Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

97 4runner Stereo problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 4runner Stereo problems

I tried the search function but i am having no luck finding any info on this problem. I am having a stereo issue with my 97 limited 4runner. I had a cheap e-bay double DIN stereo that had been installed by the previous owner. one day it just stopped working. power was on but all the speakers went dead. the only thing that still worked was the bass (on a 12" sub and amp in the back of the rig) which was fed by RCA connections on the back of the stereo. So all i could hear was low level bass. After a while it started working again and worked for quite a while. then is stopped again. this went on for a month or so, i never knew when it would work and when it wouldn't. finally fed up with it i ordered a new head unit thinking that the cheap ebay no name head unit was to blame,. get the dash torn down and the wiring was a mess. looked like the factory harness had been cut off and re spliced several times. I found a color code chart and made sure that all the wires were going to the right places and they were. I cut all the old splices out of the harness and spliced in all the connections to the speakers, power etc to the new stereo. double checked all the connections and colors. turn on the new unit and nothing. doing the exact same thing. all i hear is the bass. So checked all the connections that i can find and they all are tight. Frustrated i put it back together so we can go up into the mountains to get a Christmas tree. About half way up the hill, after hitting a bump the speakers all start working. it sounds great. a half hour later it quits again. does this a couple more times then out for good the rest of the trip and hasn't come back on since. My theory is that there is a loos connection somewhere in the system that gets bumped and makes or breaks the connection. problem is i cant find that connection. i thought about replacing the factory wiring harness but i can not find even a diagram that shows the harness routing or part number. if i knew the routing i could at least try to trace it down the bad connection.

Does any one have a wiring diagram or part number for the harness, or any idea where i should be looking. I had the glove box out and checked the connections there but it didn't help anything.