Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Halo 2 (2, 2, 2 threads in one)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 06:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just wanna go on record and say... gawd I suck at console games!

The major thing for me is not having the absolute aiming control that you get with a mouse. i.e., when you move the mouse from A->B, then the rotation stops at "B". With console games, pushing on the stick starts a rotation that doesn't stop. That's a HUGE difference for me.

Anyway... I was on with a buddy for a bit last night in a 1-on-1 - donik (I think it was you, "invisible torso"?) popped in at the last 10 seconds to see the final score of me getting my arse whipped. After that, I figured I'd start into the campaign and get some practice.

I'll be in and out and around as I get brave - or as the beer takes effect!
Old 11-11-2004, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah mark. that was me. i didnt know it was 1v1 so, my apologies. then again, i didnt get to play because i got in right at the end like you said.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:50 AM

Mark, you can adjust the controls some. I think you can slow the rotation down and some other things that may help with your "tick"

Looks like I should be on around 6pm PST tonight.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:24 AM
Bud

do you guys use head sets?
Old 11-11-2004, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Bud
I usually don't, can't stand to listen to 12yo kids slinging the F bomb every other word. I think I will since it will be with the more civilized YT clan.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:43 AM
Bud

Originally Posted by GRNTACO
I usually don't, can't stand to listen to 12yo kids slinging the F bomb every other word. I think I will since it will be with the more civilized YT clan.
its bad enough i have to pay $40-$50 for xbox live, i'd really hate to cough up an extra $25-$30 for the headset to listen to annoying kids. I learned from counterstrike.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bud
its bad enough i have to pay $40-$50 for xbox live, i'd really hate to cough up an extra $25-$30 for the headset to listen to annoying kids. I learned from counterstrike.
I have found most cell phone headsets work with the controller too.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by doink
yeah mark. that was me. i didnt know it was 1v1 so, my apologies. then again, i didnt get to play because i got in right at the end like you said.
Oh, no sweat at all! It's just that Steve and I didn't expect anyone else in there.. Steve was just using me for target practice anyway.

Originally Posted by Ben
Mark, you can adjust the controls some
Yep... I got 'em cranked all the way down. I just need to get used to it. I'm also finding that the field of vision seems to be less than in Half Life (or other PC FPS). No probs... it's just something that I can whine about until I get to the point of kickin' yer arse.

Originally Posted by Bud
I don't own one, but will be buying one today(ish). I see myself using it for 1-on-1 things where I know the other guy and we can talk about other crap while we're playing (or I can tell Zak to do his homework!). But in a group situation... nope.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:43 AM

Field of view is something I compained about.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by GRNTACO
Field of view is something I compained about.
I've seen some of the complaint sheets, they obviously didn't listen to all of the top ten.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
I just wanna go on record and say... gawd I suck at console games!

The major thing for me is not having the absolute aiming control that you get with a mouse. i.e., when you move the mouse from A->B, then the rotation stops at "B". With console games, pushing on the stick starts a rotation that doesn't stop. That's a HUGE difference for me.

I'll be in and out and around as I get brave - or as the beer takes effect!
same here dude. I had a hard time with everything after playing BF1942 and Vietnam and the mods for so long. I missed the wide field of view the most though. I keep hanging up on crap on the ground or on corners because it's so narrow.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bud
I do but it's usually muted so my foul language isn't heard, also my dog will sit on my lap as I'm playing and bark every now and then, hehe, then someone will think there's a dog in Halo2.

edit: another thing, I don't use it when I play NCAA Football 2005 unless I know the person.

Last edited by keisur; 11-11-2004 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bud
I got mine about 2 years ago when the haedphones came with the starter kit for 50 bucks. I thought they still had it that way.

funny he said about the cell phone headsets, when my wife calls I'll unplug the headset from the controller and plug it into the cell phone, yea, it works.

Last edited by keisur; 11-11-2004 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

another thing I kind of noticed is the weapons are pretty much the same old junk accept you can scope most of them now. and there's a few new ones but the enemy bots seem to know when they're being painted with the snipers (on the campaign one) and they jump behind things. I like the control you have with ghosts and banshees though.

My guess with the FOV narrow is that the wider it is the more info to process meaning tons more calc's per second meaning more strain on the processor. I'm sure in Xbox 2 it will be alot better if they come out with H3.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

list again in case anybody needs to add a tag. I'm trying to talk my Battlefield buddy here at work to get an xbox, live, and H2 so that'll be one more.

keisur
CynicX
UberTrickTed
Bentunit
Skank47
invisible torso
Old 11-11-2004, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

do you guys want to get a big game goin tonight against each other?
Old 11-11-2004, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

midiwall, i'll try and get it going tomorrow. my mom's computer is up there along with the modem and router. my computer is downstairs and we ran a cable up to the router from it. we tried just unplugging the computer from the cable and plugging it into the xbox. didnt get anything though. i might just go to the store and get an extra cable and run it down.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:30 PM
Bud

Originally Posted by doink
do you guys want to get a big game goin tonight against each other?
i'll try to sign up tonite so i can join the battle. Lets even out the teams since i'm new to this fps for xbox. I'll be target practice for all.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yotafool
we tried just unplugging the computer from the cable and plugging it into the xbox. didnt get anything though.
I have to do the same thing right now. This is what you need to do, unplug the power from the modem, unplug from computer, plug in xbox, then plug in the modem power again and let it go through the test sequence and then let it connect (watch the lights on the modem), then try to connect in LIVE. that should hook you up.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bud
i'll try to sign up tonite so i can join the battle. Lets even out the teams since i'm new to this fps for xbox. I'll be target practice for all.
I suck too, I'm up for a game tonight, I'll fire it up when I get home. it'll be after 6pm eastern though since I gotta feed the dogs and take them out first.

Quick Reply: Halo 2 (2, 2, 2 threads in one)