Site Feedback Please use this forum to provide feedback, suggestions on the site

suck tastic search

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 02:05 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Mark, not Chris, but Scott.
Scott has been here since the beginning, he set Chris & I up and hosted us from the beginning.

I think you have been to Scott's forum before since you are into Macs, I pointed you there before.
http://macosx.com/
Old 12-20-2006, 02:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Corey
Mark, not Chris, but Scott.
Whoops... yeah, I knew that. Sorry Scott! I knew "Chris" sounded wrong!

(Thanks Corey!)
Old 12-20-2006, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got to looking at settings and boolean search is available, but it is assigned by usergroup. No user groups had this on. This can be a server intensive feature and for the time being has been enabled for folks logged in.

So, in response to your issue:

Searching w/ Quotes "Why doesn't 4WD engage" will give you a match to this thread only. Without the quotes, you get the full range of matching text. But again, we may need to limit this functionality to certain user groups, such as contributing members, like yourself.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by admin
For example...

If I search for "4WD", I will get zero results. But, if I do a search for "4WD Truck", I will get 231 results. If I do a search for "4WD Toyota" I will get 214 results.
Since FAQ didn't show up in a search, I did a search for Suspension Lift FAQ, the Suspension Lift FAQ thread didn't even show up.

Last edited by EWAYota; 12-20-2006 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:16 PM

Did you search w/ quotes. Here is what I got.
Attached Thumbnails suck tastic search-picture-1.png  
Old 12-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

ah, forgot those. is that something we need to do all the time now?
Old 12-20-2006, 04:33 PM

Did you search w/ quotes. Here is what I got.
So, what gets thrown out when not using quotes? The default relationship between words is "OR", right? So: Suspension Lift FAQ (unquoted) should be the same as ((Suspension) OR (Lift) OR (FAQ)) but then VBulletin tossed "FAQ", so: ((Suspension) OR (Lift))

The concept of literal search strings is going to confuse and frustrate a lot of people. _I_ understand it, but with VB tossing out words from non quoted searches, it just makes matters worse.

I still lobby for adding specific 3-letter words to the exception list. DJ's issue with FAQ is a perfect example why.

Then, I'm confused by what you said here:
I got to looking at settings and boolean search is available, but it is assigned by usergroup. No user groups had this on. This can be a server intensive feature and for the time being has been enabled for folks logged in.
Are you saying that you DID enable booleans? And are the keywords AND (in caps) or "&&"? And is it only within a quoted string "toyota AND truck" or do I have to use parens: (toyota) AND (truck)

I've been playing with the combinations and ain't seeing things changing. Man, I wish vBulletin would allow for a power user mode and just pass the string on to MySQL adding appropiate WHERE and GROUP clauses.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by EWAYota
ah, forgot those. is that something we need to do all the time now?
No... You should only use them when you're looking for an absolute string. And fwiw, it's not case dependent, so "suspension lift faq" will give the same results as "suspENSion liFt FAQ". But, that is NOT the same as using: suspension lift faq (no quotes).

Oh.. AND! "suspension lift faq" is NOT the same as "faq suspension lift" or "suspension liftfaq"

Last edited by midiwall; 12-20-2006 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:56 PM

http://www.medzilla.com/search-cv-hints.html

While all boolean features may not be fully supported, you can get an idea of how to do searches. This "fancy" knowledge works on Google as well!
Old 12-20-2006, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
No... You should only use them when you're looking for an absolute string. And fwiw, it's not case dependent, so "suspension lift faq" will give the same results as "suspENSion liFt FAQ". But, that is NOT the same as using: suspension lift faq (no quotes).

Oh.. AND! "suspension lift faq" is NOT the same as "faq suspension lift" or "suspension liftfaq"
Old 12-20-2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by EWAYota
Originally Posted by midiwall

Right, which is why I'm pounding on Scott for clarification. From what I know, there are less than 10 regulars on the forum that will go "oh, yeah, that makes sense!". The other 18,000 people will have to be shown examples. I'm willing to do it, but I need to understand how much VB is filtering before it gets to MySQL.

http://www.medzilla.com/search-cv-hints.html

While all boolean features may not be fully supported, you can get an idea of how to do searches. This "fancy" knowledge works on Google as well!
Okay, so you're saying that VB is NOT pre-parsing the search string?

{testing}

Okay, I see it working now.

For others that are reading the thread, here are some live examples. Note the number of results these searches return:
  • Search: indash

• Search: firestick

• Search: indash OR firestick (note that "165" is the number of results from: indash plus the results from: firestick)

• Search: indash AND firestick (same as: indash firestick)

Wanna really spin your head? Use "wildcards" ("?" for any single character or "*" for any string):
  • Search: in?dash (this would match "indash" "in dash" or even "inQdash")

• Search: in?dash AND firestick (note the difference between this and using: indash AND firestick)
NOTE: There are a maximum of 250 hits returned in a search. So, if you get "250" results, then there are probably more, but you won't be able to see them

For folks that are confused, I'm willing to help! There's actually a lot of power in this, but it's gonna be confusing to understand.

Also, Scott, can you please address adding certain acronyms to the exceptions list? You keep skipping that part.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Search works fine for me.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/f-toy-buildup-right-now-spike-101954/

I just posted a thread by me in the above URL, and all I did was use the word
spike
since I remember using that word in my thread last Saturday, and it took me right to it.
I did not even input my name into the user area of the search.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:24 PM

After some research, it will require a change in the mysql configuration and rebuilding the indexes to bring it down to 3.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Corey
I just posted a thread by me in the above URL, and all I did was use the word
spike
since I remember using that word in my thread last Saturday, and it took me right to it.
Right, 'cause "spike" is pretty unique and the results order for the search is to sort by most recent first.

"Recent use of rare words" isn't the issue... Try something like looking for feedback on SteveS's 3rd gen lift package. Or, the generally accepted max for EGT on a 3.4L.

Thanks for looking into that Scott.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:48 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

As posted in another thread in this section...
Scott has upgraded our search engine, and he has had great results with it installed on a few other VB sites.
1) Search delay time has been dropped to "0" seconds, no limits.
2) Minimum Word Length for search is "2", and yes can you type "94" and get results.
3) Instead of limiting to 200 results, your now limited to 1000 results
Old 04-09-2007, 05:01 AM
Contributing Member

Anyone have an update on the search problems? I spent the last 1/2 hour trying to find a thread named "Diff Drop!", which I'd seen shortly after its creation on Saturday, but didn't have time to get keep up with. This morning I searched for "diff drop" as I recalled the title being, but didn't get any relevant hits. So I tried an Advanced; title search for "diff drop". Again no hits. So I tried another Advanced search for "diff drop", this time for any threads created within the last week. No luck.

To make a long story short, I reluctantly resorted to going through ALL the 'New Posts', page by page, till I hit page 8 where I finally found it. After I found it and out of curiosity, I again did another Advanced search by title for "Diff Drop!". Surprisingly no hits?!?! So I did the same for new threads created in the past week. No hits again?!?!

Repeatedly asking newbs to 'search', when the tool can't seem to find a thread with a known title seems hopeless/useless....

Last edited by hillbilly; 04-09-2007 at 05:05 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
Originally Posted by hillbilly
Anyone have an update on the search problems? I spent the last 1/2 hour trying to find a thread named "Diff Drop!", which I'd seen shortly after its creation on Saturday, but didn't have time to get keep up with. This morning I searched for "diff drop" as I recalled the title being, but didn't get any relevant hits. So I tried an Advanced; title search for "diff drop". Again no hits. So I tried another Advanced search for "diff drop", this time for any threads created within the last week. No luck.

To make a long story short, I reluctantly resorted to going through ALL the 'New Posts', page by page, till I hit page 8 where I finally found it. After I found it and out of curiosity, I again did another Advanced search by title for "Diff Drop!". Surprisingly no hits?!?! So I did the same for new threads created in the past week. No hits again?!?!

Repeatedly asking newbs to 'search', when the tool can't seem to find a thread with a known title seems hopeless/useless....

x2, I have issues with this all the time. I end up using google to search YT as the search here is hopeless. YT still rocks though
Old 04-09-2007, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by drguitarum2005
I end up using google to search YT as the search here is hopeless...
Yeup...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f92/firefox-search-engine-drop-down-plug-yt-108636/
Old 05-27-2007, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

I am having the same problems.

I have been searching for tundra brake upgrade info and it either comes up with Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. I have seen a few good threads on this but can't find ANY of them now

If you search for
Tundra brake upgrade = Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms
Tundra Brake = Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms
Tundra = Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms

When you search for just tundra and it gives you Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms something must be wrong! Any ideas? I know that all the guys that come in asking questions and then are yelled at to search are getting the raw end of the deal right now.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down Header search

Search: Header

Answer: No Results...I'm going to Pirate, TTORA, anything or anyone that has heard of a freaking header!

Oh, and I can't post here either after paying-REFUND!!!

Quick Reply: suck tastic search