Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Airsoft BBs for balance

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 06:50 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Airsoft BBs for balance

I’ve seen traffic on other post asking about using them to balance tires. Haven’t seen a thread on it so thought i’d Post up my experience as i’ve Been running them for almost 3yrs without problem.

I’ve know guys that have paid for ceramic beads a complained they didn’t work and many installers look at you like your crazy and won’t let you use airsoft BBs on your tires they’re mounting. I’ve liked having them and prefer them to ounces of weight mounted to the rim. I’m running 35/12.5/15 BFG KM2s. Beside hearing the beads rolling around when I spin a tire when lifted.

i used the weight chart from dynabeads http://innovativebalancing.com/mobil...spec.php?4x4=1 added an ounce for good measure, so 9 ounces. If I was running a heavier tire i’d add additional weight. Guys i’ve talked to that hated the set up usually ran less weigh with heavy tires like swampers. I drive 65-70mph on the interstate without issue.

Make sure when you buy the beads not to get biodegradable BBs. I used the vegetable scale in produce section of Wal-Mart to figure out how many container of BBs to purchase; could strange looks. I think the best thing about this set up is balance is maintained through the life of the tire and if fire gets chunked off-roading.

I hope this info helps clear up a bit of mystic about the set up. Yes, I will run them on next set of tires but will look at buying bulk rather than at Walmart.

Last edited by muddpigg; 11-18-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:52 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
I have been curious on how the beads actually balance the tire.

How do they find the spot that the weight is needed most when the wheel is spinning?

Old 11-18-2017, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota
I have been curious on how the beads actually balance the tire.

How do they find the spot that the weight is needed most when the wheel is spinning?

My understanding is as the heavy spot in the tire causes vibrations/oscillations ineria pushes the beads opposite to the heavy spot. So on a perfectly balanced tire centrifugal force would simply push beads against the tire wall. So for them to work they have to be mounted onto a vehicle; thus the concept can not be proven on a tire balancing machine.

Some pro’s:
-tire stays balanced through life of tire
-compensates for chunking, rock/mud in tread
-no rim mounted weights to be knocked off

con’s:
-takes a second for beads to get to speed and find where they need to be
-tire store place will lock at you like a wack-a-doodle for suggesting such an idea. Much more so if you show up with BBs pre-measure out in sandwich baggys
Old 11-18-2017, 11:20 PM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by muddpigg

con’s:
-takes a second for beads to get to speed and find where they need to be
I don't have beads inside my 4R tires, but I wanted to do it, the reason I didn't do it because you need to reach certain speed for the beads to find their position to start balance the tire, 30mph if I remember correctly, below that you drive with unbalanced tires.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by SomedayJ
I don't have beads inside my 4R tires, but I wanted to do it, the reason I didn't do it because you need to reach certain speed for the beads to find their position to start balance the tire, 30mph if I remember correctly, below that you drive with unbalanced tires.
Not been something i’ve notice. Between to town I live in and where I work lots of speeds ranging from 15-35mph. No irregular wear pattern on tires to indicate unbalance condition.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:08 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
It is worth noting this only solves radial imbalances (up down), it is possible to have side imbalance still (steering wheel shakes).
Old 11-19-2017, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
It is worth noting this only solves radial imbalances (up down), it is possible to have side imbalance still (steering wheel shakes).
My understanding of lateral balance is related to “lateral tread profile runout” so like the tread surface is a bit caddy wompus in place along the tire. I don’t think dynamic balancing would truly fix this as it is a manufacture process that caused it. I may be very wrong though as physics is not a strong point for me.

I can say that this is not a problem i’ve experienced on any of the tires i’ve run and not a problem in tires i’ve got BBs in. As a side note I do not run a steering stabilizer.