Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Air conditioning question, proof of concept

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2023, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air conditioning question, proof of concept

Hey all, I've a generic AC question.

Summary is that there's no cold air, or is really super weekly cold, but the air compressor is a little bit noisy when I engage the AC button. It just doesn't sound smooth, it's not squealing, more of a vibration noise. Because of this noise, it tells me that the relays are working and a simple recharge in a can is not going to be sufficient.
This air conditioning unit happens to be on my 2008 4runner, V8, but I don't get a lot of play on those forums, and because it's a generic question about air conditioning, I figured all of your expertise would answer my question.

So the last time I used air conditioning on this truck would have been back in September of '22; when I turned it on last month there was no cold air, and the air compressor was kind of noisy.

I was about to just charge it following various YouTube tutorials, but I'm not going to because I believe it's the compressor.

In other Words, none of the YouTube tutorials about using a quick charge in a can had the symptom where the air compressor unit was noisy.

The fact that it's noisy is what's telling me that a simple recharge is not going to be enough.

I've checked the serpentine belt and it's tight, I have opened up the low pressure side air conditioning access port and did a quick test by releasing, yes the horror, of a little bit of refrigerant.

I can turn the air compressor clutch by hand but it's not freely spinning smooth, but I don't know if that is normal.
I've checked the relay
I've checked the high pressure sensor for continuity.

So I'm likely going to take it to a shop and have them confirm for me that it's not leaking. It's that they are compression. Unit is going bad but maybe some of you have other advice.

Thanks for reading
Old 06-26-2023, 07:11 AM

Received 827 Likes on 654 Posts
As you know, we (at least I) am going to advise you to skip the quick charge in a can.

Instead, save your eyesight (releasing refrigerant from the port has blinded more than one) and get some simple gauges. This is all you need: https://www.harborfreight.com/r134a-...set-58776.html Then you'll know the state of the refrigerant.

If you have low refrigerant you can try recharging it. I'd recommend getting either refrigerant with dye, or PAG oil with dye, in case you're looking for a leak. If your compressor needs replacement, and you have some refrigerant, you really have no choice but to get a shop to "recover" the refrigerant first.

Then, here's how I replaced mine: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-r134a-284801/
The following users liked this post:
Hairyberry (06-29-2023)