86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Doomys 87 Turbo 4runner Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 06:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 469 Likes on 313 Posts
What? Doomy was laughing at me specifically??

She does need to post more.....take some credit woman, you earned it.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:31 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
More work tonight. Got the power steering bolted in place. And the exhaust side is mostly finished except for tightening some nuts and bolts. I had the whole fam damnly out in the shop with me. And it started to rain, so I packed it in after an hour.

the main thing I'm proud of is..........Co, I proved you wrong! I got the downpipe in from underneath the back side.(giggity!) But seriously, unbolt the ear off the trans that holds the dipstick rigid, unbolt the sway bar, and you have tons of room to slide it in. (Is it just me or was that whole sentence one innuendo?)

anyways, on to the pics!

the little wanted to help me with the exhaust.

All my available extensions to get the 2 bolts out for the ear on the trans.

Little helping bolt the PS pump down.

Bigger helping bolt the PS pump down. She is afraid of the ladder.

Where I left her for the night.

My work space. Doomy approves.

My work bench.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

Giggity!
Old 02-03-2017, 02:19 AM

More work tonight!

Got the nuts on the down pipe. Got the intake fit on. And got the injector harness wired. That's probably one of my worst fears that I did it wrong. Only time will tell. Critique me and give me advice.

I still have no idea where the blue spade clip goes. I took another pic. Please help.

The previous owners repair. Wires weren't heat shrinked or taped.

My repair. The heat shrink I originally used was too big and left a little open space. I redid it with a smaller diameter black shrink and it sucked up nice and tight.

I rewrapped all the wires including where they were originally wrapped together.

The #1 injector was the worst. Least amount of space to work with, but I did it. Also rewrapped the single wire going to the thermostat housing. It was broken and exposed the wire.

Don't think I did too terrible of a job. Thoughts? Critiques? Lemme have it. This is the only thing I've ever wired besides a stereo head unit.

Tools used.

Not too bad. 20 bucks for this. It'll last quite a while, I suspect.

Where I left her this evening. The intake is actually loosely bolted down. I still need to re-route some wires as the cold start injector pig tail is not long enough at the moment and some other wires are more taut than I'd like.

Where does this blue spade go?! I'm fairly certain that it will be painfully obvious and make me feel like a dunce, but I do need the help.

​​​final note... I've searched through my FSM and cannot find a pic of the coolant line routing. Since I got rid of the factory oil cooler I swapped those coolant lines to the standard 22re coolant setup on the passenger side. I have a random U shaped coolant line that I have no clue where it goes to. It's brand new, so I know I bought it. My memory is just giving me fits. I'm gonna blame it on me being sick. Yea.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue spade goes to the temp sensor right under it in the picture.

the u shaped hose is under the front side of the intake manifold/thermostat housing

Last edited by 92ehatch; 02-03-2017 at 04:29 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:30 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Attached is the Toyota electrical repair work book, you didn't over lap your wire inside the clamp from what I see it's already clamped an only had one wire. It will work but might have a bit more resistance. I do use storehouse kit also I'm not a big fan, inside that PDF is the OEM part numbers for wire clamps to make splices.

Will take awhile to find the water flow image Google will hook you up, but it's probably clear as mud however.
16261?

​​​​​Dash gauge temp sensor, always blue
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
5.PDF (269.7 KB, 112 views)
Old 02-03-2017, 04:36 AM

Ps

That hose entering the image at the bottom left is on backwards, it's not supposed to go on that easy. Lol I didn't thing to swap the ends around it would have gone on so much easier, I know this because I reused the old one and it had lots of memory to it where it pinched between the head and thermostat housing.

When/If I get a new one I'll spin it around also and not bust knuckles getting it on, thanks!
Old 02-03-2017, 06:13 AM

The wires are overlapped to an exrent. I stripped the wires on the injector pigtails longer so they spanned the entire length of the metal inner. Then clamped it. So at least the harness side of the connector is overlapped.

blue spade, dangit! I knew it was simple! As soon as I read what you posted, it hit me that there is another sensor in the lower intake housing itself. Smh.
​​​​​​
16261, yes! I see now. The lower intake stI'll has the factory oil cooler hoe attached there. That's why I couldn't see where the u bend goes!

as for the hose that's facing the wrong way, I'm not sure which one you're speaking of.

as always, thanks Co. You have been great help!
Old 02-03-2017, 09:13 AM

Water bypass #2

Originally Posted by space-junk
The wires are overlapped to an exrent. I stripped the wires on the injector pigtails longer so they spanned the entire length of the metal inner. Then clamped it. So at least the harness side of the connector is overlapped.

blue spade, dangit! I knew it was simple! As soon as I read what you posted, it hit me that there is another sensor in the lower intake housing itself. Smh.
​​​​​​
16261, yes! I see now. The lower intake stI'll has the factory oil cooler hoe attached there. That's why I couldn't see where the u bend goes!

as for the hose that's facing the wrong way, I'm not sure which one you're speaking of.

as always, thanks Co. You have been great help!
Think it is number two, the over view shot kind of looks like the other end might not be connected which would account for the extra play I am seeing. Let me trudge out into the snow for a pic I guess. But it'll be a ˟˟˟˟ty tablet cam.
And yes that is frost all over looking like mold!
90° elbow behind thermostat housing

Under the vacuum hardline

Wrap around the tstat to just below the TPS

I'd say just pop the thermostat housing off and wedge it in there. Doesn't matter so much where it routes as long as it gets to the right spot and you can get at the temp sensor clip and housing bolts. Just make it work however works for you..

There I froze my butt off. not so much hate?
Old 02-07-2017, 04:36 PM
dno

no idea. found it with google, but i dont think its a truck. i think its either a corolla or corona.
That's a Celica GT or GTS engine bay. The 82-85 Celica GT and GTS came with EFI, but not turbo, so that was added. It's important to note that many of the EFI parts are interchangeable between the trucks and the Celicas, as Toyota EFI on these engines evolved over time. At least up to 84, the ignition in the Celica is not controlled by the computer. It uses the same vacuum advance distributor as a carb'd 22r.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:58 PM
dno

Thanks guys...

*sigh* pipe dream... Lol... But it's gorgeous...

This one.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:07 PM
dno

Digging the dizzyless 4 coil setup. I bet he's running a standalone, especially because there's an AEM wiring diagram on the windshield.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:17 PM

Well thank you

Originally Posted by dno
Digging the dizzyless 4 coil setup. I bet he's running a standalone, especially because there's an AEM wiring diagram on the windshield.
That one is pretty smooth, right up till the wiring harness explodes under the intake (1st pic) what you ran out of wire sheath?
Old 02-07-2017, 05:29 PM

I have no idea. I found those pics by googling 22ret. but, good to know if i ever get a celica.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:03 AM

Well, sinice it's been dumping buckets of rain here and the shop is surrounded by a 15' wide 6" deep moat, I've decided to do some research and planning.

First up is steering rebuild items. Was considering going all moog, but with the bad reviews they've gotten during the past decade, I've decided against them. I'm going to be getting a full compliment of parts from Proforged. I've heard great things about them and a million mile warranty is pretty awesome.

Next, Doomy and I have been discussing light bars. She wants it on the roof, but it'll blind us by lighting up the hood. I want it on the hood because it'll block the light and I think it looks good there. So, we compromised and it's going on the roof. Lmao. However we will be buying a windshield visor from toyotafiberglass (same place we will be getting the fiberglass fenders from in the future) as well as a smoothie cowl to compliment it. The cap solves the blinding light issue by blocking the light from hitting the hood and still allows it to be roof mounted. The cowl will allow is to keep the cowl vents cleared from all the debris that falls out of the trees covering out driveway. (Country living, you know how it is.)

And last but not least, my 3/8" coolant hose showed up along with the 3" exhaust turn down. The line will go from the charge pipe to the radiator (still need to get the fitting for the radiator) and the turndown will keep the downpipe from melting the floor board on the way to the exhaust shop. I might have made a mistake, though. Can't get to the shop to see, but I think the dump pipe might be 2.5" and not 3". Oh well, live and learn. If it's too big, I'll just find somewhere else to use it later. (Giggity)

Old 02-10-2017, 04:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by habanero
What? Doomy was laughing at me specifically??

She does need to post more.....take some credit woman, you earned it.
definitely was NOT laughing at you hab. I just have a bad habit of typing lol on everything.

"oh, your grandma died? I'm sorry, lol."

I'm one of THOSE.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by doomy
definitely was NOT laughing at you hab. I just have a bad habit of typing lol on everything.

"oh, your grandma died? I'm sorry, lol."

I'm one of THOSE.
And I have a bad habit of joking around and playing with words.... life should be a good laugh as much as possible. Death, maybe not so much.
I hope people find good reasons to lol me when I'm pushin' daisies.

I've got lights on the roof but they are far enough back that they don't light the hood. When I open the sunroof cover, however, all bets are off (My eyes! My eyes!).
Aren't there also shades that attach to the bottom of lights or is that just for kc's?
Old 02-16-2017, 02:05 AM

A leetle more done tonight. Got the low pressure line installed. Old one was cracked and leaking. Got the belts in place with the exception of the A/C belt. No matter what I do I just can't get that one on. Any tips there? Also got the radiator installed and started fiddling with the intake tube for the turbo, but the wind picked up and I had to get my little helpers back in the house before it started raining. Guess I'll get back out there as soon as I get a break. This storm is supposed to last for 6 days. We will see. In the mean time, I'm ordering 3 quarts of redline Dex4 ATF for the PS system and the trans. I'm also ordering another turn down (correct size this time which is 2.25". ALWAYS MEASURE!), the flanges and another gasket to build the test pipe for the exhaust, the borla ProXS Muffler and the exide battery. Side note, I'm talking to a guy on here to buy his SwayAWay Tbars, Dif drop, and BJ Spacers. Even tho they're suspension parts, they are pretty big ticket items and I can't pass the deal up. Wish me luck.

​​​​​​Hopefully soon I can do last checks and get it full of fluids and check for leaks. As always, some pictured of my paltry progress.

told you guys there was some jenky fluid in the PS system. Might even be motor oil.

New PS low pressure line installed. It's actually the 5/8" coolant line that I bought before. Because it's low pressure, it should be fine. And if it doesn't react well with the ATF then I gull I'll change it.
​​​​

I cannot for the life of me get the A/C belt installed. I even pulled out the idler Adjuster bolt completely (it's bent and needs replacing anyways) and I still can't get it.

Where she sits for now.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:06 AM

Atf and power steering fluid will eat and swell coolant lines. I would suggest doing that over.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:27 AM

Hatch, yea, I will change it. I did a Google search after posting that. Oh well, guess I get to put in an order for some hydraulic hose.

fiddled with the truck some more tonight. Trying to figure out where things go and whatnot. Got little things here and there sorted lIke the A/C belt on and some hoses and electrical lines routed more efficiently. Realised that it makes life easier for me to take the throttle body off while putting the intake on and off every 5 minutes checking things.

got that hose routed correctly, Co.

So, this is the big air line that goes down to the IACV, I believe. It seems to be hooked up correctly.

However, this is my problem... that tube that comes off the water pump. The stock setup goes to the oil cooler, but I dont have that anymore. I have the U shaped hose (16261) but I can't see where it would connect to. I know that where it goes, but there's no other open barb I can see under the intake. (More research on Google and I realise I've been missing the barb completely. It's the one directly under the thermostat. Oops.)

Baby steps. A little closer trying to get all sorted.

Last edited by space-junk; 02-17-2017 at 04:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Doomys 87 Turbo 4runner Build thread