Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Wheel swap Taco to Tundy

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel swap Taco to Tundy

First time poster, long time lurker.

I have owned a 2004 Tacoma TRD ext cab since 2011, great little struck. It has the OEM five point star 16" alloy wheels. These have an offset of 15mm. Currently, I have some firestone ATs on them that I scored which are 245/75. Stock is 265/70. When I got winters for it in 2011 they gave me 245/75 Toyos on steel wheels. I bought them at the dealership and didn't know much, just asked for winters and got what I got. It had 265/70s on my summers at the time, I assume they just gave me the narrower tires because they're better in snow. My rough measurement tells me the steel winters have more offset and put the tires in a little closer to center so a narrower stance. I never noticed till yesterday. Is there a reason they would have given wheels with a different offset or do you figure it's just because that's what they had and half an inch is no big deal?

So I bought a 2002 Tundra, TRD. I'm told it has a lift and it sits pretty high, it might have a small lift. It has 16" eagle alloy offroad rims but the black powder coat is flaking away and the edges are corroded. Plus they have low end motomaster tires on them (265/70).

My understanding is that the stock wheels would have been the same as the stock wheels on the taco so I figured.. Hey, I'll keep my taco wheels and put the Eagles on the Taco and sell it. So I swapped the winters onto the Tundra and put the Eagles on the Taco.

That't when things got weird. The winters look hilarious on the Tundra because they sit so far in under the truck, the Eagles look bad ass on the taco because they stick further out. My rough measurement tells me the Eagles have offset to put the wheels slightly further out than the stock rims. Before I started this I didn't even consider that the rims might have different offset values, but now I see they are all different!

To summarize. I have three sets of wheels:

1) OEM 16" alloy for 2000-2004 toyota truck, 15 mm offset. 245/75 Firestone AT tires with Load E rating (good tires)

2) Steel winters wheels 16" with 245/75 Toyo winter tires, excellent condition which appear to have more positive offset than stock (perhaps 1/2", so maybe 30mm?)

3) 16" Eagle alloys wheels with good condition but lower quality motomaster AT 265/70 tires and possibly zero or negative offset.

Which wheels should I keep? If those steel rims are fine on the taco they should be on the tundra, right? It's the visual difference is throwing me for a loop. The OEM alloys are probably much better quality than the Eagles, but maybe the slightly wider stance is better for the bigger higher truck and I should keep them?

What are your thoughts?

For reference I don't do a lot of serious off-roading, but I like to take my truck into the bush and on old mining roads from time to time. It's mostly a vehicle for getting around town, moving big stuff, driving to the trailhead and camping. I put 14,000 miles on the Taco from 2011-2017 (6 years) so you see how much mileage. My partner has a CUV all wheel drive vehicle that makes the serious trips, but it is possible we'll use the tundra a little more than the Taco since it is a bit more versatile with the actual usable back seat and the fact it's automatic which she can drive (she refused to learn stick so never drove the tacoma).

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Wheel swap Taco to Tundy-img_1271.jpg   Wheel swap Taco to Tundy-img_1273.jpg   Wheel swap Taco to Tundy-img_1275.jpg   Wheel swap Taco to Tundy-img_1276.jpg  
Old 11-20-2017, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An additional question.... My understanding is that the original TRD wheels are forged (these ones) and the american eagle (eagle alloys) are cast. That would make the toyota wheels superior, but is that going to make a difference long term and it the offset more of an advantage? Thanks