Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Long cranking when warm?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Long cranking when warm - 2001 4Runner 5VZ-FE

I'm trying to figure out an issue that has been showing itself more & more over the last few months.

When first started in the morning, the truck will start as reliably as it's done for the last 17+ years and 419,300+ miles. But if I drive it for awhile, shut it off and then go to restart, it will crank far longer than normal. I've found that if I turn the key to Ignition On two or three times first, it will start correctly. Once running, it drives & behaves completely normal.

Some info that may or may not help:

- I replaced the original fuel pump & strainer in April at 404,000 miles. The truck refused to start one day so I took a chance that the original pump was finally done. I was unable to find a Toyota pump right away, so I installed a Car Quest brand pump from Advance Auto. The truck has started & run perfectly since.

- All three coils & fuel injectors are original.

- I replace plugs every 25k, and have replaced the plug wires twice.

- I've installed a new fuel filter at every 100,000-mile mark.

- Thinking the crank sensor may be involved, I purchased a new Toyota one the other day but have not installed.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I would welcome any thoughts or recommendations, as I've maintained the truck myself from new and feel like I know my way around it.

Andreas

Last edited by aowRS; 12-07-2018 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:51 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
Maybe check the behind the crank t-belt gear to insure that all the "tangs" are on the crank pickup that the crank sensor reads since you will have it out anyways. But I'm just shooting ideas out there.. All 3 of my 3rd Gen 4R's take more cranks than the average vehicle to start it seems, but its consistent..
Old 12-07-2018, 05:53 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Carquest fuel pump failing perhaps?

Electrically, all accessories working good?

I'd consider the starter in this, but you say it cranks fine when cold.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever had the injectors serviced or tested for resistance? Resistance will go up after they've warmed up, and if they're originals that is A LOT of mileage on them. I had the same lingering issue with my 3rz, i had two injectors that didn't throw codes but were testing high for resistance. Replaced them with some injectors from LC Engineering, a new cat, a/f sensor, had the valves adjusted by Toyota...a lot of work done all at the same time, so i wouldn't be able to narrow down the culprit. Every now and then it still does that long cranking, but when it does, it is one extra crank than normal.

Crank/cam sensor is a good place to test, maybe your MAF sensor should be cleaned/tested as well.

Clean out the throttle body/ IACV?
Old 12-18-2018, 08:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd venture to say that cheap fuel pump may be an issue. It's just a guess but you won't know until you put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what's it's doing.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by vasinvictor
I'd venture to say that cheap fuel pump may be an issue. It's just a guess but you won't know until you put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what's it's doing.
Drew,
I'd rather the fuel pump not be to blame, as that was one hell of a job. Should it become necessary, I do have a brand new Toyota pump in the box. I had already ordered it when I decided that I needed to get the truck running sooner and installed the Car Quest unit instead...

That said, I put 1,000 miles on the truck last weekend. Before leaving, I dumped another helping of Techron in the tank (as I do a few times a year). The long cranking times have disappeared. I've started the truck a few dozen times since last weekend and all traces of the issue are gone. Not sure if that's reason to celebrate just yet.

I discussed this issue at length with Dan (fierohink), and his thoughts are:

My personal theory is injectors, but that’s partly because I had injectors die 2 years ago, so your 2 year younger truck would be due now too. Injectors have a winding in them that can be compromised by the expansion from heat. Cold they would read within range on a meter, but hit they would develop an open circuit. Not all the time, but enough to cause a miss and hard starting. Like tapping on a lightbulb and getting it to work again. If it’s the injectors, and it could be coils too, depending on where on that internal circuit it is failing it might be staying open, which wouldn’t allow it to build fuel pressure, or sticking closed which may not be enough to keep it firing.
So for now I'll keep an eye on things. With the mileage on the truck, I have no issue installing new injectors or coils should that become necessary.

Andreas

Last edited by aowRS; 12-18-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:46 AM
Contributing Member

The issue came back a few weeks ago. Since I already had a new Toyota crank reference sensor on hand, I installed it last week. Engine start times are now back to normal, regardless of temperature...

FWIW, I checked the resistance of the old sensor when it was on my bench (cold). Then I warmed it a bit with my heat gun and the numbers went up dramatically.

Andreas

Last edited by aowRS; 01-14-2019 at 03:49 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:11 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Glad you found it. Intermittent heat soak issues are THE WORST to track down because it’s hard to reproduce the exact conditions.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fierohink
Glad you found it. Intermittent heat soak issues are THE WORST to track down because it’s hard to reproduce the exact conditions.
Thanks Dan. So the changing resistance values while bench testing it are a sign that the sensor was bad? If so, I’ll toss the old one.

Andreas
Old 01-15-2019, 10:58 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by aowRS

Thanks Dan. So the changing resistance values while bench testing it are a sign that the sensor was bad? If so, I’ll toss the old one.

Andreas
That sounds bad to me. The ECU probably did not like the signal it was getting.

Resistance naturally increases as heat increases, but your sensor was probably increasing in resistance much more than it is supposed to.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:00 AM

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Do you have a good link to share that goes over how to properly test the toyota cam and crank sensors? What values to look for under what conditions? Thanks in advance! I have an occasional long crank + engine stumbling to life when warm that I thought was the Idle Air Control Valve, since after cleaning it seemed to have gone away but that was temporary relief.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:33 AM
Contributing Member

Somewhat of an update: a few days ago I noticed a whining sound under the truck. This mornin I pulled the truck into the garage, left it running, and traced the sound to the gas tank....

So after one year and 25,000 miles, my FailQuest fuel pump from Advance Auto is whining loudly. As mentioned at the beginning of this thread, I have a brand new Toyota pump in my shop. While that’s a good thing, removing & reinstalling the fuel tank is an absolute PITA.

With a loud whining such as this, I assume I should drop the tank sooner than later? Does anyone know the Toyota part number for the fuel pump sock/strainer?

Andreas
The following users liked this post:
RAD4Runner (05-04-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 11:33 AM

I haven’t had a reason to pull all of the carpet out of mine truck, now the headliner that’s a different story, but is there an access panel for the fuel pump under the rear seat?
Old 05-05-2019, 12:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fierohink
I haven’t had a reason to pull all of the carpet out of mine truck, now the headliner that’s a different story, but is there an access panel for the fuel pump under the rear seat?
There is an access panel that allows you to detach a few electrical connectors. Why Toyota didn't see fit to design a removable panel above the fuel pump assembly boggles my mind. That said, I am weighing the pros & cons of creating my own...

Despite these headaches, I can't ignore the fact that I put 400,000 miles on the truck before the original pump gave up the ghost. That's pretty remarkable.

Andreas
Old 05-05-2019, 12:56 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Despite these headaches, I can't ignore the fact that I put 400,000 miles on the truck before the original pump gave up the ghost. That's pretty remarkable.
Cool! May we know if you had waring before the fuel pump quit , or did it just die all of a sudden?

Originally Posted by aowRS
... Why Toyota didn't see fit to design a removable panel above the fuel pump assembly boggles my mind...
Really? No acces panel on your 4Runners?
Yes, that's so backward because the first-gen MoreFunner has an access panel, unlike a pickup where you's have to drop the tank in order to replace the pump. It's under the carpet so I cut out an opening for the carpet.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Cool! May we know if you had waring before the fuel pump quit , or did it just die all of a sudden?

Really? No acces panel on your 4Runners?
Yes, that's so backward because the first-gen MoreFunner has an access panel, unlike a pickup where you's have to drop the tank in order to replace the pump. It's under the carpet so I cut out an opening for the carpet.
No warning. Just refused to start one day. Luckily about 15 miles from home. My gut told me it had to be the pump.

Andreas
RAD4Runner (05-05-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

With the chance of the truck dying from natural causes before this new Toyota fuel pump gives out (the first one lasted 400,000 miles), I opted against cutting an access hole in the floor. Instead, I spent a good part of yesterday repeating the joy I experienced one year ago (when the original pump failed and I installed a cheap-o FailQuest pump from Advance Auto), and removed the tank, installed the new Toyota pump, new Denso screen/filter, and new Denso tank gasket. Despite the fact that I had already done this murderous job once before, it was in no way easier the second time around. What. A. Pain.

Once the tank was back in place, the truck started right up. I've put about 100 miles on it since, with numerous warm restarts. It runs great and I haven't experienced the long crank times again that started this thread. Hmm....

Andreas

Last edited by aowRS; 05-09-2019 at 09:40 AM.
old87yota (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 09:48 AM

Looks good. Fingers crossed that is the ticket.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay a couple things. First off I have this problem. I believe I don’t have a crank position sensor but mine being a pickup coil in the dizzy. I’m guessing you can change yours out separately? I’m not sure where yours is located.

My question is. Did you ever have it not start on you at all when turning ign on/off a couple times didn’t work? and if so what did you do to solve that.

I have this issue now and I use starter fluid in any intake port and it will crank over.

What readings were you getting when checking?

thank you
Old 06-01-2019, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

^ No more long-cranking issues since installing the new Toyota fuel pump earlier in May. I’ve put a few thousand miles on it already. Good luck getting yours figured out.

Andreas

Quick Reply: Long cranking when warm?