Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

How many are PVR'n here?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 04:29 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
How many are PVR'n here?

About a year or so I asked this question, but I am sure more have jumped on the bandwagon by now.

PVR, Personal Video Recorder, allows you to record TV shows or watch them on your PC, then play them back on your PC, or out to your TV set.
http://www.pnw4runners.com/tando/pvr.htm

I record all shows this way, as I do not have a VCR anymore, and this is far superior to that anyways.
This is pretty much like TIVO, but free, no subscriptions to pay.

I was having problems with my tuner card, but I think it was my old power supply in the PC.
I replaced the PSU last weekend, and the tuner card seems to be doing better.

However I am yanking it out soon, and my son will be using it at his moms.
I got the Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350, a very good one with hardware MPEG encoder and decoder.
Will be hooking it up this weekend.
The card is far better than the one I have now.

Also I noticed on their website they have a plug-in for it called Wing.
http://www.hauppauge.com/wing/

If you own a video iPod or a PSP, the plug-in will let you record your TV shows to the PC, and the plug-in will convert them over to the correct format for the iPod or PSP.

I have been using 3rd party software called Vidora to do that for both of the handhelds, but this sounds a lot cooler.

Says here on their website:
Works with all models of the WinTV-PVR, including the WinTV-PVR-150, WinTV-PVR-250, WinTV-PVR-350 and WinTV-PVR-USB2
Sounds pretty cool, will have to give it a shot.

Another reason why I picked this PVR 350 card is because it works with Titan TV.
www.titantv.com
You schedule your shows online through your web browser, works great.

I could not imagine going back to a VCR again after using a PVR card.
You can also play back DVDs or any video file you have with the tuners software too.

So those of you who PVR, what setup do you have?
Old 01-31-2006, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was looking into this. Hey Corey does your cable modem run through your Hauppauge card or do you have splitter just before your modem & computer?

I was worried about the signal getting through to the modem when it has to go throug a splitter.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here come the questions...
Also, does the tuner card have a remote, so you can control the operation from across the room?

How much space does a 1 hour TV show take up? (I thought I read a post of yours that said 3GB)?

Does it have a commercial skip option (during playback)?
This is looking like a good option for my Mrs. for her soaps...She records two hours a day and will watch a bunch at one time. Right now there are 7 VHS tapes piled on top of our TV/VCR combo unit in the bedroom...

Last edited by Cebby; 01-31-2006 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

A lot of video cards have s-video out. You could hook that up to the TV and with the right software play the video on your TV. The ATI cards have a remote which goes right through the walls apperently.
The size depends if the capture card has an internal MPEG encoder, or it stores it as raw video. The MPEG versions don't use much space at all, as TV resolution is quite low to begin with.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:08 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Just like this.
The top cable is from the wall outlet, and the bottom two cables is one for the cable modem, and the other one for the tuner card.
Works great!

There is no signal loss using a good splitter.
I just checked my Comcast speed the other night after my format, and it was 352 up which I always get, and around 9300 down
I use to get around 6K, but it seems Comcast has upgraded our speed again.
It is sooooooooo fast.

I may leave both cards in if my son does not want my Leadtech one.
Then I will use a second splitter down by the two cards, and have a line going to each.
This way I can record two shows at once.
Sometimes I want to, but have not been able to do so.

I use to do that when the VCR still worked.
I have to record all primetime shows when I am in bed, as I get up a little past 2 am, so I turn in pretty early.

Ahhhhhh, just caught your post Cebby as I was previewing this before posting it.
Do you have to watch the shows on the computer or can you watch them on a regular TV set?
Mike, see my PVR page I linked above.
All the info is there to watch your shows back on your TV set, as I have links to the cables you need to buy.
Most vid cards these days have TV out, which you use the cables for.
If not, the new card I just got, the WinTV PVR 350 has its own TV out and includes short cables that you buy extensions for at Radio Shack, and they go to your TVs aux. input, the same place as the TV out cables go from a vid card that supports it.
Most ATI and NVIDIA gaming cards support this on the back, and have "Clone" mode in the drivers you setup for it.
Anything my PC displays, so does my TV in clone mode.
Games look terrific on a TV set.

Also, does the tuner card have a remote, so you can control the programming from across the room?
It comes with a remote.
I hooked up two sensors too.
One by the PC, and one in the living room hooked to the TV.
All you have to buy is a stereo extension cord to run it to the TV, and a Y cable that plugs into the PC, then plug the two sensors into the Y.

How much space does a 1 hour TV show take up? (I thought I read a post of yours that said 3GB)?
It varries with the quality settings.
If you use VCD setting, a one hour show can fit on a 700 MB CD.

Does it have a commercial skip option?
Not my old card, the new one does by editing software.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by arjan
A lot of video cards have s-video out. You could hook that up to the TV and with the right software play the video on your TV. The ATI cards have a remote which goes right through the walls apperently.
The size depends if the capture card has an internal MPEG encoder, or it stores it as raw video. The MPEG versions don't use much space at all, as TV resolution is quite low to begin with.
Cool!! Thanks!!

Last edited by Cebby; 01-31-2006 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
im in the process of building one.

but my vcr with a tape works fairly well to soooo.... its progessing slowly
Old 01-31-2006, 01:01 PM

I just got all the parts from newegg today to build a Media Center 2005 pc.
(P4 3.4mhz, 1gb ram, 500gb harddrives, 2 tuner cards (sd & hd), 7800gt vid card, etc).
I've got the hauppage card along with an AverMedia HD card.
I'm going to record all the content on the media center pc in my office, and then stream it to the xbox 360 in my living room.
It'll also see double duty as a gaming rig, which is why i got the beefy vid card.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:06 PM

the core of mine is a hauppage card and a nvidia quadro FX card plenty of horsepower there

Last edited by snap-on; 01-31-2006 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:27 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

If anyone is thinking about getting the Hp card I just got, here are a ton of reviews.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...VR+350+reviews

Good one here.
http://www.byopvr.com/Sections+index...e-artid-2.html

I hope to install it by Saturday so I can run it through its paces, and see how it compares the my Leadtek which is about 1/3 the price.

I mentioned that Wing plug-in software earlier in this thread, that sure would be nice.
I re-encoded CSI Miami last night with Vidoras iPod converter so I can watch it at work today at lunch time.

Would be a lot easier to have the tuner do it for me when it is recording it live.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:28 AM

Is there any reason that I HAVE TO get a new video card. I'm perfectly content with what I have. Basically just want to use it to record normal broadcast TV.

FYI - PVR-350 pricing
newegg -> $169
buy.com -> $134 (out of stock currently)

I'll probably add a 250GB seagate drive I saw at Sam's Club for storing shows...
Old 02-03-2006, 06:13 AM

Im still trying to determine if im going to build a DVD server to go with. Id love to be able to rip my collection to HD so i dont have to F with menu's and previews etc that most new dvds wont let you not watch these days. i was looking at something the TB range, rack mounted, Raid 5 hardware controler set up in the basement.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:37 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Mike, as long as your current vid card has TV (S video jack on the back of it) out, you are fine.

Need your specs, what kind of card?
If is uses ATI or NVIDIA drivers, it will do TV out, you just tell the drivers to do clone mode.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:56 AM

I guess I'm confused. I saw a pic of the back of the PVR-350 card and noticed it had a cable in and cable out. (I believe labeled cable and TV)

Or is the video card for watching programs in the PC? If that's the case, what is the absolute cheapest way (product wise) that I can do this? I probably have an older nice graphics card somewhere in my stuff...
Old 02-03-2006, 09:23 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Yes, in fact the PVR 350 does do TV out, but it will only show TV out to your TV, and nothing but the live TV show or a recording you play back.

If you also want to see your desktop or play a game on your TV, you need TV out from your main vid card, that is how I do it.
Whatever my PC screen can display, my 27" TV in the other room is showing a clone of it via the vid cards software.

I would first look and see what vid card you have, and if indeed it has TV out you can do it.
I would look in your device manager and see what card it is.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:13 AM

The video is the on-board garbage, so looks like I'll need a card. What's the best bang for the buck? Keep in mind, this is not a gaming PC whatsoever...
Old 02-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Look for an ATI 9200, but I am not sure if it has the S vid out.
You can go to www.newegg.com and look through their cards.

I feel ATI has better support for TV out than NVIDIA via the software when you install the latest drivers.

NVIDA based:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130233

Not S vid out, but it still supports the type of cabling I have info on my PVR page.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121525

I am sure a few members may even have one laying around here to unload, as they are 3 to 4 years old, and can not handle todays games at all.
If you do not plan to game, they are a good deal.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:02 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Mike, some freebie software to tunr your PC into one of these media center PCs.
http://www.gbpvr.com/

Screenies
http://www.gbpvr.com/screenshots.htm

It also works with the HP350 card.

I may try it out, but I need to research more first to see if it works with the remote control or not.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Titan TV

Mike, another reason I recommend a tuner card that works with Titan TV.
http://ww2.titantv.com/ttv/grid/aboutpvrwatchfull.aspx

With the web based page, you setup all the recordings right from your web browser.
Piece of cake, and you never have to enter it the hard way into your PVR software that comes with the card.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:20 PM

Great info Corey! Thanks!!

I've spent the last hour or so trying to find a conversion cable to go froom RG59 (std cable connection) to S-Video on these video cards. Is there no-such animal? My TV is older (can't even add a DVD player to it...)

Quick Reply: How many are PVR'n here?