Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Take a look at my leaf springs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take a look at my leaf springs.

So my ride is a bucking Bronco in my 82, I know they are rough but my front leafs are flat! Rears have some arch.

he front pass side almost looks worse than flat near front shackle doesn't it?
what do you guys think about them? And what should I expect with new shocks?

Last edited by 95yoda; 08-15-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:19 PM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Fronts are always flat.

New shocks are a good idea.

If it's crooked it's worth looking into, but the fronts come from the factory flat, and often have a bit of reverse arch by the time they're this old.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:16 PM

Oh, well that shows how much I know. Yeah the shocks look absolutely beat and super old.
I ordered belts, hoses, shocks, some gaskets and some seals.
so also ordered some GL4 specific gear lube for the transmission and will do new coolant obviously.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:13 PM

Received 664 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by 95yoda
... or could they be damaged due to flat leafs?
what do you guys think about them? And what should I expect with new shocks?
The rears look good so new shocks would help smoothen the ride. However, shocks made for stock height in front may get compressed past their limit because of the flat springs, and I don't think that's good. I would fix the flat springs first, when they're back to stock height, them select the correct shocks for that, considering shock travel limits vs suspension travel.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:22 PM

I already ordered stock height shocks dang it. They are only 19 bucks for each front and 27 each rear on rock. Plus there's a 30.00 rebate for Monroe!

what are good options for springs? What about adding a helper spring?
Old 01-31-2018, 07:33 PM

I already ordered stock height shocks dang it. They are only 19 bucks for each front and 27 each rear on rock. Plus there's a 30.00 rebate for Monroe!

A few of us installed helper coil springs on the rear end aka Zuk Mod, but only OK for rears.
Best if you want stock height would be to buy OEM shock or equivalent but not sure if those still exist. I'm also considering re-arching the original leafs, but am happy enough with my Zuk's that that takes a back seat to my more urgent reliability and safety projects.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:46 PM

"83" said fronts are always flat. I will have to see how the new shocks mount up. Hopefully we'll.

This truck probably won't see over 2k miles a year. Tops.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:05 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts

I would think stock length shocks would be just fine.

The factory suspension is set up to have the axle hit the bump stops before damage occurs, which should be before the shocks themselves bottom out.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota
:The factory suspension is set up to have the axle hit the bump stops before damage occurs, which should be before the shocks themselves bottom out.
Oh yeah. Makes sense, but still worth trying to get those leafs back to stock height. FSM should have measurement specs.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:18 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
FYI: When I took my "new" '83 into my favorite local suspension shop, I complained about the stiff, bumpy ride. They said I had a lift of about 2" on the truck, but recommended new shocks, AND some rework of the front springs to improve the ride a bit. They "trimmed" the ends of each front spring leaf and then re-arched the front springs. All this seemed to make a slight difference and the ride IS a bit better. However, I'm beginning to think that most of the harsh ride may be due to the new spring set that provided the 2" lift to the truck. Whatever. At this time I'm not making any more changes to the suspension.

The shop is "The Spring Works" here in Grand Junction, CO and they have many years experience with Toyotas and modified/off-road suspensions. Really a great place.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:28 AM

Received 284 Likes on 212 Posts
#1 stock shocks will be fine, bumpstops are designed to protect from over-travel.
#2 your truck will always ride rough, Toyota trucks were not known for a plush ride, light truck very little suspension travel (look at the front bump stops) and leaf springs....
#3 check the structural integrity of your frame especially around the rear spring mounts they tend to rust out there and I've seen these trucks fold in half.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:33 AM

Thank you for your reply.

Anyone know were the drivetrains painted yellow on some of these trucks? Or is mine yellow from a PO? Looks kind of orig.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:04 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Hard to say what the coloring is under your truck...

It is interesting to see the rust, though. My 83, originally a Colorado truck then moved to Montana, had much worse body rust. Cab was great, but the bed and especially tailgate were getting rusty. But my undercarriage was pristine, compared to yours. I'd keep a close eye on it. If the whole truck were rust it wouldn't really be a concern, but with the condition the rest of the truck is in...

It could always be wrong, but the conventional wisdom around here is that the fronts are flat. This question comes up around here every now and then. Just slightly more often than "does my truck have a lift?" and everybody posts photos of their brand new first gen showing how no, that's just how high they sit. I remember someone posting an old photo of a truck, basically brand new, and the front springs were flat.

Mine were flat and I replaced the front shocks without any issues. And yeah, these trucks ride like tanks. One of the reasons I tell people that unless they're going to do hard core rock crawling, IFS is really way better than a solid front axle.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:09 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Anyone know were the drivetrains painted yellow on some of these trucks? Or is mine yellow from a PO? Looks kind of orig.
Your yellow drivetrain is the first I have ever seen. A local old Land Cruiser has some of the drivetrain painted white, but it looks like the owner painted it.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:36 AM

There is rust for sure all over a lot of the underside but the flash from the camera sure makes it look worse. I've stabbed it all over with a screw driver and it's good though.
I will be hitting it all with a wire wheel on the angle grinder between now and spring but really getting at it this spring when it's warmer.
I'm thinking knocking what I can off then reformer all over and fluid film on top. I will also see about removing the bed to better do the job.
I have read top coating it just seals in rust. Spraying oil works so fluid film is basically just that.
I use it on my other 3 vehicles with great success.
my tundra is now 2 years old and I used fluid film the day I drove it home and it's pristine underneath. Glossy black wet look.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a full set of Old Man EMU springs for my truck. I think they now offer a stock height option...when I got mine I could only get as little as 2" lift (I didn't want it lifted at all). I haven't been out driving mine yet but look forward to seeing how it rides come spring.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:52 PM

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by medicmoose
I got a full set of Old Man EMU springs for my truck. I think they now offer a stock height option...when I got mine I could only get as little as 2" lift (I didn't want it lifted at all). I haven't been out driving mine yet but look forward to seeing how it rides come spring.
I also bought the Old Man EMU for the front and back, I'm just starting to tear my truck down but I've researched and these are as close to stock as you can get for ride.
Don't want to hijack this thread but can anyone tell me the diameter on the rear leaf spring locating pin? My old ones are .550 dia and the new ones are the same, "but" the holes in my rear axle pads where the leaf spring mounts are .625 diameter and a bit beat up. Is that the way it should be?
Old 02-14-2018, 04:51 AM

Dontvworry about hijacking. Info is info. anything is good.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by medicmoose
I got a full set of Old Man EMU springs for my truck. I think they now offer a stock height option.......
Originally Posted by NYHumpinUtah
I also bought the Old Man EMU for the front and back, ..
Guys, since you say you got OME's and we all could use more info, mind sharing which ones you got, for those of us who want NO or minimal lift?
Old 02-14-2018, 09:18 AM

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts
Well, mine are 2" lift
CS008FA/B for the front
CS009R for the rear
Trail Gear 5-1/2 greseable shackles all around
Should get about a 3" lift I can adjust the shackle lengths to get it where I want it. Looking to put 33s on it, we'll see how that looks
Started my tear down last week, and of course it snowed!!!!

Quick Reply: Take a look at my leaf springs.