Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Replacement Speaker Opinions, 1993 Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:18 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jlylec
Since I live in Charlottesville where Crutchfield is based I went ahead and scheduled an appointment to have a new stereo and a pair of the Boston Acoustics speakers installed. I know I could figure it out for myself, but at this point with projects I'd rather just pay to have the pros do it right the first time! I'll let you guys know how they sound.
They may be VERY good there, I have no idea, obviously, lol... But after a lil practice soldering over the years, reading up on some tips, I did a FAR cleaner install than the last shop I used had done!(love YOUTUBE! lol) AND?>>> It was free installation! hahaha. I'm not trying to discourage you against using them... Just saying, they'll NEVER care how 'clean' the wiring/etc. is as much as you will, ya know? Plus, you'll save enough, by doing it yourself, to probably pay for half of the speakers you're getting???

All that said, ....... I would NEVER give you a hard time for using professionals, man.... It's your money/time and choice, and I can totally relate to having too little of all 3 right now! hahaha.

Happy shopping!
Old 02-15-2012, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
They may be VERY good there, I have no idea, obviously, lol... But after a lil practice soldering over the years, reading up on some tips, I did a FAR cleaner install than the last shop I used had done!(love YOUTUBE! lol) AND?>>> It was free installation! hahaha. I'm not trying to discourage you against using them... Just saying, they'll NEVER care how 'clean' the wiring/etc. is as much as you will, ya know? Plus, you'll save enough, by doing it yourself, to probably pay for half of the speakers you're getting???

All that said, ....... I would NEVER give you a hard time for using professionals, man.... It's your money/time and choice, and I can totally relate to having too little of all 3 right now! hahaha.

Happy shopping!
i completely know what you mean. I've installed several systems over the years and know I can do it and probably do it cleaner and better than the donkeys there, but I just don't have the time to deal with it right now!
Old 02-15-2012, 12:00 PM

i completely know what you mean. I've installed several systems over the years and know I can do it and probably do it cleaner and better than the donkeys there, but I just don't have the time to deal with it right now!
There ya go, .... and that's that! lol.

Hope it all works out for some good sounds
Old 02-24-2012, 11:23 AM

I got the boston acoustic speakers installed at Crutchfield today. They sound really good but are certainly short on bass so I bought this slim little powered subwoofer box that will actually fit behind my seat! Now I have to figure out how to install it cause I didn't want to pay them $80 for less than an hour of work. The hardest part apparently is getting through the firewall as you have to run the power directly to the battery. Any tips on this?
Old 02-25-2012, 12:20 AM
Contributing Member

I got the boston acoustic speakers installed at Crutchfield today. They sound really good but are certainly short on bass so I bought this slim little powered subwoofer box that will actually fit behind my seat! Now I have to figure out how to install it cause I didn't want to pay them $80 for less than an hour of work. The hardest part apparently is getting through the firewall as you have to run the power directly to the battery. Any tips on this?
easiest way is through the same grommet your hood release cable runs through... just follow it along and zip tie your speaker wires to it as you go it will take you right along the rad support from there zip tie to the harness that runs across here straight to the batt. put your fuse close to the batt. to protect the whole circuit... in the cab come out of the grommet and move left zip tie to the back side of the inner body frame here near the fuse box and drop down remove the door sill lift the carpet edge and run through [or beside] the whitish plastic duct here and come out near the seat belt anchor.

* if you loosen the 4 bolts that hold the rad to the rad support it will ease back out of your way as you attach the wires to the harness that comes across here. fwiw I'd use at least 12 awg for the purpose unless the manual recommends heavier

hope this helps
aviator

Last edited by aviator; 02-25-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
easiest way is through the same grommet your hood release cable runs through... just follow it along and zip tie your speaker wires to it as you go it will take you right along the rad support from there zip tie to the harness that runs across here straight to the batt. put your fuse close to the batt. to protect the whole circuit... in the cab come out of the grommet and move left zip tie to the back side of the inner body frame here near the fuse box and drop down remove the door sill lift the carpet edge and run through [or beside] the whitish plastic duct here and come out near the seat belt anchor.

* if you loosen the 4 bolts that hold the rad to the rad support it will ease back out of your way as you attach the wires to the harness that comes across here. fwiw I'd use at least 12 awg for the purpose unless the manual recommends heavier

hope this helps
aviator
ORRRRRRrrrrrrrr, lol, ........you COULD run it right through the Grommet for the Radio Antenna, up inside the fender(above the skirt), then through the grommet toward the front of the fender which comes into the engine bay RIGHT NEXT to the battery.... I did this for my 8" Off Road lights relay wire to the switch, after market power antenna, and I plan to use it to run a single wire split into 2 for Aux 12V car power outlets........ BUT, .......since your rig is a 3rd gen PU(2nd Gen 4runner style)..... might not have the same grommet for the antenna(I would THINK you would, but I can't be sure). I even used the one that came with my aftermarket antenna, because it had 2 extra holes in it for running wires through, water tight

PS> YES, run it with an inline fuse, close to the battery as possible, and make sure you have extra fuses for the tube(if it has one).

PSS> Amplifier on the way? lol

PSSS> You COULD get some of those extending speaker housings that you can mount to the door/behind the seat in the middle, running 2 6.5" 3 ways for REALLY nice mids to go with those 4"ers and whatever sub you have.

Best wishes, UPDATE US WITH DETAILS, K? ...... JK, hehehe,
Old 02-25-2012, 10:00 PM
Contributing Member

just depends what side of the vehicle you're going to have the speaker box... driver's side use mine/pax side use chef's lol

though chef's idea would give you more options and obviate the need to run across the engine bay... lol
Old 02-26-2012, 03:40 AM

this is very helpful...thanks guys! I'm going to try and knock this out today. I bought a kit that is supposed to have everything I need to get this done.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
PSS> Amplifier on the way? lol

PSSS> You COULD get some of those extending speaker housings that you can mount to the door/behind the seat in the middle, running 2 6.5" 3 ways for REALLY nice mids to go with those 4"ers and whatever sub you have.

Best wishes, UPDATE US WITH DETAILS, K? ...... JK, hehehe,
The sub box I bought is a slim box with an 8" sub and built in amp. The guy at Crutchfield said they're really not good for anything BUT a truck like mine since they're so underpowered they're no good in the trunk of a car and too small to fill most cars. But since my truck has like 30 cubic feet in the cab it should be OK. I really just want to round out the sound. Crutchfield recommended putting 6.5"s in the doors too, but I'm hoping this will be good enough so I don't have to cut up my door panels. I'll post updates when I get it done later!
Old 02-27-2012, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
just depends what side of the vehicle you're going to have the speaker box... driver's side use mine/pax side use chef's lol

though chef's idea would give you more options and obviate the need to run across the engine bay... lol
Hahaha... Well, was just throwing out what I did cuz it kept it really clean and everything was hidden til right next to/behind the battery, ya know? I will keep your idea in mind next time I'm routing stuff... I hadn't thought of that

The sub box I bought is a slim box with an 8" sub and built in amp. The guy at Crutchfield said they're really not good for anything BUT a truck like mine since they're so underpowered they're no good in the trunk of a car and too small to fill most cars. But since my truck has like 30 cubic feet in the cab it should be OK. I really just want to round out the sound. Crutchfield recommended putting 6.5"s in the doors too, but I'm hoping this will be good enough so I don't have to cut up my door panels. I'll post updates when I get it done later!
Hey Jylec.....

I wasn't speaking of mounting them, necessarily, in the panels, themselves. They make risen mounting plates that you can actually mount on the kick panels, OR, as I've seen done, >>> Between the seats, one on top of the other. You could use self tapping screws into the rear wall of the cab, mount the risen plates, do lil cut outs in those and run the wires up into them. This way, you don't have to run wire through/into the doors, etc, nor cut the panels. 2 6.5's in the middle/between the seats, mounted on the rear of the cab would probably negate the need to even run the tube..... You would have all the high end/some mid in the dash and PLENTY of bass from those and mids and highs from them as well, in the rear(Only thing is, you need buckets for this, wont work with a bench..... You have buckets, right?).

You could even mount a really thin box between/behind the seats and cut out 6.5" or 6x9" holes in it, one on top the other, and you'd be VERY happy, without any added amplifier. My deck sounds GREAT with 2- 4" blaupunkt's and 2- 6x9's in the rear, w/out any amp(I'll be adding one and 2-8" subs in the rear, in the triangle recess of the roll bar over the wheel wells, but you don't have that option, obviously.....

Just trying to help, as I know you're on a budget but want the BEST SOUND POSSIBLE, right? ^^^ That would DEFINITELY give that to ya! You can get 2 GOOD quality 6.5"ers at PepBoys for like 50$ on sale... kenwoods/Pioneers. Just sell the tube and you'd pay for it and more, right?

Just a thought, Jylec... not saying you're not going to like it... Might as well try it out, I hear ya!
Old 02-27-2012, 11:05 AM

PS> With just the 4's and sub box... you're going to miss the 'surround' effect that one get's from 6.5's or 6x9's from the side/behind, trust me! Those 4's are just not enough to give the crisp/not CRAZY but quality and clean sound with a lil bump that you get from 6.5's or 6x9's, ya know? I find 6x9's in Pick-Your-Part all the time... 10$. 8$ for 6.5's, which are also plentiful!
Old 02-27-2012, 05:04 PM

thanks chef...you make some really good points. unfortunately i do have the bench seat so can't mount the 6.5s in the middle (although I like that idea!). and you're also right about the 4s and the sub missing something. they both seem like they're working too hard and just not quite getting there. i have a nice pair of alpine 6x9s that i'm pretty sure i can get to work in the doors. here are a couple pics of the speakers and stereo going in. the guy who had this truck before me wasn't worried about keeping it clean. it was so nasty behind the dash!
Name:  33ce75ab.jpg
Views: 7398
Size:  154.6 KB
Name:  fe8255d9.jpg
Views: 7382
Size:  137.1 KB
here's the sub i put behind the seat. it's not that great but certainly helps the 4s. fortunately it only cost me $99 and has a built in amp so it was pretty easy to install. i have to take more pics of everything when i take on the 6x9 install.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:05 PM

oh...and that way gay rainbow air freshener isn't mine...it was trapped behind the dash!
Old 03-29-2012, 02:53 PM

anybody have any door pics of 6x9's installed on a 88-95 pickup? I have a single cab and wanna utilize as much space as i can behind the seat for stuff.

and someone recomended these 11$ speakers...http://www.caraudiodeals.com/xss422-p-1656.html

do they seriously sound good? I never would have though speakers could be that cheap and sound good.

Last edited by 87xjmike; 03-29-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Contributing Member

with 6x9s on a single cab most folks use those wedge boxes they sell at best buy etc.
you can improve them with some added egg crate foam stuff if it does'nt already have it installed inside before you install the 6x9 you chose.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:01 PM

For my setup i have 4" alpine speakers, boston acoustics tweeters up on the dash, and a 10' bazooka amplified sub-woofer. Definitelyhas enough bass but i lost a whole rear seat behind me in my xtra cab to be bale to put it there. Ive thought about buying a slim subwoofer like yours, how do you like it?
Old 05-18-2013, 09:59 PM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Want to echo Toy89. Just replaced my front speakers with the Alpine SPS 410 and am VERY happy.

I have the factory boxes, and this is one of few instances in which I don't agree with Aviator -- don't modify the factory box!
The driver side box is definitely tighter than the passenger. The top corner of the box towards steering wheel behind the magnet is where it's tight. Add some washers between the speaker and the box, and get some slighly longer screws. Rather than modifying the grill, just use 3-4 1/4 inch washers for the bottom left bolt by the door -- between the trim female part on the frame, so bolt-panel-washers-frame.

These speakers replaced the previous owner's clarion's, which weren't so good. But a large part of why the previous speakers weren't so good is because he neither siliconed nor weatherstripped the air gaps between the speakers and the box -- if you're running a box, you need to seal all air gaps except for the box's breather holes.

FWIW, the Alpine's seem to get better reviews than the Boston Acoustics on both crutchfield and amazon.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:26 PM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Edit: You can modify the exterior of your box -- I shaved down a couple of factory support bars (not sure if right description). I wouldn't recommend modifying the internals however.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:30 PM

Dunno if this thread is still active or not but thought I'd share one of the best audio discoveries I've encountered with Yotas... Infinity 4629CFP fit in the front 4" dash location with VERY little extra work. Just trim one corner on the plate and voila. They clear nicely and are ridiculously loud/crisp/impressive. I'll be posting a thread soon with my latest audio build up.. Includes those babies in the dash, 6" JL midwoofer in the door and 6.5" JL components in the side compartments in the rear!

Pics to come as soon as I figure out to to post them.. ;D Lol
Old 07-06-2013, 11:28 PM

Not sure I posted any updates (to be honest I'm not sure what the heck I posted on here at all, haha. ....wait, where am I? Lol)....

So, .... After upgrading my deck to and 8 series pioneer bluetooth deck, during the soundproofing and insulation in the cargo mods of my 87 4Runner.... Just about 10 minutes from reinstalling my speakers ..... I punctured my good old TSL690 pioneer 6x9 speakers. I had them around 15 years, and I gotta say they really blew people away with the quality of sound and depth of Bass and clean highs that they put out. None the less I was down to one speaker out of a pair and decided to give myself a birthday present. I called a buddy that works at Best Buy and he had an open box that was also on clearance( yes, you guessed right, he opened the box for me right when they went on clearance...).... I ended up getting the DXi690 Polks for $79 for the pair... I am honestly blown away at how much better they sound than my buddies newer model Boston Acoustics'. I looked quite a bit into 6 by 9 speakers and found that most everyone I know and then upon the sites as well were saying that they were very pleased with the DX I series from Polk, but yet I was reading lots of bad reviews about the infinity higher end speakers and especially the mid level ones . I'm absolutely stoked by how they sound... I fully sound deadened and insulated my rear panels and then built new inner panels out of half inch birch that I coated and then carpeted with BedRug.....

So I have competition series blaupunkt 4 inch in the dash. ....Dxi 690 Polk 6x9's now on the center/rear and A 10 inch JL Audio competition sub. The only thing I have amplified at the moment is the sub using a bridged 800 watt 2 channel amp......

Name:  20130221_232827.jpg
Views: 6772
Size:  2.03 MB

Name:  20130315_182137.jpg
Views: 7078
Size:  2.46 MB

Sub is hiding like Waldo..... except in plad.... and not as well as he hides, I know........... haha. ...

Name:  20130312_000901.jpg
Views: 6514
Size:  1.66 MB

A few on here, Jason_in_TN, Redeth, Grego, RAD4Runner have all heard it.... they all seemed to be pretty impressed. I'm quite shocked how much bass this JL Audio sub puts out... Just gotta have the right amp and set the right hz and levels and that makes quite a bit of difference is well.

Quick Reply: Replacement Speaker Opinions, 1993 Pickup