The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

How to Convert a 3rd Gen 4Runner from 2WD to 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to Convert a 3rd Gen 4Runner from 2WD to 4WD

Well guys, as im sure some of you have been speculating, I will be doing a 4WD conversion on my 98 2WD 4Runner.

With the help of Steve Schaefer, I have been gathering parts for the past 6 months or so. on Friday (March 27th) I will be heading out to AZ to get these things installed along with maybe a few other things.

Basically what I will be using is the entire front drivetrain from a rolled 97 Tacoma with manual hubs. they parts have approximately 60,000 miles on them. I then found a W59 tranny with transfer case from another rolled tacoma with only 30K miles on it. Driveshafts I got one from Creed (cstary), and i got the front one from a junkyard that Bruce referred me to.

And yesterday i just picked up my front diff from drivetrain direct to have 4.88s installed.

We are also setting up a Webcam much like Rob (WATRD) did for his SAS on his Tacoma. so if you fine folks would like to see this beast transform, just go ahead and hit this link:

http://www.fastq.com/~sschaefer/Webcam/

ok, i guess now its time to answer any questions, something like "well why dont you just sell yours and buy a 4x4?" well im ready for what you guys got

-Casey
Old 03-24-2004, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a good time. Steve is a hoot.

Why not just hang a solid axle? I am not too familiar with the 2 to 4wd differences as far as what hardware is or is not there, but it seems like a lot of work for a truck that will end up staying IFS.

On that page, it also says Steve will have leaves in the rear before Moab. Less than a year before a solid axle, you saw it here first!
Contributing Member

Ok...

Why don't you just sell yours and buy a 4x4?

Contributing Member

i'm heading to AZ with casey on this mission, i'm really looking forward to this project. fun, and educational! i have to hand it to casey for the dedication to see this though and hope to see his runner tearin in up in 4wd by next week.
i know he got some great deals on the parts and labor, so that combined with all the love he's already put into his runner will make for one awesome rig.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Sounds like a good time. Steve is a hoot.

Why not just hang a solid axle? I am not too familiar with the 2 to 4wd differences as far as what hardware is or is not there, but it seems like a lot of work for a truck that will end up staying IFS.

On that page, it also says Steve will have leaves in the rear before Moab. Less than a year before a solid axle, you saw it here first!
the solid axle has fun through my mind plenty of times, and i was expecting this question.
basically for one, i got a killer deal on all my parts, i wont say how much i paid, but its a lot less than im sure you might be thinking. also, Steve's mechanic is also giving me another hell of a deal.

another reason is that i have only wheeled in 2WD, i figure if i go and take the plunge with a solid axle, then i feel that i should learn how to wheel on IFS before i go solid axle. some people may see it otherwise, but this is still my DD and i dont have the means for my truck to be out of commission for very long.

this project is practically pure bolt on, the difference between frames of 2WD and 4WD are really non-existent.

-Casey
Old 03-24-2004, 12:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TDiddy
Ok...

Why don't you just sell yours and buy a 4x4?

haha
well ive out so much money, time and love into my runner that i couldnt just replace it. too many memories.
also, with the locker, gears, lift and various other things, i might as well just keep it and do with it what i like

it is only money... I'll make more
Old 03-24-2004, 12:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
casey,

you will have the ultimate write up if you take pics and lotsa notes!

bob
Old 03-24-2004, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
casey,

you will have the ultimate write up if you take pics and lotsa notes!

bob
Actually Steve will have the ultimate write up, that was the plan.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So it is just a matter of bolting in the diff, tranny, t-case, CV's and spindles? I don't mean to say that is not a lot of work by prefacing it with just, but I am curious as to if that is the case.

Steve's leaves. Should make that thing go like the devil now.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

Excellent Casey!!!
Man, if I could take the time off I'd be there tailgating you guys and spying from a window to see all this done!

Old 03-24-2004, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
So it is just a matter of bolting in the diff, tranny, t-case, CV's and spindles? I don't mean to say that is not a lot of work by prefacing it with just, but I am curious as to if that is the case.

Steve's leaves. Should make that thing go like the devil now.
yep, thats pretty much all thats entailed!
Old 03-24-2004, 03:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Excellent Casey!!!
Man, if I could take the time off I'd be there tailgating you guys and spying from a window to see all this done!

well thats what the webcam is for. though you cant be there physically, you can watch and be there in spirit.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

oh I'll definitely be tuning in!
That's an incredible and definitely awesome change to your rig. Just like anyone else going into an SAS, I commend you on your guts to make a massive change like this!
Old 03-24-2004, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by casey
the solid axle has fun through my mind plenty of times, and i was expecting this question.
basically for one, i got a killer deal on all my parts, i wont say how much i paid, but its a lot less than im sure you might be thinking.
yea but a D44 and springs can be found for a couple hundred bucks at the yard.

if i were in your situation i would have either bought a 4x4 or swapped a SFA, but since youre doing neither, you got my attention. have fun and good luck.

question: what type of suspension you gonna run? please please please say SAWs. i would love to watch steve install some SAWs on his own webcam. seriously though, what are you front/rear suspension/tire plans?
Old 03-24-2004, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

Cam is set to post a new image every minute. We start @ 8:00 am Saturday Morning, Mountain Time.

That's 7:00am for you Casey........................
Old 03-24-2004, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RTdawgs
yea but a D44 and springs can be found for a couple hundred bucks at the yard.

if i were in your situation i would have either bought a 4x4 or swapped a SFA, but since youre doing neither, you got my attention. have fun and good luck.

question: what type of suspension you gonna run? please please please say SAWs. i would love to watch steve install some SAWs on his own webcam. seriously though, what are you front/rear suspension/tire plans?
He already has SAW's in the front and Downey coils in the rear. He also LIVES in Southern California, I don't.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
He already has SAW's in the front and Downey coils in the rear. He also LIVES in Southern California, I don't.
you mean not every wheeler lives in AZ???

im so confused
Old 03-24-2004, 04:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RTdawgs
you mean not every wheeler lives in AZ???

im so confused
LOL
yes, i already have SAWs and downey/bilstein setup. as well as an ARB rear air locker with 4.88s.

-Casey
Old 03-24-2004, 05:02 PM

Am I right when I say the conversion is going to take place at VERN's shop in MESA?

Are spectators allowed to stop by for a look?
Old 03-24-2004, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by KING
Am I right when I say the conversion is going to take place at VERN's shop in MESA?

Are spectators allowed to stop by for a look?
Yes and Yes.

Quick Reply: How to Convert a 3rd Gen 4Runner from 2WD to 4WD