Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

New AMD Build (lota pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by kevtek
Nice PCs guys!

Maybe a Yotatech tower thread is in order...
I thought about creating a sticky the other nigh titled "PC's of YotaTech" here in the computer section

may do that here in a bit

might have to make it say "Computers of YotaTech", so as to not upset the Mac guys
Old 11-24-2010, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
might have to make it say "Computers of YotaTech", so as to not upset the Mac guys
Macs kinda look the same

I mean of course we shouldn't exclude our apple powered Yotatecheans.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:58 PM

I thought about creating a sticky the other nigh titled "PC's of YotaTech" here in the computer section
Good idea, I'm not on any computer forums either so it's nice to see what people are doing with their computers on YT
Old 11-24-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd be down for that!

Any of you OR folks ever head to PDXLAN?
Old 11-30-2010, 04:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

may do that here in a bit

Well, all Macs are technically PCs... so PCs of YotaTech should be kosher, unless somewhere here has an HPC cluster or something...

I'm building a new computer too! Ordered all the parts on the weekend, all 5 of them.
Apex MI-100 MINI-ITX Case, Intel X25-V 40GB SATA SSD, Corsair 2X2GB DDR3-1333 SODIMMs, LG SATA DVD Burner, and an ASUS AT5NM10-I MINI-ITX motherboard with onboard Intel Atom D525 @ 1.8GHz (dual core with hypergimmick) and NVIDIA ION2 graphics.

Total cost of build: <$500

Of course, there's a few more things I'll have to get for it eventually, such as one of these, http://www.mini-box.com/M4-ATX?sc=8&category=101 some sort of night vision camera, and a touchscreen, and some relays...
Old 11-30-2010, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

^

you're building a tiny little guy, aren't you
Old 11-30-2010, 08:53 AM

Yes! It's not gonna be as tiny as it could be, but it'll be pretty small. Gonna put it in my truck along with a easy-to-hide touchscreen monitor for use as a gps, security system, remote start, under cab and back-up video feeds, lighting control, etc.

e: I could probably even do custom vehicle diagnostics since my truck doesn't know what an ECU is (efi is for chumps ), and instead of physical gauges just have a readout on the screen... Oh man, I hadn't thought of that. The computer I'm building is actually pretty hefty (it's actually more powerful that my work computer), and I'm gonna try to get *BSD to run on it, or GNU/Linux if I really have to, and see if I can adapt an existing X11 minimalist environment for touch support.

Last edited by Magnusian; 11-30-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:32 PM

Although It's now outdated, my systems working pretty well. Here is my whole setup:

Computer, laptop, 19" NEC LCD monitor, 25" Hannspree 1080p HDTV, Sony STR receiver, Bose 201 shelf speakers, Panasonic DVD/VCR (yes, VCR), audio mixer, external storage, ethernet hub, logitech keyboard, logitech headset, and old microsoft mouse.

When I get free time from school, work, family, truck, and other projects, I like to play PC games. The following screenshots are of a few of the games I play, at full video and game settings. Frames per second are displayed in the top left.

Dirt 2:

Battlefield 2 Bad Company:

Left 4 Dead 2:

Starcraft II:

I'm overall satisfied with the computer. My friend just built a similar AMD system for about $800 more. Another friend built a top of the line Intel system and for the time being they perform about the same, aside from mine running 2 degrees cooler.

I'm not sure how many of you are into PC games. I play most of mine through steam, PM me if you want to play sometime.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:08 AM

Games are why my truck's been missing a rear axle for almost a year now.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Magnusian
Games are why my truck's been missing a rear axle for almost a year now.
LOL

been on Eve much lately? I finally got into a Retriever
Old 01-14-2011, 07:11 AM

LOL

been on Eve much lately? I finally got into a Retriever
I'm back at it now, I was busy paying attention to my truck on my vacation. Aiming to fly Rorquals in the future, eh? Go for exhumers next once you've got yourself into a Covetor.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:16 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Gamer Geeks gotta love em. lmao.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Magnusian
I'm back at it now, I was busy paying attention to my truck on my vacation. Aiming to fly Rorquals in the future, eh? Go for exhumers next once you've got yourself into a Covetor.
I don't know if I'm going to go that far, but I plan on getting into a Hulk at least.

Right now I'm training up to be prepared for some lower sec mining though. Just got Drones to 5, and am starting on Drone Interfacing. Once that gets done, I'll get all the shield strengtheners trained up (kinetic, thermal, EM, etc), and I'll get into some good mining ops with my corp

Right now I'm just buying time, flying around in 0.6 and 0.5 popping rats at a mad rate in a cruiser while I wait on training. I'm running really low on isk, so the bounty has been my only source of income for a while, lol
Old 01-15-2011, 06:33 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Am I too old school in wanting to upgrade my PCs with a better sound system? I've always installed a premium sound card and the best video card I can afford. What? Suddenly all MBs come with sound on-board that's "good enough"? Not for this audiophile they don't!
Old 01-16-2011, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

I can run 7.1 HD surround sound off the onboard sound on my motherboard, so I'm now all too worried about it and to boot, that $300 for the board doesn't even include onboard video; there's NONE on my motherboard. just 2 PCI-E sots to fill with the GPU(s) of your liking
Old 01-16-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
Am I too old school in wanting to upgrade my PCs with a better sound system? I've always installed a premium sound card and the best video card I can afford. What? Suddenly all MBs come with sound on-board that's "good enough"? Not for this audiophile they don't!
I'm running mine off the optical port on my MB. I haven't really kept up on computer audio, and I'm not sure how other MB's on-board rate, BUT, after using mine I'm going to assume that technology in the past decade has eliminated the need for a dedicated audio controller for casual, even advanced use.

I remember my old board's on-board audio (first on-board audio MB I've owned) was terrible and purchased a quality creative audio card. The new board has integrated Sound Blaster X-Fi audio. It is amazing how much on-board audio has improved.

Don't get me wrong, if I was to set up a home theater or something, I'd be getting a dedicated card. What exactly are you using it for?
Old 01-16-2011, 11:18 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by kevtek
I remember my old board's on-board audio (first on-board audio MB I've owned) was terrible and purchased a quality creative audio card. The new board has integrated Sound Blaster X-Fi audio. It is amazing how much on-board audio has improved.

Don't get me wrong, if I was to set up a home theater or something, I'd be getting a dedicated card. What exactly are you using it for?
Yep, that answers that then. I'm too old school, which doesn't suprise me. I was just curious why nobody had sound cards on their lists. Used to be a necessity, for quality sound atleast. I built this computer ~7 years ago. Back then the K8M800s didn't have 24bit HD 7.1 surround audio on-board. I'd have to dig out my manual for a comparison. I just know it's not as good as the SIIG Soundwave 7.1 PCI that's in there now. Which I wanted for the 24bit HD, EAX 3D, 7.1 surround, S/PDIF I/O for gaming and DVD/Audio CD playback. What I want now is a VIVO, which my AGP doesn't have. Well, that and a new PC entirely.

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-16-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:39 AM

Thumbs up New Mainscreen

Finally bit the bullet and upgraded my mainscreen to a widescreen monitor. I looked around for awhile and found my display on newegg.

My new 24" Asus VW246H LCD(right):

Also decided to set my old PC back up:

So far I've only been using it as a dedicated compiler, eventually I'll install a server OS and do more with it. I have the VGA going to my 19" switched at the monitor and bought a KVM to switch my USB keyboard and mouse between PCs. I think my PC is set for awhile now, time to fix my jetski before the snow melts...
Old 03-25-2011, 08:50 AM

Update

I ordered things...
But first, it's time to tear down:

Remove panels:

Strip components:

Remove HDD rack:

Torn down chassis:

Front fan:

I really don't like the mesh and chassis grilles on these cases, they limit how much air the fans can use.

A little cutting disc and file. Much better:

Top panel:

All I had to do with the rear 120mm was remove the mesh insert and switch the wire grille:

Old 03-25-2011, 08:52 AM

Stock CPU cooler removed:

Tuniq Propeller 120 installed:

Fan controller:

Quick Reply: New AMD Build (lota pics)