The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Single Cab Bumper Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Progress has slowed, Been to hot to really do anything. I can really only work from 7:30-9.

But latly ive been trying to find and match the angles to make the recessed lights look correct. Plus finding the correct pipe. I really need 4 1/16''- 4 1/8'' inner diameter thin wall pipe. But 4'' outer will have to work. So i purchased about two feet of 4'' exhaust pipe and went to work finding the angles. All is good just needs to get cut out and welded/grinded in. That i may do tomorow or thursday.

It may not be 100% perfect but its works for me.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:12 AM

So what would a guy have to do to get copies of your patterns? I live over here in Bend and my uncle is a long time local in Oakridge. Floyd Staley. You might have heard the name. Anyway, do you think that pattern would fit an 86?

Mat
Old 07-22-2012, 09:26 PM

Yea i know floyd. Ive know him ever since i was like 5. Im suprised he hasnt asked for my metal scraps yet, jk.

Anyways i wasnt planning on doing anything tonight but today was alot cooler then it has been like the whole month. So i figured i might as well.

Got the torch out and decided it was the quickest way to blast some holes. I have not used a torch in years so bear with me.

Did some grinding. Figured out using the 4 1/2 angle grinder with worn out disks worked the best.

Put the bumper back on and slid the light "buckets" into place. They fit well for using a cutting torch and grinding. Next step is to tack them and then start building the mounts to hold the lights.

Here is how they look with the lights in place. I like it, i think its going to shine well with HID's. I think i will only be able to run 35 watt lights because the heat and also cause the lights are plastic.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by matstaley
So what would a guy have to do to get copies of your patterns? I live over here in Bend and my uncle is a long time local in Oakridge. Floyd Staley. You might have heard the name. Anyway, do you think that pattern would fit an 86?

Mat

About the pattern, we can figure something out. Maybe ill make a cad diagram of it or draft it out on paper with the anlgles and measurements.

I dont think its would fit an 86. I think the parts by the fenders would look weird.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:33 AM

Yeah, its only a matter of time on the scraps. Its a staley thing. We're scroungers. Lol. Always lookin for a deal. That bumper looks sweet.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:18 PM

So i got a little bit done today. Got the buckets tacked into place and i think i got the angles correct. Started working on the brackets. The brackets on the lights have a really wierd mounting system. All i could think of is using all-thread. Im not a big fan of that stuff but i think its going to have to work. I will take some more pictures tomorow on the mounting system.

Anyways on with the pictures.

I know i tacked them a dozen times to many but i was having fun. And i didnt want them to break off when i lifted the bumper off.

I saw these on ebay a few days ago. I used to have these on my truck before i hit a deer and i was really happy with the light output for the price. So i had to have them. Im thinking i will mount them ontop of the bumper. But i dont know yet. If the recessed lights are bright enough i may just sell these.

Last edited by TylerH; 07-26-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:06 PM

A few updates. Went and picked up parts, also worked on it for a little bit.

The mounting system, Holds well.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:16 PM

Had today off so what better way to spend a day off then throwing sparks!

Welder was not welding well. I dont know why. It looks bad but holds well

Not done grinding, still have to do the one side then fill in the pits then regrind.

But untill then its lunch time.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:32 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
What welder are you using, and its setup?
Old 08-01-2012, 02:51 PM

Its a lincon 220v. Dont know the model and im using 80/20 argon i believe.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:58 PM

Figured out it was the little gas holes in the welding tip, They were full of slag.

Didnt feel like throwing sparks today so i drilled the holes for the blinkers. Using a hole saw in steel is not as easy as i was hoping.

Ill post some picture in few minutes.

Last edited by TylerH; 08-02-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:15 PM

One battery down.

Victory!

Random picture of the front angle, almost done with the grinding.

Adding another peice under the corner for extra strength, and protection.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:21 PM

Have not had much time to do much till tonight. Got alot done tonight. Went over alot of my welds, filled pits. Grinded and did some more filling pits. I think tomorow i will grind more and weld on the shackle mounts. Havent decided if im going to powder coat or just paint. And also havent decided if im going to cut the hole for the winch fairlead.

I dont have the winch yet, but the hole would really help air get throu.

Any idea on how to get all the oil off from cutting the blinker holes. I was going to use brake clean, but that sometimes leaves a residue.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:25 PM

Mineral spirits will do it.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:29 PM

Here are some updated pictures. Just need to touch up some welding pit marks, and regrind. And smooth out some of the corners. Weld on shackle hangers and paint.

Was getting alot done and then i ran out of gas. O well, more likely i wont be able to fill the tank till friday.

The blinker is not pushed in all the way. Its still really sharp and i didnt want to risk cutting the rubber. Fog light is also not mounted, just sat in there. It will be more centered when the time comes.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats a lot similar to mine, check it out. although i wanted to recess some lights in like you did but didnt get the chance to. youll love it man ive had alot of fun with mine
Old 08-22-2012, 08:09 PM

Got Some work done in the last few days. Got the shackle mounts welded on. Got all the corners welded and ground smooth.

All i have to do now is grind the welding splatters, touch up the edges and sand. Going to hit the thing with some 220 on the D.A. and see how it looks. I will snap some pictures tomorow.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:08 PM

I got everything packed up for the night and then i remembered to snap some pictures. So i took some really quick. Sorry for the quality.

It came out pretty well, all the angles are good. Could be better but will look fine once i add some texture and real paint. This is just primer btw.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:52 PM

Its not done completly, wanted to put it on to see how it looked. See how the weight made a differnce. And the people at my work didnt believe i was doing anything cause its been a slow process.

I still need to alter some mounting holes, cut off a peice of the bottom mount, Drill hole for cb or dune antena, sand it, add texture, Paint and install the fog lights and wire everyhing. It will be done wednesday i hope.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:06 PM

A few day light pictures.

Quick Reply: Single Cab Bumper Build