Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

AC Compressor Pulley won't line up

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC Compressor Pulley won't line up

Hey guys,
Maybe you can help. I was hooking up my AC when I realized that the pulley on my compressor didn't line up with the crank. When I bought the truck the bracket was already installed in the truck and I received a box of additional AC parts that the PO said went to this truck. That wasn't the case and I have been on a mission on and off for the last year trying to get everything put together. This truck didn't come from Toyota with AC, when I pulled the evaporator from under the dash it had a sticker from somewhere in Texas. Any chance anybody on here has run into anything like this during your builds? From the two pictures I attached it looks like the threaded holes on the left side where the compressor mounts are about a half inch farther towards the back then the compressor bracket I have installed in my truck. I would hate to buy this bracket to realize that it was just the angle of the picture that was throwing me off.
Let me know what you think,
Thanks
Ron
Old 05-16-2024, 06:47 PM
osv

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
it looks like the webbing between the two bottom holes is different; it's straighter across on the top photo??

do the numbers on the castings match?
Old 05-16-2024, 08:32 PM

I think you are right! I hadn't noticed that before but the bottom of the bracket in my truck definitely has a curve to it. I can't really see the casting #'s on the top picture and that is the best pic I have, although the top set of #'s looks different.
I have called around to a couple different places like Yota Jim's to see if they had any knowledge of different brackets causing belts not to line up and so far nobody has heard of it. I can't believe I am the first one to run into this but I can't think of any other reason the belt is 1/2 inch off.
I really appreciate the reply osv,
Thank you,
Ron
Old 05-17-2024, 07:07 AM
YT Community Team

Received 868 Likes on 615 Posts
Did you get a new compressor? or was an old one included with the truck?
there should be a sticker identifying the compressor, something like 10P15c. 10p15a, etc. which one do you have?
If you reply, make sure to give info on your vehicle.

Last edited by Jimkola; 05-17-2024 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:48 AM

Hey Jim,
The truck is a 1989 Toyota 4X4, 22RE 5 speed extended cab. The engine was rebuilt shortly before I bought the truck so I don't know what year the block is or where any of the parts were sourced.
The compressor bracket was already installed in the truck and I received a box of additional AC parts that the PO said went to this truck. That did include a new compressor but that compressor had the wrong setup for the manifold and only three of the four mounting bolts lined up to the bracket. This truck didn't come from Toyota with AC, when I pulled the evaporator from under the dash it had a sticker from somewhere in Texas. The sticker that was on the back of the compressor I have isn't there anymore.

This is an example of what my truck should look like from some research I have done online. I have the exact same compressor and manifold with the Hi/Low lines facing the front of the truck and peanut style fittings, the clutch looks the same here as what I have as well. The crank pulley is the same with the AC compressor belt running in between the other two belts. The electrical connection from the truck to the compressor even matches. I have three other compressors and was going to swap the clutch from one of the extra compressors that line up but they use different systems to keep the clutch from spinning on the shaft.
The reason I can't use the other compressor I have that lines up is because the Hi/Low lines come off of the compressor towards the passenger side of the truck and the resonator and air lines from the emission system sits on that side of the compressor.
Old 05-17-2024, 11:35 AM
YT Community Team

Received 868 Likes on 615 Posts
Here's my best guess.
I think you have a mismatch between the bracket and the compressor, which is why it's not lining up. There were 10p15c, and 10pa15c compressors, and I'm pretty sure the offset for the pulley was different.
I don't know how to identify one vs the other, though. If you could somehow identify what style compressor you have you should be able to source the right bracket.

The most likely reason why some of the AC parts have 'Texas" on them was your vehicle was sold new in one of the Gulf States. The Gulf States is a private distributer, only one of two still remaining(the other being Southeast). The other Regions(distributers) were under factory control and they only used factory accessories. But the private distributers would often source their own stuff to boost their profit margin. Never understood why on AC kits, though. Hard to find better kits than Denso, and the entire Denso AC kit for a Toyota was about $250. i mean that kit had everything you needed except the two cans of freon.

Last edited by Jimkola; 05-17-2024 at 02:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (05-17-2024)