Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Custom Sub Box

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 08:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Custom Sub Box

My dad and I made this box last weekend for the back of my 4Runner since my cheepo Q-Logic box was coming apart and rattling like crazy. We used the website www.reaudio.com to help us get some generic dimensions (look at the bottom where it says make you own box). Took a trip to Home Depot and bought a 49"x97" piece of MDF, 1 3/4" self tapping screws, and some wood glue. I wanted the box to fit perfectly between the wheel wells so I measured out the bottom of the box to be 36" or 38" I cannot remember which it was. The depth of the bottom is 16". The back fo the box is slanted to help it tuck up the seats well and have a little more storage space. A 1 7/8" port was made into the outsides of each chamber. To make sure it was sealed when i was done, I put some silicone along every mating surface in the box. On to the pics, if you have any questions/comments/criticizms please fire away! Thanks for looking

Old 07-11-2007, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint the box black with some wood paint. You;ll be good.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there some reason you made it a ported box? I can't exactly recall the difference it makes between sealed and ported. The box in my Saturn is sealed. Curious of the difference in sound.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
The ports (from what ive read) allow you to utilize the sound waves coming off the back off the sub. With a sealed box the waves off the back are muffled and you only hear the front waves. Someone please correct me if im wrong. My mids and highs are unbelievably loud, but the lows have suffered. These subs cant hit the lows as well and it is a little quieter.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
a simplified way to look at it is, ported vs. sealed changes how "muddy" your bass is. if you like it tight and punchy, use a sealed box. if you like a lot of boom, go ported. you need to use the appropriate subs though. some are better in sealed apps and some not. the trick to porting efficiently is to tune the port to the proper frequency. subs have a particular frequency that they work best at, like a peak rpm for torque, and you can build a box to a particular interior volume, and then port to a particular size and length, to maximize the sound at that frequency. the recommended interior volume of the box and port size is usually available from the speaker manufacturer if its a good one.

honestly though, the stuff i'm describing i would say is more for like stereo competitions, where every little decibel is counted. as far as just listening to some tunes good an' loud while blazin' down the road, muddy vs. punchy kinda covers it.
nice work with that box though. i want to make some boxes that utilize the stock speaker area and come out to fill in the little protected triangle of space under the roll bar. i'll be sure to post plan diagrams when i do.

carpet that box up, or, rhino line it! you know you'll be taking it in an' out a lot!

Last edited by tj884Rdlx; 07-12-2007 at 09:33 AM.