait i cant buy a new life
Old 09-01-2007, 01:48 PM

I have zero issues with the use of jack stands. They are there for safety purposes so use them. Like I said though, it's when people get in a hurry, that's when accidents and or damage happen. I've even seen people at the big tire shops get in a hurry, pull the jack out, and never bother to support the vehicle.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by curtiswyant
Take the tires off and put a few under the frame for added support, in case a jack stand fails
I can't believe this thread went that long before someone said that...

Always put the tires under the truck when you take them off. I trust them more under the frame because that's where I'll be laying.

Even if you aren't under the truck do this because if the truck falls you'll still be able to get a jack under it to jack it back up.

I usually put the tires under the truck, stands on the frame, and then before I start working on it I raise the floor jack up under the 3rd member just until it touches for more support.

You can't be too careful here.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by curtiswyant
Yup this is a very good practice. Do this with any jack/stand. Rim damage = money. Damage to your body = ouch. And serious 4wheeling down time.

Around here we always slide rims under the vehicle. It gives us a good spot to put them too, especially in a tight garage.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
I usually put the tires under the truck, stands on the frame, and then before I start working on it I raise the floor jack up under the 3rd member just until it touches for more support.
Thats exactly how I do it. I had a good friend die from pulling a tranny out from under his tow truck when he was only using a hyrdaulic jack. He knew better than that to. Stuff just happens so ever since then I have been cautious.

Invest in a good set of 6+ ton jack stands that will reach your frame.

On a side note.. when I did my clutch install this past summer I didn't even get the wheels off the ground.

Last edited by cootees; 09-01-2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cootees
On a side note.. when I did my clutch install this past summer I didn't even get the wheels off the ground.

hehe, we pulled my tranny/t-case out from under the truck without jacking it up I love trucks!
Old 09-01-2007, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by FredTJ
You, just because y'all did something completely moronic, and got any with it doesn't mean it's safe.
Even admitting it in public, geeezzzzz.......................

Fred
My point was as long as the jackstands are rated for it it will hold safely. Ill be the first to tell you im not gonna get under something if it doesnt look safe. I wasnt the one who jacked the truck up, it was my uncle who has been working on heavyduty equipment and building service trucks for over 10 years.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:24 PM
CJM

Always use over rated stands imho. I use 3.5 ton sears craftsman pro ones and I am very happy with them. 6 ton is overkill to an extreme though

Also the tires under the rotors and drums is a very good idea. I always do it.

NEVER EVER lift form a hydraulic jack if you intend to be under the vehicle. THe jack can break and there goes a ton of weight on you! Who cares if your just changing a tire as your not close enough to the frame and it takes only a minute, but never use one when your under it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jack Stand Safety?