86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Joe's 1987 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 07:12 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I've heard of that issue before, using non-oem bolts on the bellhousing plate. Never dealt with that one, but I imagine it would be a horrible loud scrapping noise. Probably constant rather than intermittent like valve chatter. I'm just guessing, though.

​​​Post some videos of the noise to YouTube and a link them on here.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:39 PM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Okay all, I started a thread for the Corona:
Joe's 1969 Corona
Thanks for the support!!
Old 10-02-2017, 07:21 PM

Received 575 Likes on 453 Posts
Originally Posted by ladybugRC
Okay all, I started a thread for the Corona:
Joe's 1969 Corona
Thanks for the support!!
Subscribed!
Old 10-04-2017, 02:35 AM

This warm fall weather can not be beat! I've had the top off for days and I'm loving it. The kids are too!

Old 10-05-2017, 10:38 AM

Alright everyone, let me know if I'm just being paranoid or what with these valves.
Thanks in advance!

Old 10-05-2017, 11:01 AM

I don't think it sounds bad. Besides the sound at idle, is there any particular reason you're worried? Like a sudden hit to mpg or noticeably less power.

There's maybe a little bit of a sharper tap/knock overtone that I don't love the sound of, but it could be my tiny phone speaker making it seem that way. I don't think the 22re is a great-sounding engine to begin with. Mine sounds ok for what it is, but it's still a big sewing machine infested by 4 angry Japanese squirrels.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by gsp4life
There's maybe a little bit of a sharper tap/knock overtone that I don't love the sound of.
It's not your phone/speaker- that's what is bugging me- like one is just too far out of spec and tapping away.

No reason for concern other than it's just kind of making me crazy listening to that.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:22 PM

Check the valve clearance yet?

I don't remember if you rebuilt your engine or bought a rebuilt one. Either way, did you reuse the old valve adjuster screws?
Old 10-05-2017, 01:18 PM

I had a long block built from the original motor. The head was replaced because of a crack. With my limited experience I wanted to make sure it was done right. This is from their website:

Our Remanufactured Engines Include:

The block is taken down to the bare casting. We clean, deck, bore & hone it, it gets new freeze plugs and cam bearings. We turn the crank and resize the rods. It gets pistons & pins, rings, rod and main bearings, cam, lifters, timing components, oil pump & gaskets.

We go thru the heads completely, resurface the heads, we use a 3 angle cut on the seats, reseat the valves, knurl the guides, new valve stem seals. All new gaskets for the engine are included. (Some things are done a bit differently for different engines.ie: some don't take cam bearings, etc.)

I guess they might have reused the set screws and some of those smaller components...

I've checked and adjusted the valve clearance a couple of times now.

Last edited by ladybugRC; 10-05-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:46 PM

Doesn't specify what they did to the rocker assembly, so who knows? I almost dropped my rocker assembly right back in but on a whim I dismantled it to check things out. The rocker shafts were gouged, partially blocked through the oil passages and worn down to the point that caused excessive movement of the aluminum arms, which were in great shape. Also, my adjusters were worn down with flat spots making adjustments difficult.

​​​​I'd check the bottom of the adjuster screws before anything else just because it's a common problem and easy to remove them.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:22 PM

Received 666 Likes on 457 Posts
Doesn't sound bad... just higher idle than mine.
Here's mine for comparison.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 10-06-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:46 AM

Well, that certainly makes me feel better- sounds just like mine!
I think I just honed in on that ticking and my imagination started to run away...
The motor is running great. It was still not up to temp when I took the video- so the idle was a little high because I now have a functioning IACV.
Next time I'm in there I'll check out the rocker assembly, specifically those adjuster screws.
Thank you guys for letting me work through this. Now I can go back to being irritated at my vibration in the rear end. I need to order those axle shims...
Old 10-06-2017, 07:23 AM

...I think I just honed in on that ticking and my imagination started to run away...
Yes, Joe, that annoying ticking. I've put 55k miles on engine since it was rebuilt and the front valve cover half-moon seal is leaking, so I plan to check valve clearance and fix the leak soon.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey man, been following your build and have to say I am really impressed. I rebuilt a 22re 1986 Toyota Pickup and I was in the same boat chasing all those noises. I pulled out a stethoscope listened to everything. I later discovered that that crisp click was the sound of my rebuilt injectors. Just a suggestion if the noise is still bugging you.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:26 AM

Ugh, another problem

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Yes, Joe, that annoying ticking. I've put 55k miles on engine since it was rebuilt and the front valve cover half-moon seal is leaking, so I plan to check valve clearance and fix the leak soon.
Very annoying, yes.

On a side note: if you haven't already purchased those half-moon seals check out these aluminum ones that 22re performance makes: https://22reperformance.com/22re-gas...num-half-moons You're likely aware of them, I used them on my motor, installed with some FIPG.

Originally Posted by bhilln
Hey man, been following your build and have to say I am really impressed. I rebuilt a 22re 1986 Toyota Pickup and I was in the same boat chasing all those noises. I pulled out a stethoscope listened to everything. I later discovered that that crisp click was the sound of my rebuilt injectors. Just a suggestion if the noise is still bugging you.
Thanks, I will certainly check it out.

I've put the valve noise on the back burner as I am now faced with a much bigger problem. Doing some work out in Tennessee for a friend last week I made a right turn onto another highway, shifted in to second gear and a loud grinding clunk ensued. No second gear. No first gear. Just total slop in both of those gears. By sheer coincidence I was about a mile from the shop that rebuilt the transmission for me. I got it going in third, ran a couple stop signs and made it to the shop. Since it's been a year and a half the warranty on the parts is out, but the shop owner said if it turns out to be anything they did I'll not be charged any labor. However, I did bring him the transmission out of the truck. He said I could save myself about $300-$400 bucks by pulling the transmission myself. Luckily we have AAA and I had it towed back to Boone. It's already sat for a week and I've not touched it. So dang busy.
Ugh.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
That sucks man hopefully it all works out fo you. Best of luck
Old 10-31-2017, 07:48 AM

...half-moon seals check out these aluminum ones that 22re performance makes...
... shifted in to second gear and a loud grinding clunk ensued. No second gear. No first gear. ....
Thanks, Joe. Yes, looking at those aluminum half-moons, too. Thanks.
Re transmission, wishing you luck on that. Mine acted up when I got to Dallas from So Cal last Christmas. Had it rebuilt there and, crossing fingers, so far it's been working smoothly.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:25 PM

Received 204 Likes on 144 Posts
Joe, always something isn't it? At least the tranny shop sounds like they stand behind their work.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:56 PM

Three weeks later...

...it's out.
Whew!

Dang that's a pain in the butt.

Monday it's off to the shop.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:27 AM

TICK... TOCK...

Still no transmission...
This sucks.

I did receive my axle shims from 4Crawler. At least I'll be able to get a little something done here soon.

Happy Holidays to you all!

Quick Reply: Joe's 1987 4Runner