The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

OBA using your A/C Compressor and an air tank.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 08:37 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
i doubt it. heck, you could even do this with a small aircraft a/c system.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've gotta read up on this, want to do it to my 88, its a 3vz though. going to pick up an airtank next week for free so i'm happy.

and did i just figure out after two years that "bigbluepile" is actually referring to your blue 4runner?
Old 08-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85gijunk4x4 and MaDkatT44, FYI... The A/C compressor on the 3VZE doesn't work nearly as well for OBA, as the 22RE compressors. Bummer, I know, but it is what it is. You guys might be better off adapting a York for your V6's.

And BBP, good job man. I like the disconnect in the bumper. One thing I did notice on my system is that the check valve wouldn't close completely. The pressure wouldn't feed back through the compressor fast enough, so it sort of equalized the pressure at the check valve. I put a solenoid valve between the compressor and the check valve, which I open when the air tank is full, to discharge the line. After doing that, my tank will drop about 40 psi in a week. May not be that big of a deal to you, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Also, my switch is on at 110 psi, and off at 145 psi. It's nice to have the extra pressure for airing up quickly.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've read about that, the whole cfm and oil lubrication system (or lack of) makes the 3vz compressor rubbish for the oba application.

i'm keeping my eyes open for a york compressor.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by malteserunner
85gijunk4x4 and MaDkatT44, FYI... The A/C compressor on the 3VZE doesn't work nearly as well for OBA, as the 22RE compressors. Bummer, I know, but it is what it is. You guys might be better off adapting a York for your V6's.

And BBP, good job man. I like the disconnect in the bumper. One thing I did notice on my system is that the check valve wouldn't close completely. The pressure wouldn't feed back through the compressor fast enough, so it sort of equalized the pressure at the check valve. I put a solenoid valve between the compressor and the check valve, which I open when the air tank is full, to discharge the line. After doing that, my tank will drop about 40 psi in a week. May not be that big of a deal to you, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Also, my switch is on at 110 psi, and off at 145 psi. It's nice to have the extra pressure for airing up quickly.
Thanks!

About that check valve....I've noticed that too. I'm not sure that the check valve is seating right or I have leaks else where. I can hear air venting back thru the intake filter. Meaning that there will not be that "start up" pressure against the compressor so I'm thinking that I'll move the check valve to the intake side of the compressor. That way pressure should maintain from the manifold thru the compressor...hopefully...lolz. I only use my OBA monthly, maybe so storing air for long periods isn't nessasary.

I'm also considering upgrading my pressure switch to a higher on/off pressure.

Did a trail run yesterday with one other rig and successfully aired up 8, 35" tires in less time than at the gas station. It cycled flawlessly and had no issues.

Notes:
-It is obnoxious that the truck is running the whole time while doing this. So, the rig doesn't get a nice cool down period.
-I'm now thinking that a 4way air system would be even faster.
-Check valve relocate.
-I'm going to relocate the water seperator to the output on the air tank. I noticed that there was A LOT of water being generated. Which makes sence due to where the tank is located...by the exhaust...hot tank...cold compressed air...water... The water serperator is working to put in dry air which is really a moot point because of the hot tank.
-Upgrade pressure switch to a higher pressure.

Oh and I have no idea about the 3.0 A/C compressor, I wasn't even sure this was going to work...lolz.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:12 AM

So on curious what has been your total cost so far? I would like to do this I could fit just about any size or shape (within reason) under my flatbed. I would just weld up a aluminum tank though.

Good job.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Loomis
So on curious what has been your total cost so far? I would like to do this I could fit just about any size or shape (within reason) under my flatbed. I would just weld up a aluminum tank though.

Good job.

Thanks!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell...it all depends on what you have layin around. I WAS going to list the cost but thought better of it...again, it all depends on what YOU can source.

The tank was free.

Stuff I had:
-air hose
-gauge
-mounting hardware
-metal
-ATF

Stuff I bought:
-all the fittings: quick disconnects, plugs, adaptors, hose barbs(I did have a few on hand)...etc
-pressure switch
-air manifold
-inline oiler
-water seperator
-intake filter
-service hose
Old 08-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member

Well, the wrong part came in.....soooooooooo, I went a head and replaced that piece anyways.

One of these days, I'll order the VSV I need...
Old 08-29-2011, 12:35 PM

hey, i've got 4 of those little buggers on my valve cover... want one? haha (jk)

one of these days it'll be done...
Old 08-29-2011, 12:47 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
lol I got two or three on mine that I aint even using.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

I hadn't used mine in eight years...ish...
Old 09-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

New part on order....yay
Old 09-01-2011, 10:15 AM

is it the right one?
Old 09-01-2011, 10:21 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
lol, dang and I might be making a JY run soon for a "new" door, was gonna look for one for ya.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by irab88
is it the right one?
If not, I'll put it on anyways....it probably needed replaced anyways

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
lol, dang and I might be making a JY run soon for a "new" door, was gonna look for one for ya.
Thanks, I'll let ya know if this one is wrong
Old 09-02-2011, 07:23 PM

Nice write up! Lets see the finished product, how large is that tank, approx gal? will you be able to run air tools or just for airing up tires.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Contributing Member

Well...its technically all done minus the idle feature of the VSV...which I'm replacing...eventually...

The tank was off a dual tank compressor system that was 8 gallons...so its 4 gallonsish. I did take an 1.5" off the end of the tank so it's not a true 4 gallons now. However, increasing the pressure in the tank would yield more air stored. These A/C pumps are not high CFM but high pressure pumps. Most airtools are 90psi but HIGH CFM...So, my OBA is mainly used for tire airups.

I COULD run an airtool...maybe...
Old 09-04-2011, 08:33 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
NIce Man ! bout time we got some tech out of you
Old 09-04-2011, 08:37 PM

Nice writeup! I'm jealous of the onboard air...I really need to get an OBA setup going, I'm tired of paying two dollars to fill up all four tires every time after wheeling!
Old 09-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RMA
NIce Man ! bout time we got some tech out of you
BAHAHAH!!! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? I almost did a writeup on my steering gearbox rebuild...or my elocker install/overhaul build...OR......I'm still working on my rear bumper build........how about a rebuild power steering pump write up(thats next)?

Originally Posted by 89silverpu
Nice writeup! I'm jealous of the onboard air...I really need to get an OBA setup going, I'm tired of paying two dollars to fill up all four tires every time after wheeling!
DUUUUUUUDE! Me tooooo, tired of paying for it or dealing with slow electric compressors.....Having the tank makes the difference for sure.

Quick Reply: OBA using your A/C Compressor and an air tank.