Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

86 22r pickup struggling when idling, shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 22r pickup struggling when idling, shuts off

Hi. I'm new here obviously. This is probably an annoying question, and I did do a few searches on this before asking, but there are so many answers, I'd love to see all the options AGAIN here at once.
I just got this 86 pickup, automatic. It shut off at/approaching a red light twice, right before that I could feel it struggling. Its happened when it was cold and hot.
I should say I am a mega newb and have only done easy things like bleeding brakes and oil changes before this...soo bear with me.
Thank you!
Old 04-21-2018, 07:29 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Ok welcome.

You said it struggled only twice? Will it not run now? Will it run fine while under power and then struggle when idles down?

Have you changed the fuel filter? Have you given it a tuneup, (air filter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor). Checked timing? How many miles on the motor/rig? Was this a brand new thing after it had been perfect? Has it been "good enough" that you don't need to mess with it but now had a big thing so its fix it time? Whats you mechanical ability.

With these older trucks its often just a wiring issue and the wires get brittle at this age. Having a multimeter for help is a good thing.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The automatic transmission trucks did have a dashpot on the carburetor for speed control. I don't have a lot of details as my truck was a manual transmission. It is something to look at.

If you have the FSM (factory service manual), you can look under the fuel system for the functionality of that part. It is not likely that an aftermarket repair manual like Chilton or Hayes would have detail info on it.

There's a separate idle-up control for engines that have A/C. It is controlled by vacuum, so don't confuse the two.

Last edited by slow-mo; 04-25-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thefishguy77
Ok welcome.

You said it struggled only twice? Will it not run now? Will it run fine while under power and then struggle when idles down?

Have you changed the fuel filter? Have you given it a tuneup, (air filter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor). Checked timing? How many miles on the motor/rig? Was this a brand new thing after it had been perfect? Has it been "good enough" that you don't need to mess with it but now had a big thing so its fix it time? Whats you mechanical ability.

With these older trucks its often just a wiring issue and the wires get brittle at this age. Having a multimeter for help is a good thing.
Hi,
yes I have changed the fuel filter. Actually found two fuel filters (one by the tank and one by the carb). I have given it a tune up (filter, wires, new battery, distributor, plugs). Also most recently had to clean out my gas tank. truck died on the highway as if i ran out of gas, turns out fuel was full of crap. had to drop the bed, pull the tank etc etc clean that, clean the gas lines. thats how i discovered I had a fuel filter by the tank (i guess *thats* the original one? and one by the carb as added?). ALSO did a carb rebuild (have the original Ainsin).
I have checked for vacuum leaks in the past and it seems fine. The issue still remains. To reiterate: car starts great when cold. Runs good around town until it gets warm and I get into highway speeds. Literally first time I had this issue was a day or two after buying it and never having driven it fast enough (I suppose?) for this to happen. I got off at an exit, pulled to a stop, it rattled and shook and died. Thats what keeps happening. I have managed to learn this peculiarity and work with it....Its an automatic, Putting it in park as soon as possible and then quickly giving it some gas usually significantly evens it out, either to complete normal idle or just to something less shaky. Sometimes it will even itself out if I wont do anything, however it also just as often will die. Starts back up very easy and without any issues. Also, it *seems* like breaking gently (say I was doing 50 and then getting into more busy area, pulling up behind cars to a stop sign) and slowly so that it has time to even out before coming to a full stop also helps. I know this probably doesnt make any sense but ugh tryin my best. For a while I got it in my head that it had everything to do with me breaking... or it going in low gear? jeez, I dont know anymore. Ive also changed the idle screws a bit here and there and I know this one isnt as easy as that but that also didnt help.

last mechanic guy I talked to suggested maybe its getting too much fuel in low gear? does that make sense? Im new to this so it sort of makes sense but also mostly doesnt. Im not majorly mechanically inclined so normally i cant envision this problem as he says it, i just have to do exactly what the book/forum/youtube tells me and move on. im sorry if this is totally not useful. Its very daunting for me and I am thinking of giving up and selling it, but I dont even know who would buy it if its dying after driving "kinda" fast.
other suggestions I remember hearing...egr valve? check timing? I havent gotten to that yet cause like I said im new and everything takes me a minute.
and on this note..WHERE can i find a good picture/diagram of all the vacuum lines? Something I didnt know is possible is that vacuum lines could be incorrectly connected? Ive tried to compare mine to my friends exact same truck (86 22r) and some didnt match up and both of us have different issues so hard to say whats right. There has always been a random vacuum line coming out of, I believe, the intake manifold and going into nowhere. It just had a crappy tape job all over it with a small plug. I pulled it all off while the engine was running and of course it really spazzed out and died right away. I decided to just make a better plug/tape job (HA) and live with it. That was a few days after I purchased the truck...could it be related? In any case, thats how I got into this possible incorrectly connected vacuum line solution? Is there a good resource for vacuum line setup on these? Like one where I can track each and one of the lines? I have seen a few diagrams but non of them are conclusive.

I hope this is better explained and not worse. I really appreciate any any help. Really love this truck and love to work on it and learn and little wins are really helpin me feel pretty good in this very dude centric world, would love to figure this out.
thanks again

Last edited by sonyasofia; 04-04-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:32 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
https://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/...900c1528004d60
Its a good start. I think they have a free trial or a one day at a time small fee and you can just download everything you can find about your rig on their site for that sort of stuff.

Also you should have a vacuum diagram under you hood. Keep an eye out for the FSM (factory service manual). Ebay has them from time to time. Probably the best resource for your rig out there.
Keep fighting the problem. It will get solved.