Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

I love tools....any forums that are JUST about tools/workshops?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love tools....any forums that are JUST about tools/workshops?

I'm addicted to tools. Something about cracking open a new case using a tool for the first time.

I've been searching for a tool site that has some of everything - woodworking, metalworking, shop info and ideas, etc. Most of the sites I've come across have been smaller sections related to automotive.

So, post up - share your favorite tool forum sites (if they exist).

I'm even thinking of starting a dedicated site for this if there isn't anything much out there. Seems like a niche to be filled...
Old 08-08-2005, 06:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
am I the only one who sneaks into sears on saterday afternoon to see if there some good tools I can pick up for cheap.

Or strolls through Home depot's power tool section without actually needing a tool.

Cebby you need to have a garage sale and sell me some of those tools you got in the there. I'l give you $50 for your hydro bender
Old 08-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

I can see the posts now....

Guy's, just got back from Sears, picked up a new craftsman racheting set. Let me tell ya, these are definetly better than last years set. So I've completly disassembled everything in my house, these rock! Anyone know of any mods that can be done to increase racheting speed, or longevity? I've been eyeing this new longevity spray, kinda like WD-40, anyone try this stuff or heard anything about it? Also, whats the best way to get grease off your hands? Thanks guys, this forum ROCKS!!!

-----
Dave

04 Craftsmen racheting set, And much more too come as the $$ allows!

Reply:

Dave,

Welcome to the forum, great racheting set you got yourself. I bought that set, but needed a bit more so I traded that set in for the Deluxe set. Anyways, welcome to the forum and don't be afraid to use the SEARCH button, as everything you've asked has already been discussed. You'll find hours upon hours of info, but go-jo works pretty well for the grease, as well as lava soap. Happy Racheting!

Like I always say, "If it ain't broke, break it so you can use your tools!"

------
Tim

40 piece speed-lok and drive set, 10 inch Table Saw with dust collection, 1 inch Impacat wrench with Extended Anvil

Soon: 546 piece mechanics set (as soon as the wife ups my allowance)
Old 08-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Banned

Old 08-08-2005, 06:47 PM

EwayYota:

I tried searching but couldn't come up with any results.
Does anyone know what Righty-tighty, lefty-losey means? I'm new to the board and tools, maybe someone could post a picture? Alright well I'm going to go check out the deep-well vs intermediate socket thread seeya.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rngrchad

EwayYota:

I tried searching but couldn't come up with any results.
Does anyone know what Righty-tighty, lefty-losey means? I'm new to the board and tools, maybe someone could post a picture? Alright well I'm going to go check out the deep-well vs intermediate socket thread seeya.
If you have to ask what righty tighty, lefty loosy means, your not ready for a tool set yet. Go check out www.POWERTOOLSONLY.com they're really cool guys and treat newbies just swell!
Old 08-08-2005, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by sdastg1
am I the only one who sneaks into sears on saterday afternoon to see if there some good tools I can pick up for cheap.

Or strolls through Home depot's power tool section without actually needing a tool.

Cebby you need to have a garage sale and sell me some of those tools you got in the there. I'l give you $50 for your hydro bender
Shazad - you aren't the only one at Sears and Home Depot - me too. Sorry, no garage sale. I only sell tools when I have already upgraded and have no use for the replaced tool anymore.

The rest of you are dipsticks.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

Thank God I'm not the only tool junkie!! My gf absolutely HATES it everytime we go to the mall. I will literally stay in Sear's tool department for hours just ogling and wishing I had the money for x-new Craftsman stuff. I will say this, the latest Craftsman catalog I got was a much bigger improvement than any others. More selections, new tools, and more vareity in brand names.

edit: Almost forgot to mention... when I first started working at my dealership I was not aware that the tool companies like Mac, Snap ON, Matco, Cornewll, etc. would come to us. I remember the first time I boarded the Snap On tool truck. I was like a kid in a candy store, the Snap On man even gave me a free pocket screwdriver! *I know it's a way for them to get their names and number thing for them* I was so stoked, my gf knows what day it is just by me mentioning what tool truck came LOL!

Last edited by Ironmike4x4; 08-08-2005 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ceebs,

we love you too! hahaahaaaaaa!

bob
Old 08-08-2005, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
ceebs,

we love you too! hahaahaaaaaa!

bob
Sorry I meant posts 3-7.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

I too cant help myself when im in Home Depot, Lowes, or Sears without stoping just to look at tools...even tools that i already have.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cebby
Sorry I meant posts 3-7.
HEYYYY! Thats good comedy right there!
Old 08-08-2005, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

that was awesome ewayyota.

when i read the title of this thread, it sure reminded me of "i love lamp"
Old 08-09-2005, 04:17 AM

So I take it no one has any thoughts on other tool forums?
Old 08-09-2005, 06:19 AM
Contributing Member

Try ...

small but neat metal working forum ... http://www.metalmeet.com

DIY Forum (so, so) ... http://forum.doityourself.com/forumdisplay.php?f=132

I just like Rigid tools (no funy comments required) ... http://www.ridgidforum.com
Old 08-09-2005, 06:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RLJ3RD
I just like Rigid tools (no funy comments required) ... http://www.ridgidforum.com

Old 08-09-2005, 06:49 AM

Yep, tools rock. I can also spend tons of time roaming around harbor freight. That stuff is so cheap you cant help but buy stuff you dont need. I bought a rotary tool with like 60 bits for 7.99. You really cant go wrong.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

I used to go to harbor freight . but then when you use the cheap tools, theyre dissapointing. Which is why I like craftsman, its good quality for a reasonable price. Snap-on, MAC and all those maybe be really nice, but I can't justify their price as just a shade tree mechanic
Old 08-09-2005, 05:59 PM

OK, those tool sites are out there, but not what I had in mind. Anyone else care to chime in?
Old 08-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by EWAYota
I can see the posts now....

Guy's, just got back from Sears, picked up a new craftsman racheting set. Let me tell ya, these are definetly better than last years set. So I've completly disassembled everything in my house, these rock! Anyone know of any mods that can be done to increase racheting speed, or longevity? I've been eyeing this new longevity spray, kinda like WD-40, anyone try this stuff or heard anything about it? Also, whats the best way to get grease off your hands? Thanks guys, this forum ROCKS!!!

-----
Dave

04 Craftsmen racheting set, And much more too come as the $$ allows!

Reply:

Dave,

Welcome to the forum, great racheting set you got yourself. I bought that set, but needed a bit more so I traded that set in for the Deluxe set. Anyways, welcome to the forum and don't be afraid to use the SEARCH button, as everything you've asked has already been discussed. You'll find hours upon hours of info, but go-jo works pretty well for the grease, as well as lava soap. Happy Racheting!

Like I always say, "If it ain't broke, break it so you can use your tools!"

------
Tim

40 piece speed-lok and drive set, 10 inch Table Saw with dust collection, 1 inch Impacat wrench with Extended Anvil

Soon: 546 piece mechanics set (as soon as the wife ups my allowance)
Oh man that's hilarious, really needed that right now
As far as going around looking at tools I fall into that group too, we're lucky enough to have one of the Grizzly industrial places here so I go through the catalog and circle things then go in there and play with em as far as tool forums I dunno of any but one would be sweet.

Quick Reply: I love tools....any forums that are JUST about tools/workshops?