Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Kelly Flats, Colorado 10-22-05...lots of pics and vids!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kelly Flats, Colorado 10-22-05...lots of pics and vids!

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showt...t=47316&page=1

Chris
Old 10-26-2005, 10:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dang Chris that one picture is crazy! good pictures.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:22 AM

It was definitely a fun little section of the trail! I was surprised that I was able to keep going and it dropped back down.

Chris
Old 10-27-2005, 04:32 AM

Old 10-27-2005, 01:49 PM

Very nice pics. I would like to do that trail when I get some more body protection.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:41 PM

I'm been looking at that trail for a year and a half now trying to sike myself into running it. The Well's book predicts doom and gloom and sure fire body damamge, but looks like you made it through. Are you running sliders? Locked front or rear? It dosen't look like you have a modded front or rear end but that trail seems to be more of a rocker/rear side window eater, than a prob for the front or rear ends. Aslo, how far in are the chutes? I've hiked in from the trail head up past all the private property but never got to the rocks in the picks. Did you run it one way or was it an out and back? Sorry lots of questions here, but your the first 'runner I heard that has done it.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by COcajun
I'm been looking at that trail for a year and a half now trying to sike myself into running it. The Well's book predicts doom and gloom and sure fire body damamge, but looks like you made it through. Are you running sliders?
Yes, I'm running sliders and would recommend them for this trail.
Locked front or rear?
Locked in the rear only.
It dosen't look like you have a modded front or rear end but that trail seems to be more of a rocker/rear side window eater, than a prob for the front or rear ends.
I've got a partially finished rear bumper, a stock front bumper I don't care about at all, and it's going to tear up stock stuff if you follow a good spotter.
Aslo, how far in are the chutes? I've hiked in from the trail head up past all the private property but never got to the rocks in the picks. Did you run it one way or was it an out and back? Sorry lots of questions here, but your the first 'runner I heard that has done it.
The chutes are probably about 2/3 -3/4 of the way into the trail off the 14 side. If you come in the top, then it would be a short, easy trip to the chutes, but you'd turn around and go up the chutes rather than come down them.

I'm sure other 4runners have done this trail. I would consider it a moderate-difficult trail depending on equipment and driver skill. As you can see from the videos I hammered the throttle pretty hard with no damage, so the issue of the rear quarter panel and window really isn't an issue in my opinion.

I've got about 5" of total lift, and I was hitting my front tow hooks and lower valance on my front bumper pretty hard, so you can't be afraid to hammer down when needed. The off-camber is pretty serious, and a front locker would make the chutes a breeze, because I was getting plenty of traction on the rock face on the left side, but I had no power to that wheel, of course.

I'd definitely recommend the trail. It was a blast to play around on, especially on Heart Attack Hill, which really isn't that hard at all, but definitely fun to play on.

Chris
Old 10-28-2005, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the beta. I walked Heart Attack and wasn't worried about it (just make sure to keep momentum, Ive got a stick and the loose gravel would be a little difficult for starting back up if I were to stop). I'm still lacking the $$$ for sliders and am a little partial to my sides to get too crazy. You said "come in from the top". Where does the trail come out? Is it possible to opt out of the chutes. I know a good bit of the 14 side but didn't get to see where the other end was since I was on foot. My wife runs the Scout Camp up there and she's had wheelers try to come out on thier property before the FS put boulders at the trail junction. I walked about a mile or two on either side of the junction but didn't see the chutes or the section I'd hiked from 14.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by COcajun
Thanks for the beta. I walked Heart Attack and wasn't worried about it (just make sure to keep momentum, Ive got a stick and the loose gravel would be a little difficult for starting back up if I were to stop). I'm still lacking the $$$ for sliders and am a little partial to my sides to get too crazy. You said "come in from the top". Where does the trail come out? Is it possible to opt out of the chutes. I know a good bit of the 14 side but didn't get to see where the other end was since I was on foot. My wife runs the Scout Camp up there and she's had wheelers try to come out on thier property before the FS put boulders at the trail junction. I walked about a mile or two on either side of the junction but didn't see the chutes or the section I'd hiked from 14.
You can bypass heart attack hill and the chutes if you want. If you do that, this is an easy to moderate trail at best. No sliders required. You don't need sliders to run heart attack hill, but I'd recommend them for the chutes.

Chris
Old 01-13-2006, 04:51 PM

Dont really need alot for this trail. Took my truck on it with OME (about 2.5") and 265/75R16 BFG AT's, only thing bodywise not stock is the ARB front bumper. Had another taco on 32's (spindleshanks), and another tacoma with sagging springs is lower than stock and on 31's. All were locked in the rear. The chutes are optional and has a extremely simple bypass. I'm still getting used to side hills myself so heart attack was not a fav of mine and had someone with more experience drive. I'm working on that part.