Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

91 toyota pickup front left brakes sticking

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 toyota pickup front left brakes sticking

91 22re rwd

Issue is front driver side brake is sticking.

Long version full of foolishness :

Brakes required double pumping to activate for them to work. I replaced master cylinder and went to bleed the system and front left cylinder's bleed nipple actually broke(first time that has ever happened)! I bled the rest of the system and discovered the rear brakes were missing the tab for the star shapped adjuster which was causing the parking brake to not work. I ordered that and fixed it.

Had a spare front left caliper around and it was sticking but i drove it a bit trying to break it lose. It did not and it started smoking hot. Tried another rebuilt caliper and it is still sticking albeit much much less. Either the problem was there before the junk caliper or running my junk caliper hot caused the problem.

The pulling is only there during braking. I can literally drive without hands during acceleration.

So I have a few things that could possibly be wrong.

Brake lines(trying it tomorrow)
Caliper(unlikely)
Rotor (right side is actually worn a bit. Could that cause it to stick left)
Master cylinder
Weak passenger side

Any other options or experience? This rarely driven truck always gives me trouble.

Last edited by Woffar; 05-16-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:56 AM

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts
Change the brake line.

My left front on my 92 pickup started sticking a few months back to the point of causing a severe front end vibration. Bad caliper caused that. Rotor and brake pads were still fine even after they smoked a bit.

Last edited by snippits; 05-17-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:01 AM

Received 284 Likes on 212 Posts
It is always best to replace both front calipers at the same time to prevent a pull, but if you need to go cheap replace the left caliper and the rubber brake hose.
After it has been hanging up it probably warped the rotor, so you should replace both front rotors as well, start from scratch.
problems with your right side brakes will not cause the left side to stick...ever.
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 09:37 AM

Received 158 Likes on 101 Posts
Old brake hoses can collapse, especially after getting hot which doesn't allow fluid to flow back after you release the pedal. Change the hose.
The following 2 users liked this post by Paul22RE:
millball (05-19-2019), old87yota (05-17-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 02:35 PM

Update

Changed hose and still pulls left.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Woffar
91 22re rwd

"Issue is front driver side brake is sticking." "Had a spare front left caliper around and it was sticking." "it started smoking hot." "Tried another rebuilt caliper and it is still sticking" "running my junk caliper hot"

"The pulling is only there during braking."

So are you fighting a caliper that is sticking and getting super hot or are you fighting a pull when you hit the brakes? Or is it both?

Update

Changed hose and still pulls left.
Is the caliper still sticking?
Old 05-22-2019, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by akwheeler
So are you fighting a caliper that is sticking and getting super hot or are you fighting a pull when you hit the brakes? Or is it both?

Is the caliper still sticking?
You know I'm not sure that it is. I'm half way thinking the right side ain't braking so good which is causing it to pull left. I'm replacing the caliper and hose on the right side. Yeah I'm kinda just throwing money at it, but it's old anyways. Next thing is rotors.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:06 AM

You know I'm not sure that it is. I'm half way thinking the right side ain't braking so good which is causing it to pull left. I'm replacing the caliper and hose on the right side. Yeah I'm kinda just throwing money at it, but it's old anyways. Next thing is rotors.
This is why it is important to CLEARLY state your issue in your FIRST post. If you say "my caliper is sticking" we assume you have one brake dragging and getting hot.
If you say "I have a hard pull when I hit the brakes" it is a whole different story, the opposite side caliper is not grabbing as it should when you hit the pedal (you can get a pull from a rear brake but not as drastic).
If you have a pull to one side under braking and that side front brake is hot when you stop to check it doesn't necessarily mean the caliper is sticking, it means that brake is doing all the work.
To determine if you have a brake dragging you need to jack up the front (or rear) and rotate the wheels by hand to see if it is hard to spin one or the other.
When performing a brake job it is a VERY good idea to do BOTH sides at the same time in order to avoid a pull under braking.
It is also a VERY good idea to either resurface your brake rotors or replace them. If they wear down past their minimum thickness they will build more heat and warp easily.