Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

Gear Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 02:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GearWrench

What is everyone's opinion on GearWrench's ratcheting wrenches? I work as a mechanic part time during the school year and full time during the summer and have never used them. My dad owns the shop and I have been using his Craftsman ratcheting wrenches, and now I want a set of my own. He says that Gear Wrench is his favorite brand, but I have never used them. I looked today and found out that Lowes carries them, but I am sceptical about tools from Lowes. I have had a hard time returning Kobalt stuff after breaking them.
Thanks

Last edited by HarrisonP; 04-04-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

I have a cheap set of gearwrenches from costco and they're awesome. I haven't had any problems with them at all, even using them with a 3 foot breaker bar. I've had them for three years. I should also state that I have a set of matco ratchet wrenches and a set of craftsman ratchet wrenches and the cheapo gear wrenches are my favorite.

Last edited by 4runnermt; 04-04-2006 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

Is it the GearWrench brand? When I buy tools I like to buy nice ones. Tools are something that can keep for a long time, especially if they have a lifetime warranty.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:18 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, they're the gear wrench brand. Costco had them 3 years ago around chrismas.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:00 PM
Contributing Member

Oh, I didn't know Costco sold them. Then again I usually go to Sam's club. I am not a Costco member.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:19 PM
Contributing Member

i have a set of craftsman gear wrenches... the kind with the reverse... theyre my favorite tool in the tool box. I use them everyday!
Old 04-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by HarrisonP
Oh, I didn't know Costco sold them. Then again I usually go to Sam's club. I am not a Costco member.
I havent seen them there since I got them 3 years ago.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:07 AM

I have the Gearwrench brand metric wrenches. I got them from Sears. You have to keep the receipt for them to honor the warranty, unlike Craftsman.

I have had them for about three years and I use them quite often. They work great and they have a tighter ratio than some other brands. That is probably why your father likes them. They also fit into places that some others won't because the ends are so thin. Just be careful if you have to apply excess force. I have noticed one of mine starting to try to come apart. I was able to get it back together before it broke but now I break things loose with something else first. I have abused them a bit though.

All and all they are a good buy.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:25 AM
Contributing Member

I have a set of sae and metric that are 10 years old now. I haven't used a regular wrench since I got these from Napa. I've never broken one and I've tried! they are a sound investment. unfortunately mine are not reversable, you have to turn them over for reverse!
Old 04-05-2006, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by maxpower_hd
I have the Gearwrench brand metric wrenches. I got them from Sears. You have to keep the receipt for them to honor the warranty, unlike Craftsman.
Would that be Sear's requirement or GearWrench's? I imagine it would be the wrench company since they replace Craftsman with no questions asked.

Like I said I am only working as a mechanic to get through college, and I would use them a lot. I don't plan on working there after college, but I would like something to last me a very long time. I looked at Lowes, Sears is not very close to where I live, and they only have the 8 wrench metrice set. I would prefer to get the 16 wrench metrice set, seeing as they are pretty expensive to buy one by one.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

look on ebay
Old 04-05-2006, 06:58 PM

I've got the GearWrench ratcheting wrenches, and GearWrench socket set.

I love the socket set because of hollow center, therefore I can get to long bolts.
The only problem I had was that the ratchet broke (would only turn one way) so I called them up, and since these are lifetime warranty, they sent me a free replacement!

And as for the ratcheting wrenches, those are awesome too. Haven't had any problems except for people trying to keep them for themselves cuz they like them haha.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:16 AM
Contributing Member

Well I've decided to go with the GearWrench set. Yall have had enough good things to say about them and I think the price is right. Thanks
Old 04-11-2006, 06:56 AM

Sorry for the late reply. The receipt return policy, I believe, is a Gearwrench requirment, not Sears since it is not a Craftsman product.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

Well I bought both the SAE and metric set and have already used them a few times. I really like them and have the receipt stored away just in case.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Craftsman version - partly because I always loose receipts and I want them to be covered. They've been good to me.

I evaluated the Gearwrench brand when I looked at these, but with the large amount of Craftsman stuff I have, I felt more comfortable going with the Craftsman brand.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:55 AM

Craftsman didn't make that type when I bought mine. Most of my stuff is Craftsman as well.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i have the flat (non offset) gearwrench version.

i swore up and down that i didnt need to spend $60 on a set of wrenches when my box ends have been working fine for years.

then i had to take my motor mounts loose and spent 30 min working one nut off the "old fashon way"

After i got them off, i said never again, and went out and bought the metric ones. im pissed they didnt included a 19 mm! but i have gotten good use out of them sence.

I have a few friends that have the reversing kind (little lever version) and they have toasted them in just a few months..... ill stick to the straight ones and flipping the wrench over.

I also sharpee'd one side of mine (on the open end side onlY) so i knew which way was "on" and "off" when i pick one up.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

Most of my tools are Craftsman also, although I still have the Channel Lock set my dad gave me for my first tool set ages ago.

Originally Posted by snap-on
i have the flat (non offset) gearwrench version.
Those are the ones I got and I like them so far.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
when i was a professional mechanic, our boss bought us a set. less than a week later, most had fallen apart and other had siezed up. we tried the craftsman ones, and they were no better. worse yet, they don't stock individual wrenches at the store, so they have to mail you a new one.

i've got a set of the "heavy duty" non reversable ones(the kind you flip over to reverse), and i've been pretty happy with them, other than the fact that it has a "feature" that makes it freespool if you wedge it into a tight spot. kinda irritating...

Quick Reply: Gear Wrench