The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

wheeling rig trailer build ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I came across this and thought of this thread. You could look for a House Trailer and modify it.
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/pts/1703333687.html
Old 04-21-2010, 05:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by YoYoYota
I came across this and thought of this thread. You could look for a House Trailer and modify it.
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/pts/1703333687.html
yeah i ahve been on the lookout for one of those but cant seem to find any up here right now.

just for reference if any one else is thinking about this is the mobile home axles are not made for long hauls and alot of them have "one use only" stamped on them and are illegal in some areas and they are hard to find parts for and the brake backing plates are welded on so not easily changed.

that being said some have used them but unless you know you got a really good deal plan on using different axles when building off a mobile home frame.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:46 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Should be a cool build up. And for another point for building a trailer, not only is it going to be cheaper for you, but how many people can say they designed and build their own big ass trailer
Old 04-21-2010, 07:10 PM

The only thing that worries me is that its going to be bumper pull. Its going to be some rediculous (sp?) tounge weight on that thing!!! I am actually going to be selling my bumper pull for a gooseneck, they tow so much better!! BTW you can put the camper on the goose neck when towing one vehicle!!

My Plan is to buy a 24-30 ft tandem (not dually wheels though) lowboy gooseneck and put a cab over camper on the front. Down here we can get this size gooseneck trailers for around $5k new.

Also be sure you reinforce the mounting points for the triple axles, I have personally seen axles rip out from underneath store bought triple axle trailers during tight turns...Plus the front and rear axle tires will wear out pretty fast-another thing to think about.

I also dont like dually trailers (dual tandem) also, can you imagine buying 8 tires at a time
Old 04-21-2010, 07:12 PM

Also I would think about putting a class V hitch on the truck and still use a WD hitch if you are dead set on a bumper pull...I really think its going to be too much tounge weight!!
Old 04-22-2010, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2DoorRunner
Should be a cool build up. And for another point for building a trailer, not only is it going to be cheaper for you, but how many people can say they designed and build their own big ass trailer
Thanks, i got some cash for steel so i got to firm up all my plans and start building, but got to get the wheeling truck finished first one project at a time.

Originally Posted by 1989toy4wd
The only thing that worries me is that its going to be bumper pull. Its going to be some rediculous (sp?) tounge weight on that thing!!! I am actually going to be selling my bumper pull for a gooseneck, they tow so much better!! BTW you can put the camper on the goose neck when towing one vehicle!!

My Plan is to buy a 24-30 ft tandem (not dually wheels though) lowboy gooseneck and put a cab over camper on the front. Down here we can get this size gooseneck trailers for around $5k new.

Also be sure you reinforce the mounting points for the triple axles, I have personally seen axles rip out from underneath store bought triple axle trailers during tight turns...Plus the front and rear axle tires will wear out pretty fast-another thing to think about.

I also dont like dually trailers (dual tandem) also, can you imagine buying 8 tires at a time
Originally Posted by 1989toy4wd
Also I would think about putting a class V hitch on the truck and still use a WD hitch if you are dead set on a bumper pull...I really think its going to be too much tounge weight!!
i had thought about a gooseneck but besides being more expensive and i have to have a hitch, i have no way of getting a camper on and off of a gooseneck like i can on thwe back of the truck because the jacks wont clear the trailer like they do the truck. on the other hand if i found a good deal on a gooseneck trailer i would jump on it then make it the length i want it. it would be really cool to be able to put two rigs and my 8' camper on it...

I already plan on beefing everything up on the axle mounting because i have also seen that although i dont see my self making any very sharp turns with a 20+ foot truck and a 36ish foot trailer behind it, i would perfer 2 7k axles but i already have a stock pile of 6k axles so i am kind of stuck. oh and for reference i went and priced 2 7k axles here in anchorage and they wanted 1700 dollars for a complete set!!!! screw that!

Also i already have a reese 15k hitch and a weight distribution hitch with dual antisway for a 15k trailer so i think that will help. i dont really think the tounge weight weight will be that bad with the weight distribution hitch airbags on the truck and being able to flip the trucks either way and also i think 30' will give me a little forward to back adjustment.