The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

My 2nd Gen 4Runner Buildup. SAS, Duel E-Lockers, Full Exo and more…

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 05:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by bamachem
i've seen you drive as well...

i concur.
You guys think 30 Spline Longfield Chromoly Super Set Birfs and Inner Axles will work. We'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited by yotaman; 10-18-2005 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:35 PM

Talking

Here are a few pictures of the 84 axle still under the truck. The guy wouldn’t sell me just the axle; I had to buy the truck. Just what I needed another yard ornament!

The good news is the frame might be going under 82Trekkers Formula Toy rig. I haven’t had time to look the frame over yet to see if it’s in sound condition.

And one of the donor beast. It had a good life and its parts will live on.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, newsflash-Greg has a lead foot! Strength is key!
Old 10-18-2005, 06:16 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by dragr1
OK, newsflash-Greg has a lead foot! Strength is key!
LOL, Glade to see you chime in.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

i tell you that is a good lookin truck just as you have it. i wish you luck. that is a good goal you have in front of you. Good luck in your adventures.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by outdoorfever
i tell you that is a good lookin truck just as you have it. i wish you luck. that is a good goal you have in front of you. Good luck in your adventures.
Thanks for the compliment.

Last edited by yotaman; 10-22-2005 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...bobbed+4runner
This is how I will do mine someday . My back end is always bangin of trees.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:29 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by DarylD
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...bobbed+4runner
This is how I will do mine someday . My back end is always bangin of trees.
I like that runner but I need to keep it so people can ride in the back seat.

Last edited by yotaman; 10-22-2005 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:40 PM

Picked up an R150, T-Case, everything to do the 5 swap and got a leaf spring rear axle housing last night.

Old 10-22-2005, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

Nice, GREG!
Old 10-22-2005, 08:18 PM

Dual transmissions?
Old 10-22-2005, 09:42 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 4RocRunner92
Dual transmissions?
Yea you read correctly. I’ve decided to swim with sharks without a shark cage - you could say.

The idea isn’t new; it’s just not proven whether the Toyota trannies can handle the load. I’m planning to use an R150 in the front and a W56 in the rear.

The 2 trannies will be conjoined using either an adapter produced by yours truly or Bud from Bud-Built. There will be a special coupler to go from 23 to 21 splines between the two transmissions.

The adapter will also allow me to clock the W56 trannie and gear t-case flat.

Q. What’s the point in doing Dual Trannies instead of the already proven Dual T-Cases?

• No re-gear of your 3rd members. This means big $$$$ savings. The stock 4.10 gears are stronger than any after market gears.
  • Better front driveline angle.
  • 50 forward gears (now that’s bragging rights) - 72 if you count reverse
  • It’s WAY CHEAPER than Dual T-Cases to get crawling
  • You can re-gear on the fly. Say you wanna run 31’s or something for a long on-road trip. Just put transmission 2 in a higher gear and take off.
  • A crawl ratio of 173.21:1 in 1st/1st and 211.27:1 in reverse/reverse going forward (2 – make a +)
  • It’s just plain COOL!
If it works the people trying it now will have seceded in trying something new; if it doesn’t work? Well I know I’ll have a lot of people saying, “I told you so”.

After I finish my SAS this will be my next project. I plan to detail my work and findings in detail in another thread at that time.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:27 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by yotaman
I like that runner but I need to keep it so people can ride in the back seat.
Last trip in the wabbit mobile all I did was drag my rear end and bang it into trees on tight turns. Bobbing the rear end definitely adds clearance as far as I've researched. With your 2nd gen it would seem that something along the lines of what 4Hummer has done would work well, adding in a rear end bob, and then your passengers would still be covered. Leave the tailgate off, as you wouldn't have one, and put on a pre-runner style tire carrier. I think you'd still have plenty of room for junk as well. If this is going to be a dedicated trail rig, sounds like it, then you won't need that much storage anyway, just put it on the trailer w/ the tow rig.

If I had dual transmissions, my problem would be that I'd put one in forward and one in reverse and pull my truck in half.

Old 10-23-2005, 07:23 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Last trip in the wabbit mobile all I did was drag my rear end and bang it into trees on tight turns. Bobbing the rear end definitely adds clearance as far as I've researched. With your 2nd gen it would seem that something along the lines of what 4Hummer has done would work well, adding in a rear end bob, and then your passengers would still be covered. Leave the tailgate off, as you wouldn't have one, and put on a pre-runner style tire carrier. I think you'd still have plenty of room for junk as well. If this is going to be a dedicated trail rig, sounds like it, then you won't need that much storage anyway, just put it on the trailer w/ the tow rig.

If I had dual transmissions, my problem would be that I'd put one in forward and one in reverse and pull my truck in half.
I’m still trying to decide on the best route to take for the bobbing. This will be a semi trail only rig. I do not own a truck that would tow my beast nor do I want another vehicle right now so it has to get there under its own power.

If the worst happens I have ways of getting it home.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by yotaman
Here are a few pictures of the 84 axle still under the truck. The guy wouldn’t sell me just the axle; I had to buy the truck. Just what I needed another yard ornament!

The good news is the frame might be going under 82Trekkers Formula Toy rig. I haven’t had time to look the frame over yet to see if it’s in sound condition.

And one of the donor beast. It had a good life and its parts will live on.

would you want to sell those wheels? It the exact style im looking for. send me an IM if you want i will cover shipping.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by vwfastg60
would you want to sell those wheels? It the exact style im looking for. send me an IM if you want i will cover shipping.
I'd sell them if you paid enough for me to buy some steel ones.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Greg, glad to see you've finally got your ideas organized and your ready to start hacking. I can't wait to see the progress and get to hit the trails with you again.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:11 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Stump1883
Greg, glad to see you've finally got your ideas organized and your ready to start hacking. I can't wait to see the progress and get to hit the trails with you again.
Thanks Scott!

I’m planning a trip right now for March of 2006. My best friend is going to take one of his one week vacations and we’re gonna go wheeling in a few places. Tellico is on the list and I’m still trying to decide on another place.

When I know a for sure date in a week or two I’ll start a thread and see if anyone wants to go wheeling with us.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:41 PM
Contributing Member

You know I'm in. Just let me know as soon as you know so I can get the time off. As long as you rat Tellico I'll be there, the funds really won't allow for a large road trip of trail rides(I'm saving up for a house :cry: ), but I'll be wherever I can be.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:45 AM

Talking

It’s wheelin time!

Leaving here in a few minutes (5:00 AM ) to go up to Uwharrie in Charlotte NC with Mark (zman2day) and some guys from the 4x4wire board to give the stock suspension one last beating before the big day.

See you guys next week. If I can get my camera to work I’ll have pictures and videos.

Later!

Last edited by yotaman; 11-25-2005 at 10:32 PM.

Quick Reply: My 2nd Gen 4Runner Buildup. SAS, Duel E-Lockers, Full Exo and more…