The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Start of an exo cage for 3rd gen...PICS

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 03:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
The Toytec ones are basically stock arms with some angle welded to them. They work just like stock, but stronger.
Toytec has two options: The angle-channel/skids that weld on, and the newer complete arms/links which are a similar version of SonoranSteel links. Both are 1/4" DOM but use different bushings and joints.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
If you want to get into making links, it's not that hard to just redo the whole thing with a bushing on the axle end, and a johnny joint on the frame end. Will eliminate a lot of bind and free up some travel. While you're at it, make them a bit longer to get your wheelbase back after the lift. Rebuild the uppers while you're at it, as you will see they're not very strong.

IMHO, there's HUGE bang-for-the-buck in remaking the links using the factory mounting locations.

My lowers are 2"x0.25" wall, and the uppers are 1.75"x.120" wall
Ditto. If i have to lift any more when i swap my truck i'm going to make new links that are a bit longer to push the axle back to stock location.

and for anyone who wheels their third gen, take the gas tank skid off now and reinforce it with 3/16ths plate........ it will hold up a lot lot lot lot lot longer than the stock skid

Last edited by crolison; 02-23-2010 at 05:23 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by tc
The Toytec ones are basically stock arms with some angle welded to them. They work just like stock, but stronger.

If you want to get into making links, it's not that hard to just redo the whole thing with a bushing on the axle end, and a johnny joint on the frame end. Will eliminate a lot of bind and free up some travel. While you're at it, make them a bit longer to get your wheelbase back after the lift. Rebuild the uppers while you're at it, as you will see they're not very strong.

IMHO, there's HUGE bang-for-the-buck in remaking the links using the factory mounting locations.

My lowers are 2"x0.25" wall, and the uppers are 1.75"x.120" wall
Where did you buy the johnny joints and bushings? Did you just use ones the had an overall length that fit nice in the stock mounting locations? Or did you have to use misalighment spacers?
Your way sounds like the way to go, I can build all 4 links for the price to only have 2 lowers from toytec. My panhard is a sonoran steel, beefed up link
already, and its adjustable.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:47 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I went whole-hog and redid the mounts, triangulated to get rid of the panhard, everything.

I got the joints from PolyPerformance. You can get similar ones from Ballistic and a number of other places. I did JJ on both ends, looking back I could have done regular bushings on one end and kept everything simpler.

Here's my build thread:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...thread-153382/

Got any sketches/pix of what your exo is going to look like?
Old 02-23-2010, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by cpizzle42
Where did you buy the johnny joints and bushings? Did you just use ones the had an overall length that fit nice in the stock mounting locations? Or did you have to use misalighment spacers?
Your way sounds like the way to go, I can build all 4 links for the price to only have 2 lowers from toytec. My panhard is a sonoran steel, beefed up link
already, and its adjustable.
here ya go

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...p-1-c-726.html
Old 02-23-2010, 11:44 AM
tc
Contributing Member

http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...nnyjoints.aspx

Note that they are sized by the mounting width.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:27 PM

Tonight I measured how long all the links where and the locations and bushing sizes and such. Should be pretty easy overall. My upper link bushings litterally fell apart when I took the bolt out. YIKES!

Got some 1 1/4" x.250 wall DOM tubing for free from school. I am going to use that for my upper links. I think I will use 2" DOM for the lower links.

As for the exo cage and the rear tire carrier, all I have it rough sketchs I have made on school notes I should get started on it sunday if I have time. This week is crazy for me with working six days and full schedule at school.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:32 AM

I should get started on it sunday if I have time. This week is crazy for me with working six days and full schedule at school.
Hahaha, I've told myself that sooo many times, but something always comes up........ especially with this insurance bs, tomorrow my truck is getting fixed or else.....
Old 02-24-2010, 06:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question on lengthening the lower/upper links...

Upon compression, and the flattening of the links, wouldn't you have to worry (or at least plan) for some interference of the rear of the wheel well? I've already had to cut about 2+ inches from the bumper/wheel well...I dont know how much more i can go :/
Old 02-24-2010, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by BajaRunner

Upon compression, and the flattening of the links, wouldn't you have to worry (or at least plan) for some interference of the rear of the wheel well? I've already had to cut about 2+ inches from the bumper/wheel well...I dont know how much more i can go :/

Yeah you are right. I rub in the rear right now. And I cant cut the body anymore because of the rear door. If I move the axle back say inch and a half, I can cut the back of the fender well, and possibly reduce my rubbing on my 35"s. I ll just have to see how much I can cut with out making it look like a hack job Then I have to worry about drive shaft length
Old 02-24-2010, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by crolison
and for anyone who wheels their third gen, take the gas tank skid off now and reinforce it with 3/16ths plate........ it will hold up a lot lot lot lot lot longer than the stock skid
That is what BFH's are for
Old 02-24-2010, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by cubuff4runner
That is what BFH's are for
yeah you could like cut your gas tank in half w/a torch, then bang it out with a hammer, then weld it back together everytime you get on a crapy line and land on a rock.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:18 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Got some 1 1/4" x.250 wall DOM tubing for free from school. I am going to use that for my upper links. I think I will use 2" DOM for the lower links.
I don't think you will be able to use threaded inserts for adjustable links with that size. Make sure your measurement and fab is PERFECT.

Originally Posted by BajaRunner

Perhaps, but a lot easier to cut the rear of the wheel well than the front, plus the added stability of better supporting the overhanging weight. Other option would be to bumpstop it.

IMHO, a big contributing factor to Molly's roll was the effect on the suspension from the big lift. When the weight came over, it really unloaded, and there's nothing you could do at that point. The truck didn't climb very well either with all the weight over the back unloading the front tires on steep uphills.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:37 PM

yeah you could like cut your gas tank in half w/a torch, then bang it out with a hammer, then weld it back together everytime you get on a crapy line and land on a rock.
You take posts pretty litterally.... In that case I don't know if I would recommend cuting a tank in half with a torch and banging it out and then welding it back together. I mean you want to make sure the fumes are out and the welds need to be really good. That sound like a lot of work. On the other hand there are other methods I would try first such as using compressed air. I have heard rumors of this working.

On another note I am not sure if I would say everytime you land on it it will dent bad enough to do damage to the tank. I have hit mine a lot and no damage to the tank, so saying everytime could be a little extreme.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:37 PM

You take posts pretty litterally.... In that case I don't know if I would recommend cuting a tank in half with a torch and banging it out and then welding it back together. I mean you want to make sure the fumes are out and the welds need to be really good. That sound like a lot of work. On the other hand there are other methods I would try first such as using compressed air. I have heard rumors of this working.

On another note I am not sure if I would say everytime you land on it it will dent bad enough to do damage to the tank. I have hit mine a lot and no damage to the tank, so saying everytime could be a little extreme.
I am just messing with you man. It was a joke. You never weld on a gas tank
Old 02-24-2010, 05:56 PM
Contributing Member

Well I am going to have a guy weld my FJ40 gas tank cause it got leaks! But, I am assuming he'll make sure there aint no more gas fumes in it

Old 02-24-2010, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah you are right. I rub in the rear right now. And I cant cut the body anymore because of the rear door. If I move the axle back say inch and a half, I can cut the back of the fender well, and possibly reduce my rubbing on my 35"s. I ll just have to see how much I can cut with out making it look like a hack job Then I have to worry about drive shaft length
Weird cause I had to cut the BACK of my rear wells, like, the bumper side peices. Obviously its not bad to cut them, but, I ended up going so far back that I had to cut out parts of the body.... So what I was saying is that if I added any more length I'd be grinding to China or something...

Course if I was rubbing on the front, then hell yes Id add some length.... Would be best to figure out how to lengthen the links/mounts but then that gets into moving the gas tank around, and more work.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:34 PM

Okay first off going back to the exo cage. I had sometime to think about it more today, and I saw on CUbuff's thread that he talked about keeping less weight behind the rear axle(in his case by chopping his hatch of his runner). So, would I be shooting myself in the foot by building a tire carrier in the back, by doing so I would have a lower COG, but then I would be unweighting my front tires during steep climbs. Is the real solution to build a carrier inside forget the rear seat? Maybe keep only one side of the seat? cubuff and tc what are your .02's?

And tc you said I would not be able to use adj. threaded rod ends in that size DOM. And sure enough the threaded weld in tube adapter goes from .81" to 1.00" tube ID. So really all I can do with that tube is use 2" bushings on both sides? Is there someone who sells the right threaded weld in tube adapter.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:52 AM

I have hit mine a lot and no damage to the tank
hehehe

Old 02-25-2010, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by crolison
hehehe

That's Nice.

Quick Reply: Start of an exo cage for 3rd gen...PICS