Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Reverse lights backup switch issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverse lights backup switch issue

So I just got a 1980 toyota pickup, very clean inside and out, but I have come to notice that there is no reverse lights. I've done my research, gotten my hands dirty for hours, and took it in for a diagnostics. Now that I have located the source of the issue, which was not bulbs, fuses, wiring, grounds ect., I just need to figure out how to fix the issue. What I have come to find out is that the button on the backup switch, located on the transmission case which I installed a new one, is not being pressed when the shifter is put into reverse. The Mechanic who diagnosed it said the prong/button was not sticking out far enough, and suggested possibly welding something to extend the prong, which I thought was not the best idea. But on taking the switch out, the reverse lights worked manually. Could it be that the switch needs to be tightened into the transmission case deeper, or that I can buy a switch with a longer prong? Or is it possible that the stickshift has a piece that's failed internally and can no longer press the button... it is hard to shift into reverse sometimes as a side note. Tell me what your thoughts are and if anyone has ran into or solved a similar issue... thanks Aloha