The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Grease For Sanden OBA Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 06:08 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Grease For Sanden OBA Compressor

I'm not sure this is the best place for this but I couldn't find a great spot for OBA questions.

I'm in the process of trying to get OBA on my 4runner. I want an engine driven compressor. I considered a York but engine bay real estate is at a premium. I opted to go with modifying the physically smallest swash plate compressor I can find which is a Sanden sd7b10. I don't want the in line oilers and decided to pack the crank case with grease as others have had good luck.

My question here is what kind of grease should I be using for this? Temperatures will be relatively hot and some components may see brief moments without large amounts of grease. My first though was a grease containing molybdenum disulfide because it's great at providing lubrication even after grease had been wiped off of a surface. However, since moly grease is essentially metal flakes suspended in the grease, I'm worried it may be harder than the aluminum components and actually cause them to wear prematurely. The most notable components are the pistons and cylinder bores. Both of which are aluminum. The pistons are also sealed with two copper impregnated Teflon rings. Im not sure if the rings can hold up to it also.

Another option would be a lithium based grease. The issue here however is it likes to absorb water and salts which cause the lithium to actually separate from the grease which would then corrode the aluminum components.

I considered just filling the crank case with oil like normal however the bottom pistons will be completely submerged and will likely let quite a bit past the rings. I'd like to reduce blow by as much as possible. The case will be vented.

What's your guy's opinions. Anybody here more knowledgeable about lubrication than I? Anybody here actually packed a Sanden. If so what did you use for grease and how did it pan it out for you?

Last edited by Kolton5543; 01-22-2018 at 06:11 PM.