The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Buildin a roof rack

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buildin a roof rack

Hey guys, I'm currently building a roof rack for my 4 Runner and wanted to post it up and see if i can get some constructive criticizm, maybe some suggestions... anyways, I was having trouble finding the steel i needed so i bought a ladder rack off craigslist and started modifying it. Here is where i am at now with it:

these are the side rails, pretty much all done

Here are the rails sitting up on my yakima rack that the rack will bolt to:

The next step is to weld in the pieces that tie the two sides together. for the front and back pieces, i have some trackbar that is going to be perfect for mounting lights on and a cb antenna. after that, i have some expanded sheet metal to use for the floor on top of the cross pieces, then im going to frame in a little section for my cooler and weld some eye hooks to the outside so i can bungee it down. After that I got to make something to hold my spare down, i havent totally figured that one out yet. Does anyone have any creative solutions on how i can do that? The tire will sit inbetween the two black bars on my rack thats already on the truck, i made the rack drop down 3" between those rails for the tire to sit a little lower.

After i finish that stuff, im going to weld some 1/2 all thread to some plate for mouting my axe, and shovel, and i'll also make up brackets to hold my hi-lift when i go wheeling.

thats pretty much all i got for now. anyone have any suggestions or good ideas? im trying to make this thing as functional as possible.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:12 AM

Sounds like you're going to be heavy up top. Yakima only rates that rack to 165lbs and I'm wondering how much weight your basket and wheel will be. I'd try to save weight on the basket wherever possible as long as you're not compromising strength.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:49 AM

those ladder racks are really heavy. if you put a tire up there, DO NOT mount it in the back where the rack hangs over with no support. you'll jack up your yakima junk and possible the inside of your doors. you will be top heavy with that rack and tire up there.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:44 AM

yea it is a little bit heavy, but not too bad. Im definitly going to be cutting away as much stuff as i can to save weight.

and the tire is definitly not going in the overhang part. Its going to go right between the rails and sit about 3" lower than the overhang.

yea i know it will be top heavy (obviously) but how did you mount you rack, 88Cleve4runner?
Old 08-03-2009, 09:53 AM

it was mounted on the 4 yakima towers until a rain gutter broke. so my rear bumper has a hoop that goes up and around (we call it my "roll cage" hahaha) and it supports it and all of it is bolted down with u-bolts. but its all about to be hacked off, rack and lights sold, and a smaller half size rack made instead.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why not add one/couple more of the Yakima or same style racks across the rear section and that will give you added strength for the tire carrier section not to mention help with weight distribution. Just a thought
Old 08-03-2009, 12:21 PM

88Cleve4runner- i checked out some of your pics (the ones that my filter at work will actually let me see) and i must say, your truck is pretty sweet, i like a lot of the stuff you've done to that thing. The rear hoop i think is a damn good idea. if i had enough tube, id love to just make a hoop in the back that mounts to the bumper like yours and a second that goes right behind the back doors and mounts to some sliders... but unfortunately, i dont have the tube or know where i can get it lol. that would be sweet, id could just make the rack smaller and it would only be back there, i think like what you are talking about making.

if you dont mind me asking, how did the rain gutter break? was it due to the weight of the rack? and how much crap do you keep up in yours? also, if your about to sell the lights, do you have anyone that called dibs on em? im lookin for some now to put on mine and im broke... so i need to get em cheap, used and in good condition would be damn nice. let me know

olharleyman- that would be great to do but im not too sure you can mount a rack like that behind the doors, i think you need to mount it to the gutters above above the doors. I'm also too broke to buy another one haha. saving money for school sucks.

and does anyone know what the weak point of the yakima rack is that limits its capacity to 165 lbs? im guessing its the tabs that mount to the gutters... maybe i can beef em up a little, unless its the gutters can't handle more than that.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:58 PM

[QUOTE=4RunninTy;51197228]88Cleve4runner- i checked out some of your pics (the ones that my filter at work will actually let me see) and i must say, your truck is pretty sweet, i like a lot of the stuff you've done to that thing. The rear hoop i think is a damn good idea. if i had enough tube, id love to just make a hoop in the back that mounts to the bumper like yours and a second that goes right behind the back doors and mounts to some sliders... but unfortunately, i dont have the tube or know where i can get it lol. that would be sweet, id could just make the rack smaller and it would only be back there, i think like what you are talking about making.

if you dont mind me asking, how did the rain gutter break? was it due to the weight of the rack? and how much crap do you keep up in yours? also, if your about to sell the lights, do you have anyone that called dibs on em? im lookin for some now to put on mine and im broke... so i need to get em cheap, used and in good condition would be damn nice. let me know
QUOTE]

thanks for the compliments, that slider idea hoop was my next thing to do, but the more i thought about it, i'd like to have a rack i can take off if i'm going on just a day trip and i don't have to load my rig down. really its hardly ever used, but the most i've had up there is my tire, a cooler, tent, air mattress, some tools, high lift, gas, and water. and it did fine.

the rain gutter broke from me having the tire on the back and bouncing around while wheeling and it cracked.

as far as the lights go, i've had 2 people stand in line(they want the rack+lights) and i'm trying to get rid of them together. but for your benefit, they're not very reliable on $$$. i'm not sure when this will take place, maybe next week? but shoot me a pm this weekend and remind me, and if those 2 don't have the cash then you're next in line unless the full set can be sold. is that cool? i don't know if i want to keep the 2 on my bumper or not. but i'll be selling the four up top for sure, and possibly the 2 up front. they are hella 500 driving lights, they're pretty bright.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:14 PM

looking great
Old 08-03-2009, 08:22 PM

sweet man, i will.

thanks tom
Old 08-05-2009, 03:09 AM

well i cut the section out of the side rails that is above the part that drops down. I found out that that will save me 10lbs off the total weight. I gotta find some more things to do like that. anyone got any suggestions on anything else that i could removed to save weight?

and o yea, my dad's getting me a 16' of 4" channel that they had left over at work. Looks like bumpers are coming soon :-)
Old 08-06-2009, 02:55 AM

Buy a hub from a juck yard cut it down.....weld it to the top.....great holder for your spare tire and it secures with 5 hugs
Old 08-09-2009, 07:37 PM

Well i decided how im going to secure the spare. i got a 5/8 piece of all thread that will thread into the rack and stand straight up. the rim will sit over top of this with the all thread coming up through the center of the rim. then im going to make a spinner that will thread onto the all thread and secure the spare. this way i will be able to completely remove the spare and the device that secures it if i wanted to put something else up there. Here are some progress pics:

Double checkin clearance of the roof and width

More center pieces welded on

Checkin it out on the truck

As it looks now with the floor in it and rear section framed in

With some crap in it

still have to make the thing to secure the tire, put on eye bolts for bungee's, make brackets for axe and shovel holders, add lights to the front and back, add expanded to the rear section and the sides so i can put stuff up there and it wont fall out, and paint er up. I also got to figure out how I am going to run the wires for the lights and coax for my cb antenna into the cab. anyone have any clean looking ideas?
Old 08-10-2009, 07:01 PM

you're still 1st in line. what did you use for the floor on that and where did you find it? i'l like to get some of that for the next one i build!
Old 08-11-2009, 03:31 AM

awesome, i still want em!

And its just expanded sheet metal, lowes has it. The stuff i got was leftover from where my dad work's and he was able to snag it. I'm glad cause if I couldnt get that for free, i was going to resort to using aluminum street signs for the floor haha.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:37 AM

well, i hit everything with some zinc paint then primered everything last night. black semi gloss is coming tonight.

I think its turning out pretty good, as good as i could have hoped for. Still need the spare and i still have to make the spinner to hold the spare down. i got a pretty neat idea for that, you'll see.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:47 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
at first I thought you were building a stout set of sliders

finished product came out pretty good.

superstruct makes for good tie down points. How much did it end up weighing?
Old 08-13-2009, 10:09 AM

thanks, im happy with it. Its a little over 80 lbs. I figure thats not too bad, i wont keep the spare up there all the time, mainly only when im wheeling, so its not going to be as bad as i originally thought. Its under the rated load that the yakima rack can handle.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:19 PM

Wow looks pretty good,
I'm worried about the weight if I get a roof rack. Is it common to use aluminum ?
Old 08-13-2009, 04:45 PM

at first i was a little worried but that came out lookin pretty awesome man! good job

-matt

Quick Reply: Buildin a roof rack