86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Advice for replacing manual transmission on 1990 toyota pickup

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for replacing manual transmission on 1990 toyota pickup

I have a 1990 toyota pickup 5 speed 22r 2 wheel drive carburetor. The transmission a few weeks ago got stuck in 4th when I was coming off the high way. I've asked some people, and they're saying I need to replace the whole transmission, so I was wondering what would be the best option in my case. Should I just find a used one if available from a scrap yard, or have it rebuilt, or buy a new one? Also, I'm not very versed in big maintenance jobs like replacing an engine or transmission, so more than likely, I'd have to pay someone else to replace it, or possibly try to get together some more knowledgeable friends or family, and attempt to tackle it together, but I'm not sure if I have enough faith in them and myself to do a huge job such as this alone without professional help.

Anyways, if I were to find a used transmission from a scrap yard, what other year pickups could also fit into my 1990? This is the first time anything this major has happened to me vehicle wise, and I'm scared to death. I'm financially strapped, and don't know what to do. I'm borrowing a friend's car at the moment, but can't use it for too long. So any and all help is much appreciated. Thank you.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:20 AM

Anything?
Old 10-21-2018, 10:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm kind of curious to hear what the other experienced folks have to say. I have a 4 speed manual in my pickup and always wondered if I could swap it for a 5 speed and what that would entail. I'd like that extra gear on the highway but funds are tight right now so I have to hold off.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:34 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Psych Reaper
Anything?
so you gave it all of about 2.5 hours. It's a sunday, people are out doing crap with family, watching football etc
10-21-2018, 08:45 AM
10-21-2018, 11:20 AM

junkyard/used is gonna be a crap shoot. I have done several transmissions (broke them 4wheeling and I am cheap so I rolled the dice on used, sometimes they were fine but there was a couple of times I pulled it the next weekend end because the busted one was in better shape)
Do you have a transmission jack? with out one it is a PITA. that being said it's not that hard of a job, you need a bunch of extensions, jack stands etc.
might as well resurface the flywheel and put a clutch in there while you have it apart

What Did the local transmission shop have to say?

Marlin rebuilds them but they are 8 weeks out best case ($900 and you still get to install it)
https://www.marlincrawler.com/transm...mplete/w55-2wd

ebay has a used one for $450 w/ free shipping
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Manual-Transmission-4x2-4-Cyl-G-Series-Base-88-90-Toyota-Pickup-OEM/173587327870?fits=Year%3A1990%7CModel%3APickup%7CM ake%3AToyota&hash=item286a9c6b7e:g:OSgAAOSwzfNbwmv c
used $900 with a 6 month warranty
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Manual-Transmission-2WD-Cylinder-4-Speed-SR5-Fits-89-90-TOYOTA-PICKUP-9242356/352490162082?fits=Year%3A1990%7CModel%3APickup%7CM ake%3AToyota&hash=item52120d07a2:g:GyoAAOSwR2RbyS7 5
another one
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Transmission-MT-4x2-4-cylinder-5-speed-EFI-engine-TOYOTA-PICKUP-89-90-91/132620225214?fits=Year%3A1990%7CModel%3APickup%7CM ake%3AToyota&hash=item1ee0c80abe:g:e6sAAOSwbJla96F K
The following users liked this post:
Psych Reaper (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by cgeorge
I'm kind of curious to hear what the other experienced folks have to say. I have a 4 speed manual in my pickup and always wondered if I could swap it for a 5 speed and what that would entail. I'd like that extra gear on the highway but funds are tight right now so I have to hold off.
It's weird because I looked at the sticker on the driver's side of the truck to figure out which kind of transmission I'm supposed to have in it, and it says it's a G40 transmission. Whenever I look those up, all I get is 4 speeds, but my trucks a 5 speed. I'm wondering if the guy that had it before me might've changed out transmissions already. I just thought that they come with 5 speeds, but it may have not, or I just have no idea what I'm talking about. That could be the case as well lol. This was my first manual transmission, and my second vehicle ever. I bought it in 2015. I rarely get into 5th though, unless I'm hitting the interstate, then occasionally it winds up enough to get into 5th.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by dropzone
so you gave it all of about 2.5 hours. It's a sunday, people are out doing crap with family, watching football etc
10-21-2018, 08:45 AM
10-21-2018, 11:20 AM

junkyard/used is gonna be a crap shoot. I have done several transmissions (broke them 4wheeling and I am cheap so I rolled the dice on used, sometimes they were fine but there was a couple of times I pulled it the next weekend end because the busted one was in better shape)
Do you have a transmission jack? with out one it is a PITA. that being said it's not that hard of a job, you need a bunch of extensions, jack stands etc.
might as well resurface the flywheel and put a clutch in there while you have it apart

What Did the local transmission shop have to say?

Marlin rebuilds them but they are 8 weeks out best case ($900 and you still get to install it)
https://www.marlincrawler.com/transm...mplete/w55-2wd

ebay has a used one for $450 w/ free shipping
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Manual-Tran...gAAOSwzfNbwmvc
used $900 with a 6 month warranty
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Manual-Tran...oAAOSwR2RbyS75
another one
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Transmissio...sAAOSwbJla96FK

Thank you man. I know, I was just stressing a lot earlier because I couldn't find any information on this damn thing. I spent around 4 hours researching, and going out to the truck trying to figure out what kind of transmission I had, and today was the only day I had any time to actually spend time trying to figure out about what to do with this truck.

I don't have a transmission jack, but I'll look into getting one if it's a must need. I don't want to mess anything up more than it already is. I'm getting mixed messages from different people, but I've yet to be able to talk to a transmission shop. I'm kind of scared to go up there cause I don't want them telling me they have to rebuild it, and try to get me to spend over a grand when it could be something as simple as a "slave cylinder" I don't even know where that's located, yet alone even knew it existed until someone suggested it on another forum. I don't wanna get screwed over is all because I've no idea about transmissions. Thank you very much though for the links and information. I'll update you later in the week once I go up to the shop and ask them what their opinion is on it.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't know if the following still holds true but . . .

The first Toyota I had was an 86 4x with a 5 speed. The tranny became hard to shift and time required that it had to be rebuilt in a shop. They said and others did too that Toyota trannys have a 150k mile life expectancy. Same essentially happened with a Corolla I have. I didn't have my current 84 at the 150 mark. If I recall it was something to do with shift rails - but I can't swear to that.

I would find a good trans shop if you have one locally and have them go through it.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:06 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
It does sound like the transmission was previously swapped with a 5 speed. The G40 that came with your truck is in deed a 4 speed. The rear axle will be a 8in with 3.07 gear. This is why you rarely use the 5th gear. The rear end is designed around using a 4 speed transmission. In my opinion it is much easier to remove the engine and transmission as one then separate them outside the truck. FYI the 5 speed is an inch or 2 longer than the 4 speed and makes it pita to remove the transmission by itself. Rent an engine hoist and engine balance tool and pull it as one. Its really not hard to do just takes a little time.

Was the transmission making any noises before it got stuck in gear?

As for the course of action on a new transmission I would personally talk to marlin crawler. They are the best in the business when it comes to Toyota truck transmissions. Anything you buy used is a crap shoot, there is no way to test out of the truck to verify if its any good. Where are you located? I have rebuilt the transmission in my dads 89 2wd and it works great. If you were some what close I could rebuild it for you.
You could all so remove the transmission then drive it around to different shops and see if anyone wants to work on it.

For those wondering what it takes to swap from the 4 speed to the 5 speed you will need:
5 speed transmission
Depending on what 5 speed you get you will need a different length speed sensor cable (if mechanical speedo)
On the truck I did the conversion on we used a w58, the speedo cable location was opposite of the G40 so we needed a longer cable.
The back up light switch used a different plug and was all so on the opposite side of the transmission as the G40.
The most important part is the bracket that the transmission mount bolts to is different between the G40 and W58. The W58 was longer.
We reused the stock drive shaft with no problems.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:50 AM

Received 117 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
They said and others did too that Toyota trannys have a 150k mile life expectancy.
20 years without a speedo, but I am way past the 500K mile mark. It's just fine. I am not easy on power.

Easies way to swap is to enter the cab with a engine hoist, and lower the trany with tcase to the floor. With 31s it will slide right out from under the truck
Old 10-23-2018, 12:34 PM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
The 2wd transmissions are kind of a pain in the ass to drop because there is a crossmember that the trans mount bolts to that is not removable. You have to remove the mount and the bracket from the crossmember and then slide the trans back and drop it down to clear the firewall at the same time. Once you have enough room to clear the bellhousing from the clutch, you have to angle the trans to the passenger side to slide it out. Reinstalling is even harder (especially on your back, in a garage or driveway) because your now fighting gravity to get the trans in at the right angle. Would be really easy if it wasnt for that crossmember which is why I will be making my crossmember removable when I do my engine swap next spring.

As for the original question, I would roll the dice on a used one from a local junk yard with a warranty. Or you could try car-part.com and see if they have one for sale. And while your at it, do a new clutch and resurface the flywheel

Last edited by Robert m; 10-23-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
" I've asked some people, and they're saying I need to replace the whole transmission, ..."

Who?
What do you mean stuck?
You need to have it checked by an honest experienced mechanic. There might not be anything wrong with the transmission. May be just the shift linkage from the internals to the knob in your right hand, or the clutch release.