Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

sound insulation

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cascade v-blockis good stuff!
Old 07-09-2004, 03:47 AM

i ordered the liquid version from mcmasters over the winter. 5ga bucket for ~$60. Haven't had time to put it on yet, but from all the tech specs I read, it's the same as vblock or other liquid dampers...
Old 07-09-2004, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW, I have Second Skin Damplifier all through out my 4Runner. I pasted that stuff every where I could reach. Anthony was easy to work with and my opinion is his products are an excellent value. I had some initial concerns about the tar smell of the product and how it would hold up in the summer, but now that it's been over 100 degrees for several weeks (I'm in Phoenix) I'd have to say those fears were unfounded. The stuff has held up very well and there's no smell.

In addition, I've crammed 8 lb carpet padding in the back quarter panels where I couldn't reach with the Damplifier. I've also used the expanding foam to fill in the pillars around the doors. I'd still like to line the firewall and headliner with something, but what I've done so far has really made a difference in terms of road noise reduction and improved sound quality of my meager stereo. I don't have a thumpin' stereo system, so I did this much more for the ride sound quality. Well worth the effort.

Ed
Old 07-12-2004, 04:01 PM

is any of this stuff water proof? ie. if i were to do a deep water crossing, which product should i use?
Old 07-13-2004, 08:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
HOLY DEAD POST RESURRECTION BATMAN!!!

Originally Posted by Epic Ed
FWIW, I have Second Skin Damplifier all through out my 4Runner. I pasted that stuff every where I could reach. Anthony was easy to work with and my opinion is his products are an excellent value. I had some initial concerns about the tar smell of the product and how it would hold up in the summer, but now that it's been over 100 degrees for several weeks (I'm in Phoenix) I'd have to say those fears were unfounded. The stuff has held up very well and there's no smell.

In addition, I've crammed 8 lb carpet padding in the back quarter panels where I couldn't reach with the Damplifier. I've also used the expanding foam to fill in the pillars around the doors. I'd still like to line the firewall and headliner with something, but what I've done so far has really made a difference in terms of road noise reduction and improved sound quality of my meager stereo. I don't have a thumpin' stereo system, so I did this much more for the ride sound quality. Well worth the effort.

Ed
next pull your headliner off, and apply some mat deadener up there, then spray glue 8lb carpet padding up there too.

Also when you get around to it, add the 8lb carpet padding under your stock carpets.

Trust me those areas are WORTH IT.

the only other areas I can think of that need work are the rear wheel wells and the tailgate.

Right now even with my loud arse exhuast, intake, and tires, you can whisper in the front seats at 80mph and hear each other easily.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 07-13-2004 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:30 PM

The headliner looks like it's gonna be a beeotch. Fighting gravity the whole project. I've already crammed the back 1/4 panels and tail gate full of foam padding -- mostly carpet padding -- and that's on top of the layers of Second Skin I have back in there. I also layed down the 8lb padding in the back. I often camp/sleep in my ride when out climbing and it makes life mighty comfy for those long road trips.

Good ideas, Bumpin'. I have a lot more time & energy invested in this project than money, but it's certainly been worth it.

Ed
Old 07-18-2004, 07:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The headliner looks like it's gonna be a beeotch. Fighting gravity the whole project. I've already crammed the back 1/4 panels and tail gate full of foam padding -- mostly carpet padding -- and that's on top of the layers of Second Skin I have back in there. I also layed down the 8lb padding in the back. I often camp/sleep in my ride when out climbing and it makes life mighty comfy for those long road trips.

Good ideas, Bumpin'. I have a lot more time & energy invested in this project than money, but it's certainly been worth it.

Ed
Yeah, taking the headliner down is a ROYAL biotch...lol But it's completely worth it.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the kind words ed!
glad to see everything is working out for you.
Since we met up, and I sold you those products, amny thing have changed.
our vibration dampers, Damplifier, and damplifier PRO are buil to military specs.
even damplifier is now 61 mils thick, with a 3 mil thick heat shield and a 450 degree tolelrnac eto heat..
we also have a liquid damper called spectrum..
there are a few reviews of it going around.
here zre a few recent reviews of Spectrum (which is the same sound deadening used in Jaguar luxury cars)

http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...highlight=skin

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/644255/6

ANT
Old 07-19-2004, 11:30 PM
Contributing Member

Ed
How much sq. ft. of the second skin stuff did you use?
Thanks
Old 07-23-2004, 06:30 AM

For those of you that have put down carpet padding...where did you get it? Did you just go to a carpet shop and pay for it or did they give you scraps? If paid for, how much did it run you? Just curious!
Old 07-23-2004, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member

Geez phoenix just find a place that sells carpet. I got mine at Lowes.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:44 AM

Sorry didn't mean to be a pest...just curious if anyone found shops that had "throw out" scraps that they picked up...
Old 08-28-2004, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

Does anyone have a link to Second Skin? I tried all of them in the post and none seem to want to work. Even when I search the net, I see all the links for the "special pricing" too.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK
Does anyone have a link to Second Skin? I tried all of them in the post and none seem to want to work. Even when I search the net, I see all the links for the "special pricing" too.
www.secondskinaudio.com

or the specials page
www.secondskinaudio.com/specialpricing.html

ANT
Old 08-29-2004, 04:43 PM
Contributing Member

I know not many people wander to this thread, but I just ordered 180 sq. ft. of the Second Skin for my '02 Runner. I just want to know if I should take a lot of pics for everyone and let you know how it all went when I install it all. Many of you that are into audio probably have an idea of how it's done, and the rest probably can give two poops.
I plan on hitting everything at least once, and whatever scraps I have left I will slap on the doors. Maybe this added weight will give my door enough mass to help ease the closing of the back and passenger doors.
It's gonna hurt tearing her apart. Like a kid with the gifts on Xmas.
I am hoping to get it all here for Labor Day, but who knows. They are out of stock till Wednesday on 80 sq. ft of the damplifier pro, So I am hoping it arrives a few days after, but before Labor Day.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 08-29-2004 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:02 AM

I just want to know if I should take a lot of pics for everyone and let you know how it all went when I install it all. Many of you that are into audio probably have an idea of how it's done, and the rest probably can give two poops.
I'd love to see some pics as this is one of the things on my "to do" list. Good luck with your install. Tearing her apart isnt that bad. It all goes back together if you're careful taking her apart. You can always go buy replacement fasteners for the ones you break. They are however almost $1 each through the stealer though.....

Do you plan on doing the ceiling as well? I believe this is the largest reverberating piece in the vehicle since a large portion of it is relatively unreinforced. Ever press down on the roof while washing her? Not much rigidity there, and probably lots of vibration.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:10 AM

I know not many people wander to this thread, but I just ordered 180 sq. ft. of the Second Skin for my '02 Runner. I just want to know if I should take a lot of pics for everyone and let you know how it all went when I install it all. Many of you that are into audio probably have an idea of how it's done, and the rest probably can give two poops.
I plan on hitting everything at least once, and whatever scraps I have left I will slap on the doors. Maybe this added weight will give my door enough mass to help ease the closing of the back and passenger doors.
It's gonna hurt tearing her apart. Like a kid with the gifts on Xmas.
I am hoping to get it all here for Labor Day, but who knows. They are out of stock till Wednesday on 80 sq. ft of the damplifier pro, So I am hoping it arrives a few days after, but before Labor Day.
Absolutely. That would be especially useful for me.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

At least I have one person.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:39 AM

You have two people and whatever happened with those pics!?! I'm really curious about doing something like this and would really appreciate any help that you might be able to lend.

Thanks,

Brady
Old 10-25-2004, 08:36 AM

Yeah, for sure. I would love to see some pics. I am planning on doing the same thing in the next week.
Mark

Quick Reply: sound insulation